MariaNgo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] Worldwide Photo Walk Melbourne 24 Feb 2018

by Maria Ngo (25/2/2018, 5:54 pm) 

Promptly at 1:15 pm on Saturday 24 February, Melbourne's local guides started arriving. I was there in my white San Fran cap and dark blue backpack waiting under the dome at one of Melbourne's iconic sites - Flinders Street Railway Station. Due to a more than 90% chance of precipitation being predicted, I had made a last minute change to our meetup location. I was therefore very relieved that the message had gotten through. We hung around for a little while for any who might have been held up. 

WP_003598.jpg

DSC02994.JPG DSC02995.JPG

Buses, trams and horse carriagesBuses, trams and horse carriages

DSC02991.JPG DSC02988.JPGDSC02985.JPG

If I were to ask each person in the group what makes Melbourne special for them, I think I'd get a different answer from each person.Is it the people? Or is it the architecture? Perhaps it's the cafe life, rejuvenated lane ways or street art? Or perhaps its the glitz and the bling? Perhaps its the street signs or construction? Or perhaps it's the freedom of speech? Or maybe it's the street lamps and the mixture of old and new? Did you know the oldest building in Melbourne, which is still standing, was built in 1837? It's the Mitre Tavern (unfortunately we didn't make it there, but perhaps next time, on a different type of walk). Whatever it is, perhaps your answer might vary with the weather -- for which Melbourne is well known for (?!) or the time of year? Regardless what it is, you'll be anything but bored. 

The eight of us set off about 20 minutes or so later after a quick group photo on the top steps. 

DSC02998.JPG

There is one thing that I've always valued in Melbourne -  our freedom of speech. Here are two pics - the first was at the start of our walk, the second at the end of our walk. 

DSC02993.JPGDSCN2076.JPG

The latter photo captures something which fascinates me - street signs.

Melbourne is such an organised and orderly city of which I think street signs play a vital role. 

Street signs may contribute to the orderliness of a city but no amount of that would be of any good if its citizens were not inclined to pay it any attention. 

DSCN2073.JPG  DSCN2074.JPG

That Melbourne's drivers, pedestrians, bikers and cyclists get along so well on the whole, I believe, is because of the general goodwill and heart of those who live here.  

There are many ways of getting around in Melbourne.There are many ways of getting around in Melbourne.

DSCN2069.JPG

DSCN2054.JPG

DSC03037.JPG     DSCN2064.JPG  DSC03040.JPG

Hardware Street as it turns out is home to one of Melbourne's street cafe scene. 
DSC03169.JPG

DSC03151.JPG

From smashed avocados to Belgian waffles, Melbourne has it.

DSC03152.JPGDSC03178.JPG

DSC03159.JPGDSC03155.JPGDSC03166.JPG
DSC03162.JPG

Caught in the act - a seated couple asks one of our photographers to take a photo for themCaught in the act - a seated couple asks one of our photographers to take a photo for them

DSC03174.JPGDSC03172.JPG

There are many things to feast on in Melbourne - food is one, street art is another. 

DSCN2052.JPGDSC03002.JPG DSC03004.JPG

DSC03005.JPGDSC03008.JPGDSC03014.JPG

DSC03019.JPGDSC03018.JPGDSC03084.JPG

DSC03094.JPGDSC03095.JPG 

DSC03081.JPG

DSC03085.JPG

DSC03075.JPG DSC03096.JPGDSC03006.JPGDSC03099.JPG

DSC03107.JPGDSC03103.JPG

Melbourne is full of colour - her art and her people are but some of them.
DSC03121.JPGDSC03114.JPGDSC03117.JPG

DSC03143.JPGDSC03146.JPG

Melbourne is a city of contrasts. It is one at the same time being constructed and deconstructed. 

DSC03147.JPGDSCN2068.JPG

DSC03032.JPG  DSC03033.JPGDSC03020.JPG

DSC03168.JPG   DSC03167.JPGThe QV is now a shopping precinct. This is all that's left of the old Queen Victoria Hospital which was built in the Tudor style between 1840s to 1860s.The QV is now a shopping precinct. This is all that's left of the old Queen Victoria Hospital which was built in the Tudor style between 1840s to 1860s.

We like to immortalize our greats - whether of the theatre or print. We are not fussy.

Not quite Hollywood, but, she'll do. 

DSC03047.JPGDSC03053.JPG

DSC03049.JPG

DSC03052.JPG

DSC03058.JPG

A seat is not just a seat - it is also an opportunity for creative expression.A seat is not just a seat - it is also an opportunity for creative expression.

"Manchester Unity Building represents a rare blend of art, science, culture and commerce" (http://manchesterunitybuilding.com.au/).  Cafe 1932 is on ground level. It takes its name from when the building was built."Manchester Unity Building represents a rare blend of art, science, culture and commerce" (http://manchesterunitybuilding.com.au/). Cafe 1932 is on ground level. It takes its name from when the building was built.St Paul's Cathedral (rear, right) is another of Melbourne's landmark - it was "designed by major English Gothic Revival architect William Butterfield and completed in 1891, except for the spires, which were built to a different design between 1926-32" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Cathedral,_Melbourne).St Paul's Cathedral (rear, right) is another of Melbourne's landmark - it was "designed by major English Gothic Revival architect William Butterfield and completed in 1891, except for the spires, which were built to a different design between 1926-32" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul%27s_Cathedral,_Melbourne).DSC03063.JPG

Art or history, to Melbourne, they belong together. Have you ever seen lamps like these in a shopping mall or arcade? 

