RobAo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[RECAP] Westlands, Nairobi 36 Photowalk 2018

Started off as 5Started off as 5The Westlands, Nairobi Photowalk was held on Sunday 22nd April 2018 from 2pm. The event was attended by 13 Local Guides (3 New members -2 who joined from the ConnectLive email which was sent out [Thanks, Mike]). We started out at 3pm from KFC and ended around 5pm with some of the guides getting fried chicken Caprice Fries Restaurant as the rains drew near. We covered Westlands and Muthithi Road minus Ojijo Road (next time). Weather was cloudy day with light drizzle at the end of the event.

All hail the LG DroidAll hail the LG Droid

A couple of technical issues (mixup of dates & lack of permit on time) became blockers to hosting the event on Saturday. After weighing the scenario, we decided to push it to the next day.

A couple of the unique walkers at the meet were a cyclist (he was more of photobiking), a street view trusted photographer @Benarudo, three LGs from three other towns and a Level 1 guide who was among the first to arrive. Overall what I loved from two of the newbies, Manzi and @Meidimi, was how they were connected to the event from the ConnectLive email. During our conversations with Meidimi, this was his first photowalk and he was visiting from another town. Hope to see Nakuru being featured in next year's 36 Walk. 

All the best in your ConnectLive applications and thank you all for turning up. 

Ended up as 13 (one left early)Ended up as 13 (one left early)Thank you, and goodnight.Thank you, and goodnight.

Post-Post GifWestlands 36 Walk 2018 Recap GIFWestlands 36 Walk 2018 Recap GIF

(Mistake not it's small size, for the duration is long and facial reactions are worth it.)

Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Westlands, Nairobi 36 Photowalk 2018

How fantastic that this walk attracted new people and worked out so nicely. The idea of permits is an interesting one, here in Australia I only need a permit if I'm going to get in the way (which I think they define as more than 50 people) but the truth is no-one really cares as long as you behave well. It's interesting that there are places that have to have one for any walk. Great that you had fun and yes, the faces in the gif are worth waiting for! I've added this post to the recap list.

Regards Paul

Level 6

This was an awesome experience having been looking forward to the local guides meet and finally getting to attend one.

Level 8

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich. Nairobi photographers are actively trying to get the local government to loosen up on the restriction of how we can take photos in Nairobi. There are fears that someone is planning an attack and using the photos to plan it out (imagine planning to attack a statue). I noticed it's not only Australia, but even in SF creativity roams freely. 

Glad to have you be a part of the walk @Cindishel. Now that you experienced the walk, hope to see you organize one next time.

Level 9

Awesome experience meeting other local guides in the area and being part of the 36 photo walk. It was my first time and I greatly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more and hosting one in the village areas. 

Meidimi
Connect Moderator

It is interesting that photography is seen as possibly planning an attack, I guess that in Australia we're fortunate enough that when we see someone doing something unusual our first thought isn't that they're doing or planning something evil. There certainly are places where if you took photos you'd likely attract some attention and possibly questioning but these are unusual. Interestingly in those places if you shoot with your phone then you've got no dramas, but if you pull out a camera interesting things happen.

Regards Paul