IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

South Asia Meet-Up & A Trip to Kolkata!

I left home around 3 O'clock in the morning and reached Kolkata by 11.10 a.m.@GimeshIsurangaD from Maharagama Local guides joined me in the journey. We had to check in before 5 hours due to some renovation works going on at the Katunayake airport, Sri Lanka. Soon after reaching Kolkata, I tried a lot to obtain a local sim but it was impossible.

IMG_20170324_072943.jpgIMG_20170324_122153.jpg

However, with the support of offline map downloaded prior to the departure from Sri Lanka, I managed to reach the hotel I have booked already. I have to appreciate Google for the offline maps as well as Google translator which took me to the right place, otherwise, I might have wasted some more time or lost somewhere. Speaking Hindi was a nightmare for us Sri Lankans. However, the Google translator gave some clue to survive with the Taxi drivers and hotel owners.

Google Offline MapGoogle Offline MapGoogle TranslatorGoogle Translator

Then we booked an Uber to have a run around the city. That was a simple shopping and site seeing visit. The tea we had at a street food stall was really nice. Even though it was served in very small cups, it had a delicious spicy flavor. After completing the short shopping visit, we met Dr.Shaunak Das and Ashiq. Dr.Shaunak Das treated us with a nice dinner. The food was so delicious and the hospitality was unbeatable. 

IMG_20170324_201521.JPG

The following day we met Bangladesh local guides. Before meeting those guys,@DrShaunakD took us to have Papri Chat an authentic delicacy of West Bengal. Getting together with the Bangladesh local guides, we visited the hotspots in Kolkata starting with the Victoria Memorial hall.

Papri ChatPapri ChatVictoria MemorialVictoria Memorial

At noon we had a Biriyani at a Street food stall and continued the trip towards the Howrah bridge. The journey on a ferry near the bridge was mind blowing. I really enjoyed the view of the waterbody in the dusk. It was a well spent evening with a lot of interesting conversations with @MahabubH @GimeshIsurangaD @HossainS @AmiteshG @MohammadashiqueM& others

20170328_013746-ANIMATION.gifIMG_20170325_162513.jpg

From that point, Mahabub and colleagues started their journey towards Darjeeling. I myself and Gimesh joined Ashiq to another shopping visit. Ashiq was a real local guide who knew everything. He took us to many interesting places and shopping complexes. After the shopping, we three concluded the day with a nice dinner. It was biriyani again. We wrapped the day up really late around 11 pm. Ashiq came along with us and dropped us at the hotel. The other day was the journey back home. It was a memorable trip meeting many interesting people from various communities. 

IMG_20170325_210715.jpg

Sri Lanka
11 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: South Asia Meet-Up & A Trip to Kolkata!

WOW. I've been waiting for the recap of this meet-up! Thanks for sharing, @IlankovanT, can't wait to see more from other Local Guides who participated in this meet-up too!

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

In South Asia Local guides Meet up I really enjoy lots and learned many new things. I'm  so happy to met with other local guides from others country. Thanks to @IlankovanT and team of  @MahabubMunna  and @Amitesh_Gayen for organised a such great meet up. @IlankovanT & @IsurangaD  I'm really happy that you're with me at the last moment of the meet up and I tried my best to visited the places 

"89425i83C4F110B59EBD53" width="43" height="27" alt="Indian-Flag-Wallpapers-HD-Images-Free-Download-1024x640.jpg" align="left" resized="true" size="small" sourcetype="new"
Level 9

@JeslynL really we had a nice time at Kolkata and met many new local guides and everyone shared their experiences. @AshiqueMirza really your a real local guide who knew shopping places at Kolkata:)

Level 10

Dear @JeslynL Bangladesh Local Guides and nepal local guides continue South Asia Meetup  Indian norther himalayn area  Darjeeling " 29th March " finish this meetup . already we add more then 400+ miss place 1000 + upload photos 30+ place take 360 photos and many more . also collect geo data . hope next week share photos aftr back Bangladesh   

Mahabub Hasan

Bangladesh Local Guides 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Hi @IlankovanT..

After reading about your experience in this meet up, i felt like i am one in you now.. Thanks..

Wish you good luck 🙂

Vellore Local Guides
Level 9

@IlankovanT I am happy to meet you after six months. Thanks for your gift, Sri Lanka tea is tasty. I am having this right now in my breakfast. 🙂 The photos you just posted here are awesome, loved your video too. I thought to travel with you all in whole Saturday but due to my busy work schedule I could not do so. 

@JeslynL Here my post link in connect https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/12-hrs-with-two-members-of-Sri-Lanka-Loc...

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 6

Lovely..keep up the good work...

Level 9

Local Guides from Three countries (India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka)Local Guides from Three countries (India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka)#SouthAsiaMeetUp 

We Local Guides from three countries. India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka. 

Photo Credit: @IlankovanT 

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 9

Great trip ....unfortunatelly I was missing.... next time we will be  together...