Jesi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Recap] Paseo por Caminito

Hello everyone! On August 11th I hosted my first Meet Up: Paseo por Caminito (Walk through Caminito).

3 out of the 7 people that signed up attended: Daniel (who isn't a member of Connect), @ValeriaA_ and @santiagoirale.

We took a photo in one of the most iconic buildings in CaminitoWe took a photo in one of the most iconic buildings in Caminito

Caminito - "little path" in English - is a very touristic street museum full of colorful buildings, Tango dancers, restaurants with traditional Argentine food, paintings and sculptures. It used to be an old stream that was part of a river, after it dried up it formed part of a railroad, which closed after some time. Finally, in the 1950s, some neighbours decided to renew the area, and local artist Benito Quinquela Martín started painting the buildings. 

It's located in the neighborhood of La Boca -"The Mouth" in English-, where many immigrants that came from the Italian city of Genoa in the 19th century settled. Like most immigrants at that time, they usually settled in Conventillos, which are precarious buildings where each room was rented to groups of people, and other rooms, like bathrooms, were shared by all tenants. There are plenty of them in Caminito, painted in colorful bright colors, with small stores in what used to be the rooms that usually sell souvenirs or traditional Argentine products.Kind of buildings found in the areaKind of buildings found in the area

La Perla of Caminito.jpgWe met at 2 pm in the corner where La Perla is located, a traditional coffee shop/bar that opened in 1882.

From there, we walked to the Boca Juniors Football Stadium, also called La Bombonera - "the bonbon box" in English - which is only 4 blocks away from Caminito.
La Bombonera.jpg

Some shops in this area combine their fanatism of Boca Juniors with the ambience of Caminito by being painted in blue and yellow, Boca Juniors colors, and having sculptures of well-known people in balconies or on the ground ready for photos.
With Messi and TévezWith Messi and Tévez
Another Messi, and the Che GuevaraAnother Messi, and the Che Guevara

We walked back to the area of Caminito, and entered the street, where we visited many Conventillos and some courtyards with shops.

A bar inside of one of the conventillosA bar inside of one of the conventillos

Some scultpures of well-known ArgentinesSome scultpures of well-known Argentines

A gaucho drinking mate, and a cow on the background, inside a small courtyardA gaucho drinking mate, and a cow on the background, inside a small courtyard

Entering one of the conventillosEntering one of the conventillos

While we walked we encountered a murga (street band) from Boca Juniors playing in a small park, and we stayed there for some time.

I took a video of the murga but the sound wasn't captured so well, probably because its loudness, but I will leave it here just so everyone can see what it was like:

Since we didn't take long to walk though Caminito, we had time to go to three museums in the area.

First, we went to the Historical Wax Museum. It is located metres away from Caminito in what used to be a family home, and was inaugurated in 1980. There, we found wax sculptures that simulated historical events, usual activities by people in the area or gauchos, wax portraits of historical figures, a lot of snakes and things they bit (all made of wax of course), a poster that taught how to dance to tango, a wall full of 2 pesos bills (which are no longer accepted since this April), and more.

Sadly, this museum isn't accesible at all because there is a long set of stairs in the entrance, and a part of the museum is a narrow corridor. 

Wax museum.jpg

Wax snakes.jpg

Tango and chicken fight.jpg

Then, we went to the Benito Quinquela Martín museumBenito Quinquela Martín was an Argentine painter known for his paintings of port scenes based on the daily life of La Boca. From the 1930s he began improving the neighbourhood by donating pieces of land and paintings in order to build a public school which used to work in one of the floors of the museum, a kindergarden, a theatre now called Theatre of the Riverside, a Pedriatic Dentistry Hospital, and more. Like I mentioned earlier, in the 1950s he painted the street known as Caminito, this was his last work outdoors and the one that had the biggest impact in the appearance of La Boca.

