AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[RECAP] National Museum Photo Walk

This is the second meetup hosted in Sri Lanka in parallel with the “Local Guide Monument Month”, a great initiative by @BishowvijayaP in the month of September.

The National Museum of Sri Lanka is the first and the largest museum in Sri Lanka. It was established on January 01, 1877 and it was then called Colombo Museum. The founder was Sir William Henry Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at that time.

Sir William Henry GregorySir William Henry Gregory

National Museum of Sri Lanka...National Museum of Sri Lanka...

The Royal Asiatic Society (CB) was instrumental in bringing to the notice of Gregory on his appointment as Governor in 1872 the need for a public museum with much difficulty the approval of the legislative council was obtained within a year. The Architect of the Public Works Department, J.G. Smither was able to prepare the plans for the new structure on Italian architectural style. The construction was completed in 1876 and the Museum commenced it functions in the following year.

The main aim of the photo walk is to take some good photos of the monuments in the National Museum and post them on Google Maps to help visitors.

Photos, photos, photos, ....Photos, photos, photos, ....

Seedra from Anuradhapura Local Guides called me yesterday and she said she would participate the National Museum meetup. I just called her in the morning around 7.30 to see whether she is coming or not. She answered and said she is already in Colombo. She might have boarded a bus around 4.00 in the morning from Anuradhapura, which is about 250 km away from Colombo. Thank you Seedra for your dedication.

This is the spirit of a true local guide.

From Left: Anuradha, Seedra and VijaiFrom Left: Anuradha, Seedra and Vijai

Thank you Vijai for turning up for this meetup.

We started the photo walk around 9.05 in the morning. First, we bought entrance tickets. We asked for a camera permits and they informed us since they have increased the ticket price we do not have to buy a separate permit to take still photographs, but for the video, they charge Rs. 2000/=.

Tickets....Tickets....

As we enter the museum we saw a nice Buddha Statue, which called Tholuvila Buddha Statue and it belongs to the 4th or 5th Century AD. This statue will make you calm. We noticed most of the employers of the museum worshipped this statue before they start the work. We took some photographs at the entrance and then moved to the Prehistoric gallery.

Tholuvila Buddha Statue..Tholuvila Buddha Statue..

We took some photos of skeletons, burials, etc and while taking photos we learnt a lot about these artefacts, which can be considered as monuments.

Prehistoric Gallery ...Prehistoric Gallery ...

Then we moved to the Anuradhapura period gallery which houses some beautiful statues.

Anuradhapura Gallery ....Anuradhapura Gallery ....

After seeing this gallery, we went to the canteen of the museum as Seedra was hungry and we had some snacks and Seedra had her breakfast. See the RECAP video for more.... 🙂

Breakfast at museum canteen, actually it is a brunch :)Breakfast at museum canteen, actually it is a brunch 🙂

After the break, we went to the Polonnaruwa gallery and there we found some attractive Hindu statues.

Polonnaruwa Gallery ...Polonnaruwa Gallery ...

Finally, we went to the Kandyan period gallery, which houses the Throne of Kandyan Kings. In this gallery, you will find some beautiful Ivory items.

The Throne of Kandyan KingsThe Throne of Kandyan Kings

Kandian period galleryKandian period gallery

It was around 12.30 pm we decided to go the Colombo International Book Fair and meet again in a Google Local Guides meetup. 🙂

Seedra and Vijai rushing to Colombo International Book Fair.... :)Seedra and Vijai rushing to Colombo International Book Fair.... 🙂

The Google Photo Album - National Museum Photo Walk

T

@IlankovanT @TraciC @BishowvijayaP @NareshDarji @OSAMA @vijaih @TaralaNayanaD Have a look... 

National Museum, Colombo, Sri Lanka
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] National Museum Photo Walk

Wow awesome pictures and place @AnuradhaP thanks for sharing with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

@AnuradhaP beautiful meet-up. I really missed this event since I went for coral reef diving in Batticaloa area. thanks for sharing this RECAP with us.

Connect Moderator

@AnuradhaP Hi!!!

I really enjoy your Recap coz its always fulfilled with a lots of photography...

