AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Six Local Guides, three meetups, two nights and three days, 718 .6 kms on wheels

This is the story of Six Local Guides, three meetups, two nights and three days, 718 .6 kms on wheels.

This road trip was organized by six local guides( @AnuradhaP , @IlankovanT, @IsurangaD , @NiroshaJ, @AsankaJayasuriya and Dilib) in Sri Lanka to cover all meetups of the Map Your World Week meetups organized in Sri Lanka.

IMG_20170316_182806.jpg

The Start

The journey was started around 6.00 pm on March 16, 2017 at the entrance of the Southern Expressway Kottawa. Five Local Guides came on time and there was a one as in any group of friends who got late by 40 minutes. A simple explanation, he wants to cut his hair before the road trip.Asanka, there was no change in your hair style.

20170316_182748.jpg

Short-cut to Giriulla

AnuradhaP suggested a short-cut to Giriulla via Minuwangoda, oh.. god that short-cut was 40 minutes longer than the normal route. One condition from Ilankovan, we would only use A and B class roads. Luckily we had Goolge maps to help us. Otherwise, we are still roaming around Mirigama.

The Telecom Man

@RajithaPour Telecom Man(Level 5 Local Guide) from Giriulla was waiting for us at one of the telecommunication towers he looks after. He warmly welcomed us, and showed the inside of control room. He explained everything inside, and he is very clear about what he explained to us. We handed over his Sri Lanka Local Guides T-Shirt, badges, and stickers to him. He invited us to come there to climb a telecom tower.

20170316_210619-01.jpeg

The Savior

The magnetic “Sri Lanka Local Guides” poster we had on our vehicle saved us several occasions. Normally during the night time, the police will stop your vehicle and questioned you, especially in rural areas. In several locations, we were stopped, and as soon as they see the “Sri Lanka Local Guides” poster, they allow us to go without questioning. Maybe they thought we are from a Non-Government organization. Who cares, it saved us.

20170316_182712-01.jpeg

The Moon Hotels - Batticaloa

We reached our destination on the first day around 2.30 am (next day) in the morning and stayed at the Moon Hotels in Batticaloa.

From Kottawa to Bati...From Kottawa to Bati...

Sri Kishna Cafe - The best vegetarian hotel in Batticaloa

@IlankovanTand Dilib took us to the best vegetarian hotel in Batticaloa. I agree with both of them, the food they served were superb. I would love to go there again.

I am blinking... Photo credit: IlankovanI am blinking... Photo credit: IlankovanThe Meeting point

We met at the Batticaloa Gate for the Batticaloa meetup. The organizer, Ilankovan explained the activities, and first, we started map editing. There were a lot of places missing, and we used the “Uncover missing info” feature of Google Maps mobile app.

Batticaloa GateBatticaloa Gate

What a coincide !!!

I went to bank some money to the Hatton National Batticaloa. I was wearing a Sri Lanka Local Guides t-shirt. The person behind the counter saw the t-shirt, and he asked whether I am a Local Guide. I said “Yes”. Then he said he was also a Local Guide and he has 200+ points. We discuss a little bit and I gave him a Sri Lanka Local Guides badge and car sticker. He was jubilant. Then Ilankovan came, and he gave a Sri Lanka Local Guides t-shirt to him.

20170317_110915.jpg

20170317_111739.jpg

Ilankovans friends

Ilankovan gave some badges to foreigners.

IMG_20170317_112609.jpg

Friendly shop owners

While we were updating the missing information, we met two shop owners who appreciate our work. One shop owner offered us soft drinks. He explained everything about his business, and he encouraged us to take photography.

20170317_103156.jpg

The Art Work

Next started the most memorable moment of the trip. Ilankovan had organized a fun activity to draw a Sri Lanka map and mark the important places in Sri Lanka on it. The final product was excellent. Ilankovan, it was very creative.

DSC_0071.jpg

The unusual Biriyani

We went to had our lunch at New Ibraim Eating House, Batticaloa. IlankovanTand Dilib told this was one of the best restaurants in Batticaloa to have Biriyani. The Biriyani was unusual. They served us the Biriyani with a lot of curries, not like in other restaurants, where you will have Biriyani with two or three curries.

biriyani.jpg

200 meters to Home…..

