AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[Recap] A morning with Galle Local Guides

This meetup was the second knowledge sharing session carried out under the Knowledge sharing sessions for Local Guides in Sri Lanka 2017 initiative. This was organised for the Galle Local Guides and Google Map users who wants to join the Local Guides Program. 

The meet-up was held at the Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority, and It was mainly attended by the staff of the authority and few other local guides.

Sharing knowledge....Sharing knowledge....

At the begging of this session, we discussed the day to day use of the Google Maps and how it can help us to plan our trips. Most of the participants were not aware of the features available in the Google Maps, and they were surprised to see the features available in the Google Map.

I took a simple example to demonstrate the power of Google Maps. I asked them to give directions to Anuradhapura from Galle. They were telling the traditional route or well-known route. I asked how many hours it would take to travel from Galle to Anuradhapura via that route. They said seven and half hours. Then I just search the directions on Google Maps from Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority to Anuradhapura Railway Station. The travel time was five hours and twenty-one minutes.

traveltime.jpg

I just saved more than two hours from their next trip to Anuradhapura.

They were jubilant and they want to know more about the Google Maps. I explained most of the features in the Google Map and then I changed the topic.

I simply asked how you can help Google Maps to improve the services provided by it. They said by adding/editing location details, adding photos, etc...

I told them it was correct and I said there is a program called Google Local Guides, which will help you to add information to Google Maps through fun activities. Then I started the Google Local Guides presentation.

I customised the presentation available for the Community Moderator, and I translated most of the parts to Sinhala. Thank you @TraciC for this excellent presentation. The flow of the presentation is really nice, and I used the flow to demonstrate how you can contribute to the Google Maps. They really liked the presentation. 

titlepage.jpg

intro.jpg

more1.jpg

I have to do few changes to the translated presentation, and once I complete it, I will share it with everyone. @TraciC I hope this will be a good starting point to attract more Sinhala speaking Local Guides.

Finally, I showed them the live traffic feature of the Google Maps, and as most of them are involved in the Public Transport planning, they were interested in this feature. They were talking about creative ways they can use it for public transport planning. Generally, they conduct surveys to calculate the travel time between two locations. Once I showed this, they said they were going to use it on an experimental basis to get the travel time between two places in different time periods in a day. It may save lots of time and money for them.

They also said sometimes they get real-time complaints from passengers about delays in travel time. They stated that they would use Google Maps Traffic feature in future to see the actual traffic on the road to get a rough idea about the delay(Is it due to heavy traffic or are they delaying deliberately?).

Real-time traffic on Google MapsReal-time traffic on Google MapsThe Director General of the Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority was there during the full presentation, and after the presentation, he expressed his views. Many as a transport planner(In Sinhala). He wants to arrange few Local Guide knowledge sharing session in three districts.

After the knowledge sharing session, they were doing some map editing.

20170407_123822.jpg

20170407_124513.jpg

20170407_124606_Burst01.jpg

20170407_144148-1.jpg

The Google Photo Album of the meet-up with some 360 photos(Which are not that good since I did not have a monopod). 

It was a really nice experience to share knowledge about Google Maps and Local Guides program. When you are sharing your knowledge, it will also let you learn new things and look at the Google Maps and Local Guides program in different angles.

Again, thank you @TraciC for the well-prepared presentation on Local Guides program.

21 comments
Level 7

Re: [Recap] A morning with Galle Local Guides

Congratulation on your second knowledge sharing event, great initiative @AnuradhaP, definitely I will participate 3rd session. we should encourage more people to use gmap get benefits out of it. 

Level 10

@AsankaJayasuriya Thanks and nice to hear you are going to do the third knowledge sharing session. Let me know if you need any help.

Level 5

Good Job Sir @AnuradhaP @AsankaJayasuriya

Level 9

@AnuradhaP wow nice to see this 🙂 how many of them attended? hope they will start to contribute GM after your presentation.

Level 10

@IlankovanT Ten attended. Yes, I hope they would contribute and use Google Maps.

Level 5

@AnuradhaP its always best to meet people

Googler

Hi @AnuradhaP. Thank you for sharing such a lovely and detailed meet-up recap. It warms my heart to see such details and of course, the usage of educational materials to help others! I'm so glad the presentation was so helpful and well-received. If there's anything you'd like us to add, please don't hesitate to let us know. I hope to update it again very soon! 🙂

I also love that you were able to share about transit options with folks involved with transit. It's so very important and helpful. So amazing!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 5

@TraciC,

Hi there,

I am hosting the first ever San Diego Local Guides Meet Up this Sunday,April 16th from 11am to 1pm at Caffe Calabria which is the number one Italian cafe in San Diego.I have worked very hard with Arne the owner who is my friend to make this meet up a raging success.Do I have to post a wrap up on Connect?I also sent you a private mesage concerning other matters relating to my meet up which you have not responded to.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 10

@TraciC I will share my thoughts on presentation in next few days.