"The Capitol Theatre is a single screen cinema located on Swanston Street in Melbourne, Australia (opposite the Melbourne Town Hall). The theatre, part of the Capitol House building, was opened in 1924, and is renowned for its geometric plaster ceiling. The theatre was renovated in the 1960s to reduce its size and covert the stalls area into a shopping arcade" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Theatre,_Melbourne)."The Capitol Theatre is a single screen cinema located on Swanston Street in Melbourne, Australia (opposite the Melbourne Town Hall). The theatre, part of the Capitol House building, was opened in 1924, and is renowned for its geometric plaster ceiling. The theatre was renovated in the 1960s to reduce its size and covert the stalls area into a shopping arcade" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Theatre,_Melbourne).DSC03068.JPG

Gog and Magog in Melbourne's Royal Arcade. "These two seven-foot pine gents, who have been striking the time on Gaunt's clock since 1892, are modelled on figures found in London's Guildhall and symbolise the conflict between the ancient Britons and the Trojan armies" (https://www.weekendnotes.com/gog-and-magog-royal-arcade-melbourne/).

DSC03139.JPG

DSC03136.JPG

DSC03126.JPG

What will you discover when you visit Melbourne? 

DSC03090.JPG

DSC03083.JPG

Have you ever seen a back alley garbage bin point as clean as this?Have you ever seen a back alley garbage bin point as clean as this?On the way in and on the way out ...On the way in and on the way out ...

DSC03087.JPGDSC03130.JPG

What is it about Melbourne that you like? 

DSCN2071.JPG

DSC03055.JPG

What will you discover in your next walk in Melbourne city? 

DSC03000.JPG

Who will you meet? Wonderful people to share a photographic adventure and a meal with? 

I hope you'll be as lucky as I was on Saturday 24 Feb 2018. 

DSCN2080.JPG  IMG_20180224_163939.jpg

Melbourne Victoria, Australia
20 comments
Level 9

Re: [Recap] Worldwide Photo Walk Melbourne 24 Feb 2018

Hi @MariaNgo,

You have got and incredible meet-up 👏👏👏👏

I like it too much and love the way you have written it with small size pics and test..

Many many thanks for sharing this amazing photos.

Congratulations.

Good Morning from the South of Spain.

Alejandra.

Connect Moderator

Awesome Maria!! Well done. You're a credit to both Local Guides and Photograph Melbourne communities.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich . 😀

High praises coming from you which I'll be able to live off for a while now. 🙂 

Thanks for all your help too. 

Level 10

Thanks @AlejandraMaria

I'm glad you liked it  

I really enjoyed putting it all together.

I actually had bigger photos but they're was a 20, 000 character limit and apparently larger photos take more  characters. I had to redo  everything and resized it all down.

But, anytime.

Would do it again. 

Maria

Level 10

Hello @MariaNgo

Thank you so.much for sharing this extraordinary recap of your Worldwide Photowalk Meetup to showcase the beauty of your city, Melbourne to the world

You all have done a spectacular job in showcasing the glorious beauty and creativity in the vibrance of Melbourne, Victoria Australia in this fantastic photowalk recap. 

So much colour, all the hues of life in so many different brushstrokes and artistic portrayal's from the gorgeous architecture of the magnificent buildings starting from the stately Flinders Street Railway Station with a window of endless movement with light beaming in through an arch of stained glass showing all in every passage traveling with stories of cultural wonder. 

Every street sign and vehicle carrying characteristics traits revealing mysteries and histories, new and old ventures in, on and around Melbourne's interesting theatrical visions in many lifestyles of modern living that you have captured so expertly for everyone to see. 

The walls tell tales that are a declaration of the narrative voice that echoes in the streets. So clear and distinct yet a mixture of blended destinies making it the fabulous fun city of discovery that it is. 

Good food for thought combined with the festive feed you all enjoyed after portraying  this great showcase of beauty that will be a feast for all eyes here and everywhere able to share this awesome sight. Kudos! 

Thank you so much for sharing a terrific day in your beautiful city of fun for everyone! 

Cheers

Best wishes

@Justine2807

Level 10

Thanks @Justine2807 for your compliments! You are too kind. You've made my day! 

Level 10

Dear @MariaNgo, hope all's well. Awesome to see all the happy Melbourne Local Guides. You're a genius writer and photographer, Maria. Love your street signs. Great to see Melbourne on display. Thank you for sharing beautiful Australia with the world. Kindest regards from Osaka78 🙂

Level 10

wow excellent meetup @MariaNgo and yes we are now the beauty of your city, Melbourne. Thanks @AlejandraMaria for coordinating this 1st worldwide photowalk meetup 🙂

Level 10

Thanks @BudionoS. 😊

Hope you'll get to visit Melbourne one day.