Our destination on the second night was @AsankaJayasuriya's relatives place. He said it was 200 meters from the main road. He could not remember we were Local Guides. When we reached his relatives place, we checked the distance; it was almost 3 km.

The Kandy meetup

This is the meetup with the highest number of participants in Sri Lanka. Dinesh, a friend of mine brought his photography students to the walk, and it was awesome to walk along Dinesh, who talked about photography during the walk. Thank you @Virangya and Dinesh. 20170318_094159-01.jpeg

Lunch for Sri Lanka Local Guides

A Level 5 local guide, Udaya hosted a lunch for none local guides who participated the Kandy Photo Walk. It was really nice. The launch and Spice World was excellent.

Kandy MeetupKandy Meetup

Missed meetup

We left the Kandy around 3.00 pm and we missed the meetup organized at the Viharamahadevi Park in Colombo. We did not see any post on the Local Guides Connect about this Meetup.

Back at Kottawa

After 718.6 km on wheel, we came to Kottawa around 8.30 pm.

Road Trip meetup - Total Distance covered...Road Trip meetup - Total Distance covered...

Kalutara Meetup

The Kalutara Meetup was organized to have a chat about the meetups held during the Map Your World Week. 

Photo Credit: VajiraPhoto Credit: Vajira

Tin-Tin and his wife

The Ilankovan came with his wife for the meetup. This meetup was her first meetup after one year. Welcome back for mapping… Ilankovan was like Tin-Tin in the photo below.

20170319_181814.jpg

Reviews on Wall

During the Kalutara meetup, we did some map editing. We came across some restaurants in Kalutara North with some review about the restaurant on walls and ceilings. It was really nice.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Birthday

At the end of the Kalutara meetup, we went Domino’s to have dinner. March 19, 2017, was my wife’s birthday, and we celebrated her birthday with Sri Lanka Local Guides.

Kalutara MeetupKalutara Meetup

It was a very nice trip, and we came to know more about Sri Lanka Local Guides and the importance of the Local Guides program.

Photo credit goes to participants of the road trip and other meetups.

Thank you Ilankovan, Nirosha, Isuranga, Asanka and Dilib.

Related photo albums.

Sri Lanka Local Guides Road Trip

Batticaloa Meetup Video

Kandy Meetup

Sri Lanka
72 comments
Level 9

Re: Six Local Guides, three meetups, two nights and three days, 718 .6 kms on wheels

This could ever be the best description of our road trip @AnuradhaP. I just traveled back to those days while reading through. Thanks for the recap. Of course it was a fun filled trip. The accompany of our Sri lanka local guides, other community members from Batticaloa, Anuradhapura, Maharagama, Kandy, Galle, Kalutara as well as the new faces who participated the consecutive meet-ups throughout the week added more essence to the trip. Hope to have some similar fun in the near future.

Videos

Level 7

Re: Six Local Guides, three meetups, two nights and three days, 718 .6 kms on wheels

@AnuradhaP awesome post, whole journey in few sentences. this was the best road trip ever.. I really enjoyed it. thanks @IlankovanT @AnuradhaP and everybody... 🙂

@AnuradhaP please let explain about 40 minutes delay.. 🙂 yes I went to salon and waited some time but I came out without a hair cut because I knew I would late more.. sorry hode...:-) 

Level 10

@Corrie @JessicaS Have a look at our Map Your Week Road Trip. It was a memorable and fun filled trip.

Level 10

This is great @AnuradhaP! Thanks for your report! Amazing travelling meetup! Can't wait to wear your t-shirt... not yet received, sigh!

Thanks for sharing this story!

Lucio

Googler

Hi @AnuradhaP. It looks like it was an amazing meet-up and I love that you shared the detailed highlights in your post, thank you. I personally love road trips and wish I could have joined. Perhaps I can do a Local Guides road trip this summer! I did one this past summer (kind of) when I hosted two meet-ups in Florida with Local Guides a few hours away from one another. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Googler

Oh and @AnuradhaP, we've featured your post on the Connect homepage today! 🙂

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.07.54 PM.png

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

@LucioV Thanks.

I will check with the post office. I will send one t-shirt again.

Level 10

@TraciC Yes, it was an amazing and unforgettable trip. Thanks for comments. 

It is nice to hear you also love the road trips. Waiting to see your summer road trip photos...

Level 10

@TraciC Thank you featuring this post.