In 1938 he founded this museum, which shows paintings and sculptures made by other artists, proas (carved statues projecting forward at the front of ships), his paintings, personal objects, his former bathroom and kitchen that are painted in bright colors, like Caminito, and other rooms like his dormitory.  The museum is located just one block from Caminito and most of it is accessible, the entrance has a ramp and it has a working elevator. However, the terrace, where some sculptures are, and the access to it aren't accesible.Some art from other artistsSome art from other artists

Proas.jpg

View from one of the roomsView from one of the rooms

Table with dried paint, that Quinquela used to useTable with dried paint, that Quinquela used to use

The colorful kitchenThe colorful kitchen

Sculptures in the terrace, with different paths to followSculptures in the terrace, with different paths to follow

One of quinquelas paintingsOne of quinquelas paintings

Finally, we visited the PROA Fountation, a private institution specialized in contemporary art. It has a bookstore and a cafe and is accesible. The exhibition Artists Film International was being shown, which consisted of contemporary video art made by artists of 15 different countries including Argentina, Latvia, the USA, Portugal, Germany, India and Norway.Watching.jpg

Drone.jpg

View from the terraceView from the terrace

To compensate for the bad sound quality of the murga video, here's a video with more photos of the Meet Up and the Tango "Caminito", the song Caminito got it's name from, sung by Carlos Gardel. you can turn on the subtitles and translate it to any language:

You can see more photos taken by all the attendees in this album.

You can also click here for a list of places in Caminito and its surroundings.

I think that despite of how many we were it was a fun Meet Up as we could visit many interesting places, and I hope that my next Meet Ups are as good or even better.

Thank you for reading 🙂

Caminito, Buenos Aires, Argentina
15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Paseo por Caminito

Check out how my first meet up went! @HiteshPapaniya @EmekaUlor @ErmesT @TorM @AlejandraMaria 

@Julien44 some parts of the music video you shared were filmed on this area, maybe you'll recognize some places

Level 10

@Jesi I enjoyed reading every part of the recap. I loved how you described everything in so much detail and told us a bit about the history of Caminito. It is indeed one of the most important neighborhoods in Buenos Aires.

The video you made with the Gardel song is very nice, I really liked it 🙂

I think your first meet-up was a huge success! And I hope you keep hosting more meet-ups in the near future.

Best wishes

Valeria

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @ValeriaA_! I have some plans for future meet ups but still have to decide on the dates and other details, I will let you know once the next one is approved 🙂

And thank you again for coming to this one!

Connect Moderator

Very nice recap @Jesi !

it is very nice that you take us into your trip! 

I enjoyed reading it.

Funny and every post from 🇦🇷 let grow my wish to go there once!

Regards from Germany 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Thank you @TorM, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The same thing happens to me with the posts from Germany, especially yours as they tend to have a lot of beautiful photos. Hopefully we will both visit the other's country someday 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hi @Jesi, thank you for tagging me in your Recap. G R E A T meet-up, indeed. I loved Caminito and La Boca from the first time that I was in there. The culture of Tango, showed in shows along the street, the beautiful colours, the street market, amazed me in a second.

I misses the museums (or maybe the museums wasn't there on 1989) but I enjoyed very much this part of Buenos Aires.

4, with 7 signed, is a good result. There are ways to involve more the community, but is not always very simple, so, congratulations

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Wow! @Jesi Caminito is so beautiful. There  are lots of educative places in this city. I can see Messi and football icons being honored with their statues.

You just delivered this like a pro. Great recap, amazing photos and lovely LGs @ValeriaA_ and Santiago did a good job showing up too.

You did this like a pro. Looking forward to more of your meet ups. I would love to see accessibility trails in your city too.

Cheers 

Emeka 

AccessibleNG |  Accessibility Champion

Connect Moderator

Thank you, @ErmesT! I really like this area too, is full of history and culture.

I'll do my best to involve more the community in the future ☺️

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @EmekaUlor! I will do an accesibility meet up soon, I've decided the area where it will be but I'm still figuring out a path to take and the date to host it.