AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] Improving Maps for Galle

This is the third knowledge sharing session organised by the Sri Lanka Local Guides in the association of Galle Local Guides.  This meetup comes under the "Knowledge sharing sessions for Local Guides in Sri Lanka 2017" series.

The main target of this session was to share knowledge on creating a Google My Maps for archaeological and historical places inside the Galle Fort.

It was one hour journey from my place to the Maritime Archaeology Unit, and as soon I started the journey, there was an issue in my tyre. I have to replace it, and I was late by 30 minutes, but participants were informed, and they were waiting for me when I reach the place.

Replacing Tyre....Replacing Tyre....

Initially, I thought there would be about ten participants, but when I reach there were over 30 participants. Since there was no enough space at Maritime Archaeology Unit, we had to move to the Audio-Visual Room of the Maritime Archaeology Museum, which is 300 meters from the Maritime Archaeology Unit.

Changing the location...Changing the location...

When we started the meetup there were 40 participants; seven maritime archaeologists, one archaeologist, and 26 third-year archaeology graduates were among them. I was jubilant to see all of them, as these participants will use the knowledge they gain from this meetup to document archaeological sites in Sri Lanka.

Mr Chandrathna, a senior archaeologist, gave an introduction to the session and asked to continue the session.

First I gave an introduction to the Google Local Guides program and how to contribute to the Google Maps. During this, I talked about the importance of recording archaeological sites using Google Maps and how it will save information for the future generations.

Eagerly listening about Local Guides Program...Eagerly listening about Local Guides Program...

Then we started the session on Google My Maps, and I walk through the feature on the Google My Maps with them. Few undergraduates were familiar with it, bu most of them did not know about May Maps and power of it. This session was an interactive one, and I asked some participants to add new places to Google My Maps. They were very enthusiastic, and they created the draft map during the session.

One maritime archaeologist adding a place to map...One maritime archaeologist adding a place to map... 

One archaeology undergraduate adding the Lighthouse to My Maps while others help her...One archaeology undergraduate adding the Lighthouse to My Maps while others help her...This session was very successful, and they are going to improve the My Maps they created, and it will be published for the public in few days. At the end of the session, Chandrarathana, a senior maritime archaeologist expressed his thoughts on the session and he said he never knew this tool is this powerful. He also thanked the Local Guides program. He requested to do another session with his staff.

Mr. Chandrarathna expressing his views...Mr. Chandrarathna expressing his views...

Finally, Dr Gamini Ranasinaha, a senior lecturer in archaeology from the University of Sri Jayawardenapura expressed his views on the session and he asked for archaeology undergraduates to use Google Maps to record archaeological sites and use Google My Maps for their assignments.

The participants promised to complete the My Maps for the Galle Fort in few days and publish it. @TraciC @Corrie @GusMoreira You will see a Google My Maps of Galle fort in few days.

Please watch the recap video of the event.

You can see more photos of the event by visiting this Google Photo Album.

Maritime Archaeology Museum, Queens Street, Galle, Sri Lanka
2 comments
Googler

Re: [Recap] Improving Maps for Galle

Hi @AnuradhaP. I think you may know by now that educational style meet-ups and events are among my favorite, haha. I loved reading through your recap post and seeing how you were focusing on archaeological sites!!

At first, I was so worried about your tire/tyre being replaced and worried that your whole meet-up was ruined, but was glad to see it turned out so well that you had to switch rooms. Thank you for sharing another great post with us and a great video. I can't wait to see the My Map, too! Will you share a link to it here? 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Re: [Recap] Improving Maps for Galle

@TraciC Thank you. Yes, we will share it here.