MaxPlusFood's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Taco Trek - St Kilda. [Recap]

Ever since I visited Mexico with my family, I’ve been addicted to tacos. They can hold so many different flavours, it’s like a blank canvas you can eat!

With that in mind, I planned my first ever Google Local Guides Meet-Up. A food-crawl with a difference. Our goal: To sample some of St Kilda’s best tacos.

Luna ParkLuna Park 

We met at the entrance to St Kilda’s most popular amusement park, Luna Park. As it was a food-crawl, we commenced from the Moon-Man’s Mouth!

Bay City Burrito

First we visited Bay City Burrito. Their speciality is San-Fran style tacos, with fresh coriander and spices. They import the tortillas from California, and toast the cheese in between the tortillas for extra flavour. Gary, the owner shared the restaurant’s story with us while we tucked into the delicious food. We also tried refreshing Mexican Jarritos drinks to slake our thirst. Mexican themed jewellery was available in their shop, and Rebecca couldn’t help but get a pair of these cute burrito earrings!

Burrito earring - Bay City BurritoBurrito earring - Bay City Burrito 

After that we walked to Radio Mexico. Their variety of tacos is like no other. We tried the pineapple & chicharon, pulled pork & pickles, tofu & hibiscus flower and lamb shoulder & tomatillo. On the side, we some really nice salsas, smooth guacamole and salty corn chips. It went down easily with a Largarita (Margarita topped with some lager!)

Radio MexicoRadio MexicoChicaron and Pineapple Taco - Radio MexicoChicaron and Pineapple Taco - Radio Mexico

Now on to our third stop, Amigos. Their Head Chef, Sebastian, gave us the lowdown on their traditional Mexican tacos. We tried their beer battered fish, bean & pico de gallo and shredded chicken with guacamole tacos. Perfectly paired with a strawberry margarita.

Sebastian - Amigos AclandSebastian - Amigos Acland

Fish, bean and chicken tacos + straberry margarita - Amigos AclandFish, bean and chicken tacos + straberry margarita - Amigos Acland

The final taco trek destination was Cantina. This place has strong personal significance, as it is where I first met my fiancée, Janeca! Cantina had a bar section with a very intimate atmosphere, so we lounged around while waiting for tacos. Their most popular taco had to be the chilli & garlic calamari, with summer tomato salsa & cactus.

Calamari Taco - CantinaCalamari Taco - Cantina

BONUS ROUND

This was supposed to be it, but people wanted some desserts, so we visited Trippy Taco for some sweet churros and Nutella to finish of the trek in style.

Churros - Trippy TacoChurros - Trippy Taco

Trippy TacoTrippy Taco

Thanks so much to the everyone who came. It was so great to make new friends, support local restaurants and contribute to Google Maps to share our experiences with the world.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 comments
Level 3

Re: Taco Trek - St Kilda. [Recap]

Thanks Max for a great meet-up.

So many delicious tacos!

Can’t wait for the next one.

What do you think? - @TraciC

Level 10

Oh this is great! It's nice to see creative Melbourne meetups. I must acquaint myself there soon and return for a meetup one day. Great work and nice turnout, also excellent agenda. Tacos are my favourite. Keep on sharing and contributing!

Googler

@MaxPlusFood @Briggs @JanecaC It looks like a delicious — and fun — meet-up. I can't decide if I love the picture of Luna Park the best (we have one here in Brooklyn, too) or the burrito earrings. I know, I'm forgetting the food, but it all looks great!! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 2

Was a great meetup, thanks for organizing Max!

looking forward to next one