IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Join hands to help millions in Sri Lanka - Accessibility Meet-Up ♿

First of all, I would like to cast my wholehearted thanks to @TraciC for initiating the thread that encourages all to host meet-up's  helping differently able people. Also, I would like to thank @ThangavelS & @KishothN who stand on my side for all the volunteer activities we undertake in Batticaloa area as an enthusiastic team of Batticaloa local guides. Even though I couldn't be here in Batticaloa, they did all the coordination for this event.

Join Hands to Help MillionsJoin Hands to Help Millions

This was one special event that gave us an inner satisfaction rather than any meet-up's we have hosted so far. This event, as described in the invitation is planned to be an awareness session that supports differently able people to access google maps without any trouble. The participants were two staff of the Nonprofit organization CAMID and a group of differently able people who were also the beneficiaries of CAMID. The participants were with differing challenges, some had the visual impairment, some had the hearing impairment and some were unable to move on their own due to various physical impairments.
This event was initially planned to be an awareness session that shares the importance of Google maps for differently able people with Geo walk. It was surprising and so satisfying to hear the feedback from them at the end of the activity. They seem to be realizing the facts and uses of Google maps at the completion of the session. Also, they asked us for another knowledge sharing session including some other colleagues who have a similar impairment. Initially, I started by asking how many of you have struggled at wherever you go as there were no wheelchair access. They eagerly raised their hands and explained their experiences.

Nishantha Raj explaining his challengesNishantha Raj explaining his challenges

Starting from that we explained the option of Google maps to identify the availability of these physical requirements for them and the uncover missing information and check the fact options. They got some hands-on experience at that point writing reviews, searching for places and using the navigation option that lets them listen to the map without looking at it. Also, one of the participants shared the importance of getting access to contact details, opening and closing hours of certain places such as business entities and bus depots. After the session, I did a map editing session with their participation on updating the wheelchair accesses in Batticaloa area on Google maps.

During the session, I noticed a participant who was visually impaired, using a phone which reads the texts on the screen for him whenever he touches the screen (please check the video 01:30 to 1:55). It was literally reading him the content on the screen including the commands. Firstly, I didn't realize what he was doing, after noticing him for some time only I understood that his phone has a software that reads him the text and the options. It was literally helping him to read what is on his phone even though he was visually impaired. I wish Google maps has such an option that can be useful to them. For instance, that reads the name of the places and reviews whenever touched on it.

Kishoth explaining about uncover missing infoKishoth explaining about uncover missing info

First review from a participant  in his local language (Tamil)First review from a participant in his local language (Tamil)

However, having completed of such a knowledge sharing session gives me a great mental satisfaction of helping those have the real need. I wrapped up the session with some positive feedbacks, promising them for another knowledge sharing session as per their request to share this valuable information with their colleagues who have similar impairments.
Special thanks to everyone who helped and contributed to making this event successful.

Click here to view our event photos

Batticaloa, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka
15 comments
Level 10

Re: [RECAP] Join hands to help millions in Sri Lanka - Accessibility Meet-Up ♿

@IlankovanT Yes, I can understand how you feel. This kind of work will give an internal satisfaction. Good work.

I completely agree with you, if there is an option to read out the text it would be great. It will help a lot. If we can introduce features like this an option in Google Maps then differently able people will use these features as required by them. For example zooming text, reading the name and review, etc.... Hope @TraciC will look in to this suggestion by @IlankovanT.

Level 9

Thank you @AnuradhaP. Actually he is using a separate application and that application reads the texts, menu buttons, titles when he tap those. Also there is a voice command also. But I tried understanding that commands and really it's super speed and very difficult to understand. But he got trained to that and quickly operating by his fingers. Hope this feature will be very helpful for them.

Also I was teaching Google assistant and how we can ask questions and how we will get the results from that. they said Google Assistant will definitely help to reduce many troubles in their daily life, specially with GM.

