AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] Kalutara Map Editing Meetup March 18, 2018

This is the first meetup I hosted after a long time (after four month and two weeks). When I checked the Local Guides Meetup site this morning there was only one participant and he is from Rathnapura(about 70km from Kalutara) and I was not sure anyone would turn up.

I went to the meeting point(Kalutara South Railway Station) around 2.50 pm and no one was there. At 3.00 pm I started taking normal and 360 photos of Kalutara South Railway Station. I suddenly got a call from Wajira, who was with me last few meetups in Kalutara and he said he would come around 3.30 pm. I was happy and I went to the Kalutara Public Play Ground to add few photos.

After taking few photos I was watching a cricket match in the ground and suddenly someone came and asked in Sinhala “Anuradha ayyada?”, which means “Are you Anuradha?”.

Anuradha and Chameera....Anuradha and Chameera....

I said yes and he introduced himself (Chameera) and told me he was a local guide. Then we chat about the Local Guide Programme and how we can improve the Google Maps and help others. Then Wajira tuned up.

Wajira coming at 3.40 pm :)Wajira coming at 3.40 pm 🙂

We started the map editing and we went from one shop to other updating map. We added few new places. We took 360 photos of public places and uploaded to the Google Maps.

Kalutara South Railway Station

Kalutara Bus Stand

While taking photos and uploading I explained and demonstrated how to edit Google Maps and take 360 photos to Chameera. He was happy. Please see the video.

Wajira and Chameera edting map....Wajira and Chameera edting map....

Discussing an issue in uploading....Discussing an issue in uploading....

Finally, we went a small restaurant and have a cup of tea. This was a meetup held after a long time and I felt really happy.Having cup of tea....Having cup of tea....

I was so happy, most of my edits and new place additions got instant approval. @MuhannadK I did not have your issue. See @SoniaK.

Screenshot_20180318-174722.png

Screenshot_20180318-174552.png

Please visit this Google Photo Album for more photos.

Watch this video to see how we carry out the meetup.

As Wajira told, I found a new Local Guide(Chameera) to host meetups in Kalutara.

@OSAMA @LucioV @HelloSamsonR  Hope everyone enjoyed the Recap.

Thank you Wajira and Chameera for photos and videos.

Kalutara South, Sri Lanka
10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] Kalutara Map Editing Meetup March 18, 2018

@AnuradhaP Welcome back to the Local Guides meet Up...

Look sounds best map editing walk you have done. Glad to see you in RECAP ...

Happy Guiding !!!

Level 9

@AnuradhaP welcome back. Seems you guys had lots of fun 🙂

I was out of Colombo and missed this Meetup. Hope to see guys in some other meet-up. 

Thanks for sharing this beautiful RECAP with us.

Level 9

Hello, 

Thank you @AnuradhaP for sharing the recap, nice to see you there in one more success, well done 

For the map contribution, I just did the count, I had around 250 edit for last 4 weeks, only around 20 approved so far, before that, I used to get more than 99% of approvals in couple of minutes, not sure what is happening in my new place, I have great opportunity for contribution here but things not moving so far as I thought, in some cases I am getting update that "Your edit couldn't be verified, so it won't be published " even its just few days back added, will keep contributing before I leave the place as much as I can  🙂

Level 10

@IlankovanT Yes, it was after a long time. Come join us next time.

Level 10

@MuhannadK Thanks. Keep on contributing. I think the number of contributors in your area is low. After few months your edits will b approved.

Level 10

@ShafiulB Thank you.

Level 8

Happy to see you after long gap @AnuradhaP Nicely Re caped 

Level 10

@ThanulakshanS Thank you. 

Level 10

回應: [Recap] Kalutara Map Editing Meetup March 18, 2018

@AnuradhaP