Keep it up....

Level 8

@AnuradhaP Amazing Photos wow and the Throne of Kandyan Kings.in side a glass room to preserve right?

@AnuradhaP wrote:

This is the second meetup hosted in Sri Lanka in parallel with the “Local Guide Monument Month”, a great initiative by @BishowvijayaP in the month of September.

The National Museum of Sri Lanka is the first and the largest museum in Sri Lanka. It was established on January 01, 1877 and it was then called Colombo Museum. The founder was Sir William Henry Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at that time.

Sir William Henry GregorySir William Henry Gregory

National Museum of Sri Lanka...National Museum of Sri Lanka...

The Royal Asiatic Society (CB) was instrumental in bringing to the notice of Gregory on his appointment as Governor in 1872 the need for a public museum with much difficulty the approval of the legislative council was obtained within a year. The Architect of the Public Works Department, J.G. Smither was able to prepare the plans for the new structure on Italian architectural style. The construction was completed in 1876 and the Museum commenced it functions in the following year.

The main aim of the photo walk is to take some good photos of the monuments in the National Museum and post them on Google Maps to help visitors.

Photos, photos, photos, ....Photos, photos, photos, ....

Seedra from Anuradhapura Local Guides called me yesterday and she said she would participate the National Museum meetup. I just called her in the morning around 7.30 to see whether she is coming or not. She answered and said she is already in Colombo. She might have boarded a bus around 4.00 in the morning from Anuradhapura, which is about 250 km away from Colombo. Thank you Seedra for your dedication.

This is the spirit of a true local guide.

From Left: Anuradha, Seedra and VijaiFrom Left: Anuradha, Seedra and Vijai

Thank you Vijai for turning up for this meetup.

We started the photo walk around 9.05 in the morning. First, we bought entrance tickets. We asked for a camera permits and they informed us since they have increased the ticket price we do not have to buy a separate permit to take still photographs, but for the video, they charge Rs. 2000/=.

Tickets....Tickets....

As we enter the museum we saw a nice Buddha Statue, which called Tholuvila Buddha Statue and it belongs to the 4th or 5th Century AD. This statue will make you calm. We noticed most of the employers of the museum worshipped this statue before they start the work. We took some photographs at the entrance and then moved to the Prehistoric gallery.

Tholuvila Buddha Statue..Tholuvila Buddha Statue..

We took some photos of skeletons, burials, etc and while taking photos we learnt a lot about these artefacts, which can be considered as monuments.

Prehistoric Gallery ...Prehistoric Gallery ...

Then we moved to the Anuradhapura period gallery which houses some beautiful statues.

Anuradhapura Gallery ....Anuradhapura Gallery ....

After seeing this gallery, we went to the canteen of the museum as Seedra was hungry and we had some snacks and Seedra had her breakfast. See the RECAP video for more.... 🙂

Breakfast at museum canteen, actually it is a brunch :)Breakfast at museum canteen, actually it is a brunch 🙂

After the break, we went to the Polonnaruwa gallery and there we found some attractive Hindu statues.

Polonnaruwa Gallery ...Polonnaruwa Gallery ...

Finally, we went to the Kandyan period gallery, which houses the Throne of Kandyan Kings. In this gallery, you will find some beautiful Ivory items.

The Throne of Kandyan KingsThe Throne of Kandyan Kings

Kandian period galleryKandian period gallery

It was around 12.30 pm we decided to go the Colombo International Book Fair and meet again in a Google Local Guides meetup. 🙂

Seedra and Vijai rushing to Colombo International Book Fair.... :)Seedra and Vijai rushing to Colombo International Book Fair.... 🙂

The Google Photo Album - National Museum Photo Walk

T

@IlankovanT @TraciC @BishowvijayaP @NareshDarji @OSAMA @vijaih @TaralaNayanaD Have a look... 

Level 7

It is very interesting @AnuradhaP

Level 8

Level 10

@DavidTito Yes, it is inside a glass room to preserve it. Thanks.

Level 10

@TaralaNayanaD Thanks, I thought you would be there.

Level 10

@ThanulakshanS Thanks, I love to participate a meet up organized by you.