Level 9

@IlankovanT brother really I have no word ! It's a successful meet up ! Just great ! Thanks for sharing this nice event with us....!

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 9

@Kamalhasnainee thank you for your kind words. This was one special event that gave us an inner satisfaction 🙂

Level 10

Hi @IlankovanT .

I just came back from our meet up MALAYSIA ACCESSIBILITY WALK. 

I think yours is a most prepared one 

Awesome. You managed the meet up very well, and on its original way.

Thanks for sharing. 

I think I should learn to video editing from you. .......

Level 9

@AkmalB thank you and nice to hear that you had a accessibility walk in Malaysia. Yeh surely I will teach you those video editing techniques. I'm using Sony Vegas to edit videos. 

Level 8

@IlankovanT Wow [Recap] is more than that the education level has gone far and beyond, your powerpoint presentation has reached it expectations

@IlankovanT wrote:

First of all, I would like to cast my wholehearted thanks to @TraciC for initiating the thread that encourages all to host meet-up's  helping differently able people. Also, I would like to thank @ThangavelS & @KishothN who stand on my side for all the volunteer activities we undertake in Batticaloa area as an enthusiastic team of Batticaloa local guides. Even though I couldn't be here in Batticaloa, they did all the coordination for this event.

Join Hands to Help MillionsJoin Hands to Help Millions

This was one special event that gave us an inner satisfaction rather than any meet-up's we have hosted so far. This event, as described in the invitation is planned to be an awareness session that supports differently able people to access google maps without any trouble. The participants were two staff of the Nonprofit organization CAMID and a group of differently able people who were also the beneficiaries of CAMID. The participants were with differing challenges, some had the visual impairment, some had the hearing impairment and some were unable to move on their own due to various physical impairments.
This event was initially planned to be an awareness session that shares the importance of Google maps for differently able people with Geo walk. It was surprising and so satisfying to hear the feedback from them at the end of the activity. They seem to be realizing the facts and uses of Google maps at the completion of the session. Also, they asked us for another knowledge sharing session including some other colleagues who have a similar impairment. Initially, I started by asking how many of you have struggled at wherever you go as there were no wheelchair access. They eagerly raised their hands and explained their experiences.

Nishantha Raj explaining his challengesNishantha Raj explaining his challenges

Starting from that we explained the option of Google maps to identify the availability of these physical requirements for them and the uncover missing information and check the fact options. They got some hands-on experience at that point writing reviews, searching for places and using the navigation option that lets them listen to the map without looking at it. Also, one of the participants shared the importance of getting access to contact details, opening and closing hours of certain places such as business entities and bus depots. After the session, I did a map editing session with their participation on updating the wheelchair accesses in Batticaloa area on Google maps.

During the session, I noticed a participant who was visually impaired, using a phone which reads the texts on the screen for him whenever he touches the screen (please check the video 01:30 to 1:55). It was literally reading him the content on the screen including the commands. Firstly, I didn't realize what he was doing, after noticing him for some time only I understood that his phone has a software that reads him the text and the options. It was literally helping him to read what is on his phone even though he was visually impaired. I wish Google maps has such an option that can be useful to them. For instance, that reads the name of the places and reviews whenever touched on it.

Kishoth explaining about uncover missing infoKishoth explaining about uncover missing info

First review from a participant  in his local language (Tamil)First review from a participant in his local language (Tamil)

However, having completed of such a knowledge sharing session gives me a great mental satisfaction of helping those have the real need. I wrapped up the session with some positive feedbacks, promising them for another knowledge sharing session as per their request to share this valuable information with their colleagues who have similar impairments.
Special thanks to everyone who helped and contributed to making this event successful.

Click here to view our event photos

brother great work

my regards @DavidTito

Level 8

Wahoo Really Great Job Bro @IlankovanT , You Are Inspire Lot of Local Guides including Me 🙂 Hope This Meetup Really Helpful For Their Day To Day Activities.

Level 9

Thank you for the kind words @ThanulakshanS@DavidTito 🙂