cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 10

[RECAP] Sydney Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Sydney Olympic Park, NSW 2127, Australia

July 22, 2017 @ 12:00 (AEST)

G'day all. In line with an ever-increasing community grounded in Local Guides Connect, Sydney will play host and participate in it's own map edit walk! Together as one unit we're able to verify valid information, increase the accuracy of the maps and further our own ventures. Note that you don't actually have to be physically present with me. I most likely will just wander off to random neighbouring suburbs contrary to the location stated.

What I would rather request is if you can keep a track of all the edits you've made, all the facts you've checked, all the places you've reviewed and all the questions you've answered, by taking a screenshot at the start of the day, and then finally summing it up when night falls.

Let me know if you're keen! In fact, you can even do this from the comforts of your own home! Otherwise, come and join me as we map Sydney and continue to leave stones turned in the wake of our adventures!

RECAP

Alright. About a few people RSVP'd saying that they'll be attending. I'm not exactly sure if there were people actually present at Sydney Olympic Park however. Ideally that would've been a prime meeting spot, but I had to be elsewhere, so I hope people still had their editing hats on!

The day's travel. This included the major furniture outlet centres around the Auburn-Granville area, backwards through to Parramatta, a quick stop at Seven Hills for a bit of a late lunch and then navigating towards Oxley Park/North St Marys to head to a party.The day's travel. This included the major furniture outlet centres around the Auburn-Granville area, backwards through to Parramatta, a quick stop at Seven Hills for a bit of a late lunch and then navigating towards Oxley Park/North St Marys to head to a party.

Basically, the day started with the intention of heading to the Sydney Olympic Park. But due to the amount of construction around the area, I decided to whisk my way through Parramatta Road all the way to Auburn. I covered a hefty amount of space, and made upwards of roughly 120 edits, uploading a total of about 160 photos and enjoying the time taken browsing through furniture and the scenery (or lack thereof).

The day's efforts in cooperation with the Worldwide Edit Walk has resulted in the conquistador of me covering massive parts of Sydney. Which allows me to impart a tip: map around the main roads. Parramatta Road (bar motorways/freeways) is considered one of the busiest roads in the Sydney metropolitan area, and with hundreds of reviews to the local restaurants and outlet stores, make your mark and progress onwards!

Primewest Auburn Megamall, Auburn, New South Wales, Australia
13 comments
Level 10

Re: Sydney Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Excellent @Briggs πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š. It's time to spread the word πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Level 7

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

Excellent @Briggs πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š. It's time to spread the word πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Great

Level 10

Alright! Original post edited to include the recap.

Haven't heard from anyone else yet if they also participated, and I probably should've tracked my edits a lot more effectively. Yay!

Level 10

Well done @Briggs πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘. I see you really did a lot of job. Don't forget to submit your feedback as well here:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdTiFJcP7PpcjR7wUYjVtvAJCe1rWIAK2gPbkxrDXRlPYwFkw/viewform

Kind Regards 😊

Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Sydney Worldwide Map Edit Walk

@Briggs, thanks for sharing your community's Worldwide Map Edit Walk experiences here on Connect. Sounds like you covered A LOT of ground - 120 edits and uploaded 160 photos. Exhausted just thinking about it.

Thanks for heavily contributed to the accuracy of Google Maps this weekend. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

Congratulations for the successful completion of the event @Briggs bro. πŸ™‚

Level 10

Dear Briggs, hope all's well. Nice work. You seem to be a pretty heavy editor. Can you give some high speed advice? We're glad you decided to join in World Wide Map Edit Walk. Everyone now knows, when Briggs is mapping, the winner is Sydney. How long was your edit walk? We'd spend years taking 160 photos. Will you share some into World Wide Map Edit Walk Photo Album? https://photos.app.goo.gl/lPbdeh8BpclnvVfI2 It'd be great to see you in there. πŸ˜ƒ Kindest regards from Osaka78

Level 10

Hehehe, thank you @Osaka78forTRUMP!

I can give a few tips. Everyone knows how important photos are, but do people actually know that the type of photo is just as important too?

• In a major shopping centre, most people tend to only take pictures of a shopfront for quick points, especially when there isn't already a photo.
  • The interior of a shop is also important too! A great interior shot can overtake the humble shopfront.
  • Take no more than three environmental shots. That is, the view from the outside, main interior view and the presumed view from the inside. The rest can just be about food.
  • High-speed advice about editing can be as much as going into a building that doesn't have indoor maps, and rearranging all the stores inside to reflect the inside. I think in about one day I made upwards of 300 edits while on my long walk between Zetland and Sydney Opera House (that's 7.8km), mostly because I went through East Village and Regent Place.
  • Some places that are clearly Japanese or Thai (e.g. Yakinori, Yiro-Yiro, Mikozuki and Ayada Thai, Thai Smile, 3Thai, etc) only have the category as Restaurant. Where appropriate, make the edit to the actual restaurant (e.g. Sushi Conveyor Belt Restaurant, Japanese Restaurant, Thai Restaurant, etc.)

My edit walk was roughly about 7 hours long, from early morning right until the sun started to set, and also took a few trains and buses across. Not sure if I can really contribute anything to the album, they're all majority pictures of shopfronts, storefronts, interiors, food and comfy furniture, so maybe next time.

160 photos isn't actually much. Daily I probably take about 40, and on a really good day I'd take about 150.

Level 10

Dear Briggs, hope all's well.

160Γ·7=23? That's a lot. If it's 3 per place, that's 8 places per hour. Makes sense. Yes, you're looking for ways to bulk edit in real life. Your processes sound very good.

What's motivating you, giving you energy for this kind of contribution to Maps? What's the story?

Thanks again, Briggs. Kind regards from Osaka78

PS We love Samson's photo album because it's a visual record of the time we worked together as an international team. We only had one image to contribute, so it's ok, if you want, add one image, just to be part of that beautiful album, it's an amazing thing, all the people and places.