EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk-City Hall

Emeka and Adewole at the Campos Mini StadiumEmeka and Adewole at the Campos Mini Stadium

"At the end of the day, your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling." – Shanti

In our case, yesterday, our eyes sparkled and our hearts thrilled as we discovered some wonderful places during our meetup.

Historic City Hall in LagosHistoric City Hall in Lagos

OLD LAGOS:

Mission Street used to be one of the most popular areas in Lagos (former capital of Nigeria for 77years).

Historic and architectural masterpieces dotted this part of the CBD. (Igbosere Road, Catholic  Mission Street, Campbell Street and Broad Street end)

We converged at the City Hall as planned; Negotiated access into the complex which was possible because we weren't many. The first thing I noticed was accessibility driveway and trails into the giangantic building from different parts of the building. For a building constructed over 40years ago? It is highly commendable.

City Hall plays host to banks, Language institute, corporate offices, event hall, expansive parking lots and art works. We didn't have access into the building to see more. Nevertheless, it's an awesome and historic place.

STADIUM
Our next port of call was the Campos Mini Stadium on Joseph Harden Street. A renovated complex for sporting activities. We also pleaded to gain access here but ejected for taking photos😂. Our lucky day! (Campos Mini was opened to the public during the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia).

CENOTAPH:
The Cenotaph is located opposite the former Defence House. This memorial arcade is dedicated to Nigerian soldiers who died during the world wars. The memorials were relocated to this cenotaph in 1979. It was renovated in 2001 after the capital moved to Abuja.

FOUNTAIN OF LIFE
Adewole and I, out of excitement decided to relax a bit, when we saw a water fountain and a well kempt mini park. What ensured?

We took several photos while admiring the green space. After, about 40mins the caretaker approached us and asked "Sorry, please may I know you? I have been watching both of you and the way you are taking photos is quite unusual." We looked at each other and busted into laughter. Yes, we know right.

At the end of the conversation his face sparkled and he volunteered to go buy us some refreshments. Mr. Monday, will go on to explain his job and other personal stories too. We rested, checked Google Maps to identify the fountain and edited some relevant details. We discovered that it was wrongly mapped as TBS Roundabout. Adewole has moved the marker hoping it would be approved sooner.

HOMEWARD
On our way back to CMS, we couldn't bypass the famous Freedom Park. The gate fee was a paltry N200 (less than $1). Freedom Park used to be a prison in the colonial days but was aptly converted to a recreational sight. This is one of the few locations with detailed accessibility trails. 👏  People with crutches, wheelchairs or puschairs can go up and around the compound quite easily.

City Hall Accessible rampCity Hall Accessible ramp

Campos Memorial Mini StadiumCampos Memorial Mini Stadium

Accessible trail at Freedom ParkAccessible trail at Freedom Park

Alternative driveway up the City HallAlternative driveway up the City Hall

Summary

The most interesting part of the meetup was that most the facilities had accessibility trails. Yassss!💪 Note, majority of facilities are old, historic and yet accessible- Freedom Park, City Hall and Campos Mini Stadium.

Highly motivated @Specobelle was a great champion today! Encouraging and helping out when I can no longer speak Yoruba!Adewole (Specobelle)Adewole (Specobelle)

Check out the video we made together at the Waterboy Fountain 👉https://photos.app.goo.gl/TbBst199JzgfC3HV7

Enjoy the photo album and don't forget to add buildings with accessibility on our NAW Placelist

Reminded me of the old Yoruba song about LagosReminded me of the old Yoruba song about Lagos

Emeka disolays the Accessibility SymbolEmeka disolays the Accessibility Symbol

While I was growing up in Lagos, I loved the sound of a particular Yoruba song about Lagos by Chris Ajilo. I don't know why but I will leave the favourite line which I saw at the City Hall...

"Eko akete, ile ogwon"...Eko gba  gbere rara o!

@ErmesT @TraciC   @KarenVChin @Julien44  @Badruddeen @Jesi
@MrLabule  @Vasudeo 

Xoxo
Emeka

20 comments
Level 10

Re: RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk-City Hall

The saddest part of it all - I missed this event due to a decision I made. It's unusual of me and I'll say I regret not coming because you were able to discover many accessible trails unlike the previous month. I'm thrilled however by your continuous mapping and discovery and the spirit you both had to carry on with the meet-up. I had seem many RSVPd for the event so ó expected turnout. Either way, I'll see you all next time. I'm happy you enjoyed your day with those places and the enlightenment you provided to someone else. Good of you at @EmekaUlor and @Specobelle for being with you all the way. 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Connect Moderator

Good one @EmekaUlor 👏👏👏👌👍👍👍

Because of my job I was not able to make it..

Well done @Specobelle for representing us

Thanks for sharing your experience with us..

Kind regards

Sagir

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Connect Moderator

@EmekaUlor,

like always. Very nice recap! Congratulation!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 7

Great work @EmekaUlor

The accessibility master.

Great recap also and I must say kudos for the detailed recap.

I should try and make it for the next NAW.

I'll be looking forward to that.

Level 10

Connect Moderator

It seems like it was a very helpful meet up, congrats! I want to organise an Accesibility meet-up as well, I just have to figure out where will it be. I hope it will be as good as this one ☺️

Thank you for sharing this recap and mentioning me, @EmekaUlor!

Connect Moderator

@MrLabule it was one of the most exciting meetup for me. We saw a hidden part of Lagos. 

Hopefully, you should attend the next meetup. 

See you soon bro. 

Connect Moderator

@Sagir thanks.

See you soon. Don't forget my kulikuli.

😊

Connect Moderator

@TorM thank you. 

I appreciate your support!