Sayo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Recap: Map-A-Charity

The first of many to come Map-A-Charity meet-ups was to my mind a huge success (Click Here To View Initial Meet-up Post), thanks to those who sent their loving thoughts, made donations towards the purchase of items needed by the home and all those who turned up for the meet-up. My wish is to ensure we are able to make Map-A-Charity a regular meet-up aimed at bringing attention to the difficulties many charitable organisations in Nigeria are facing and examining ways the local guides community can help. For this visit, Local Guides had raised about $135 and purchased staple food items to donate to the home as a show of immediate support, however, the visit had highlighted potential long term projects we would raise awareness for and execute.

Food items donated by Local GuidesFood items donated by Local Guides     Food items donated by Local GuidesFood items donated by Local Guides

Modupe Cole Memorial is a home that caters to more than 450 children, teens and adults with mental and developmental challenges, some of whom have been at the home for a very long time. There is one case of a resident in the home who is 67 years old and has been at the home since he was 6 six years old (he cannot see, hear or speak) and there are many residents who are incapable of any movement and require the constant support of caregivers. The residents of the home are grouped into 3 categories; the Educables; Trainables and Totally Dependent. The last group are those who cannot help themselves and need the constant support of a caregiver to help them through each day. The Trainables are those who have reached a certain development stage and are then put through vocational training. The Educables are those who have the capacity to go through school. Modupe Cole Memorial Childcare & Treatment Home was established in 1960 in Surulere by Mrs. Modupe Cole and many years later they moved to their present location. Somewhere in the existence of the home, the Lagos State Government stepped in and took over Management of the home and named it after the Founder.

The late Mrs. Modupe ColeThe late Mrs. Modupe Cole

There were a few interesting stories that from the home that were somewhat significant for many of the local guides who attended the meet-up. There are two sisters who are residents of the home and are dealing with varying degrees of mental and developmental challenges. Both sisters are artistic, one makes beaded items whilst the other paints with her legs, as she is incapable of using her hands. Below are some of their works which are for sale and monies raised are meant for the sisters' welfare. Local Guides purchased a number of items from the sisters as a show of support.

Painted with FeetPainted with Feet      Painted with FeetPainted with Feet      Beaded Bracelets & Key HolderBeaded Bracelets & Key Holder

Another inspiring story is that of Oluwaseun, who is probably in her thirties. Oluwaseun is one of the caregivers in the home, she was born and raised in the home and has dedicated her life to taking care of the residents because they are the family she knows and grew up with. Her mother was also a caretaker in the home, who had worked for thirty-five years before retirement and I guess it was only natural for Oluwaseun to continue in her mum's footsteps. Unfortunately, been a government managed organisation, welfare is very poor to say the least. Oluwaseun earns just under $17 monthly, so do other caregivers in the home. Despite the poor state of welfare, Oluwaseun showed enthusiasm for her work and life.

OluwaseunOluwaseun

After the taking a tour of the facilities within the home, there are potentially three projects Locals Guides have resolved to be part of and work on executing on behalf of the home. These projects cover Power, Safety and Welfare.

On Power, there is the need to raise $39,000 for the installation of solar panels and backup power systems in order to provide constant electricity for the home so that they do not become heavily reliant on the diesel generator, which is very expensive to run and maintain considering the state of finances of the home (as the administrators receive an allocated budget of about $1,300 a month to run the home). Through my nonprofit, I have initiated a project, called Always On for Modupe Cole Memorial and it is focused on helping the home install alternative power solutions. This is aimed at helping the home achieve significantly improved electricity supply whilst helping them manage their lean resources which can be used to support other operational needs.

On Safety, Sagir has volunteered to make enquiries for the purchase and installation of new fire extinguishers and refurbishment of old ones in the home, which we would raise funding to execute. In addition to the supply of the fire extinguishers, he would help coordinate safety trainings for the caregivers to adequately prepare them for any eventualities.

Regarding the Welfare of the caregivers of the home, we have initiated plans to develop a budget to cater to their welfare and training/development and as soon as the budget is ready we would then begin the process of seeking funding support from friends, families and the organised private sector to support the welfare programme on an ongoing basis.

It is our hope that we can bring enough attention to the needs of Modupe Cole Memorial (and other charitable organisations through Map-A-Charity meet-ups) and are able to achieve the target amounts for funding support in order to bring about significant improvements in how Modupe Cole Memorial and other homes are managed.

I would like to say a big thank you to @SanyaOdare @pwanaduku @Specobelle @Sagir @MrLabule Walson and @Abdullahi_cap for coming out and making the meet-up such a memorable one for me. 

Click Modupe Cole Memorial Photo Album to view fun pictures from the day.

Till the next post and meet-up.

Cheers.

@KarenVChin @U-royFelixA @brittym @ermest 

Lagos, Nigeria
11 comments
Level 8

Re: Recap: Map-A-Charity

Hi @Sayo

Thank you for sharing your recap. I am happy that you had a successful meet-up.

The beaded bracelets & paints are awesome. 🙂

Cheers

Level 8

This was a rich meet up, howbeit, emotional.

It was exciting to see some residents from previous visits and quite a lot of them have grown. The love these children exude is unrivalled. I look forward to seeing a lot of their challenges solved.

While my heart seeks the improved health of these residents, I hope we can build good capacity for the caregivers. They need training and better salaries.

Definitely, looking forward to the next map-a-charity event.

Awesome work, @Sayo 

@EmekaUlor@HelloSamsonR@bassey we missed you at this event

Level 10

I was short of words seeing the conditions of the inhabitants of this place. The only thing keeping the caregivers alive and helping others is moral and self motivation to do good as always without expecting anything tangible from the government or outside sources. This meet-up made me have a rethink about life and all the blessings we've neglected whilst complaining of not having enough. Thank @Sayo for hosting us 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Level 10

What an awesome and cause-driven meet-up the Map-A-Charity was!!! I couldn't have imagined myself being elsewhere. Thank you so much @Sayo, that was very thoughtful of you. I missed the usual fun we normally have during meet-ups though. The Map-A-Charity was quite too emotional for me - most especially when we were touring the facilities within the home. Nonetheless, I'm already looking forward to the next Map-A-Charity meet-up that's scheduled for Saturday, 11 August 2018.

Level 8

Many thanks @Badruddeen for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Level 8

Thank you so much @pwanaduku for coming out. Looking forward to contributing our efforts in bringing about changes for the caregivers and residents of the home.

Level 8

@MrLabule It is always nice for us to have reality checks in order to continue to appreciate the life we have been opportuned to live. Without a doubt the meet-up has helped me see things from a different perspective and I imagine it is the same for you. Let's put hands together and see what we can do to change the world one charity at a time.

Level 8

Dear @SanyaOdare your presence and those of others who came made the difference. It couldn't have happened without you. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and the ideas you came up with as to how we can help improve certain matters within the home. Looking forward to working with you in any capacity to make a real difference.

Connect Moderator

@Sayo great humanitarian effort by the the entire team. It was sad I couldn't make it because I was babysitting my niece who came on a holiday for the first time.

Reminded me how important it is to cater for children, old people and the needy in our society.

It is nice seeing some of the artworks being produce by the residents. The mother and daughter work history at the home is quite touching. 

I am emotional about this and I try not to visit such homes regularly. My sister who's a nun managers such a home and I really can't bear the emotions.

Hopefully, I'd join in subsequent meet ups and partake in making the world a better place.

One of the ways to help get the home improve significantly would be through increase in its annual budget. We can do an advocacy around this too. 

Xoxo

Emeka