RupendraNeupane's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[Recap] Swayambhunath Meetup 2nd December

December 2, Yet another wonderful morning. All local guides from Nepal were waiting for meetup to start. Although meetup was timed at 11:30 NPT but all local guides were excited from the morning because the meetup spot was so exciting and wonderful and peaceful, the place was Swayambhunath aka Monkey Temple, it was itself a fun place and is listed in UNESCO world heritage site. 

More about Swayambhunath temple:

Swayambhunath is among the oldest religious sites in Nepal.It was built about the beginning of the 5th century CE.When this temple was founded about 2,000 years ago, Kathmandu Valley was filled with a great lake. According to Buddhist legend, a single perfect lotus grew in the center of the lake. When the bodhisattva Manjusri drained the lake with a slash of his sword, the lotus flower settled on top of the hill and magically transformed into the stupa. Thus it is known as the Self-Created (swayambhu) Stupa.The earliest written record of the Swayambunath Stupa's existence is a 5th-century stone inscription, but scholars believe there was probably a shrine here as early as the 1st century. Even before that, it is likely that animist rites took place on this hill. Swayambunath is one of Nepal's oldest Buddhist temples and it has an ancient atmosphere, especially when one approaches on foot with the pilgrims.

Cont.

[10:00 AM] Activity Seen from Local Guides 

Local Guides, Rupendra Neupane @RupendraNeupane and Surendra Shrestha @Surendra started  their journey towards Swayambhunath Temple from one of the ancient town / city of Kathmandu called Lubhu. The name lubhu represents "Golden Plate"  in newari culture. The Lubhu people have their own unique Jatras and festivals, the most famous being the Maha Laksmi-Maha Bhairav Jatra observed in the month of Baishakh (April - May). This is the time of the year when the whole of the Newari community of Lubhu gets out of their daily monotonies to celebrate in a truly carefree fashion.

[11:15AM] About to Start  meetup 

Meetup was just about to start, all local guides were on their way to meetup point. Local guide Pushpendra Khadka @PushpendraKhadka was already arrived there at meeting point. I was the host of the meetup but me and @Surendra was still sucked at traffic jam. We were hoping that we will be in time to start meetup. 

[11:30AM] Meetup Started

Meetup started, the first meeting point was at Amideva Buddha Park because the park is itself part of Swayambhunath, but only Pushpendra Khadka bro was there. We were still at traffic jam and all other local guides were on the way to meetup. I want to apologize all local guides that i was the host and could not attend at the right time.

Pic: Amideva Buddha Park

IMG_20171202_122430.jpgIMG_20171202_130440.jpgIMG_20171202_130556.jpg

[11:45AM] Gathering Continues

It was  already 15 minutes late but finally @RupendraNeupane and @Surendra joined the meetup followed by @BibekN and later followed by Sovita Dahal @SovitaD and Samit Ghimire . And after some time Manoj and Bikash joined the squad.

[12:15PM] Walk Started

Finally we decide to walk around Swayambhunath Temple. Swayambhunath Temple is situated at the top of the small hill. So we started climbing staircase watching monkeys and street shop at the staircase. It felt like a small hiking.It is situated at top of the hill, we  can see entire Kathmandu valley from there. We took pictures and took  group selfies. Later  @RupendraNeupane (me) distributed Nepal Local Guide Stickers. We had a short walk around Stupa and took some photos and group selfies.

IMG_20171202_135645.jpgIMG_20171202_140158.jpgC.JPG

d.JPG

Tea Time

After walking around and taking pictures , its tea time . We all went to local tea shop and started talking and drinking tea. It was not a tea time but also we were waiting for Saroj Dhakal brother because  he was about to join us and he had birthday.And we waited and waited we finished our first cup of tea. In mean time we find  that monkeys are scared of  "Guleli".I cannot find English meaning of Guleli.  As Swayambhunath is known as Monkey Temple there are lots of monkeys around. Its home for monkeys and you might find irritating because monkey jumping around, they even try to drag things from you.

GuleliGuleliAnd finally Saroj Dhakal @Sarojdhakal brother arrived and we wished for his  birthday. He brought Nepal Local Guides T-Shirt and distributed the tshirts. We stayed  there there for a while and take a group picture and walk down the hill. And Saroj brother bought some Chocolates and gave us as a birthday chocolates

e.JPGh.JPG

IMG_20171202_160124.jpgSaroj bro with oreoSaroj bro with oreo

[4:00 PM] Good Bye , See you in next meetup

Finally, meetup went good. Its time to go and say good bye to all Local Guides and wish to meet next time.

And we really missed Bishwovijaya bro @BishowvijayaP, Niraj bro @NirajBhusal, Amit bro @Jnjoe and other local guides.Wish to meet all in next  meetup.

Host:

Rupendra Neupane @RupendraNeupane

Attendees 

Rupendra Neupane @RupendraNeupane

Surendra Shrestha @Surendra

Pushpendra Khadka @PushpendraKhadka

Bibek Neupane @BibekN

Sovita Dahal @SovitaD

Saroj Dhakal @Sarojdhakal

Samit Ghimire 

Manoj 

Bikash

Swayambhu Maha Chaitya, Kathmandu, Nepal
15 comments
Level 8

Re: [Recap] Swayambhunath Meetup 2nd December

Thanks @RupendraNeupane for hosting this meet up had a great time..... looking forward for next meetup And thanks for the treat @Sarojdhakal

Level 9

Well written recap. Had an amazing time meeting up . Thank you for hosting it and making it a memorable day 🙂  @RupendraNeupane and all Nepal Local Guides.

Level 9

You are welcome @Surendra Ji. Thank you for making the day special.

Level 10

Congratulation for successfully hosting the first meetup @RupendraNeupane.

It's a matter of time that I missed to attend the event despite of having huge interest of being an event member.

Thanks to all the participants for making the event auspicious.

Hope to see you all in upcoming meetup.

Level 9

Congratulation on your first meet-up @RupendraNeupane. hope to see you with lots of meet-up's in future 🙂

Level 8

Level 8

Unable to reply on my post

I cannot reply to my post. Previously it was working and i was able to reply but now i cannot reply to my post.Reply button is disabled , i can only see no of replies.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Unable to reply on my post

Hello @RupendraNeupane, you were unable to post replies to [Recap] Swayambhunath Meetup 2nd December as it got picked up by the system as spam and was sent to spam quarantine. I've retrieved it since and your post is now public again. If you encounter this issue again in the future, feel free let a Connect Moderator or Google Moderator know and we will look into it for you. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

Re: Unable to reply on my post

@JeslynL thank you very much, i will surely follow your instructions if any problem occurs in the future.