Mayford's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 10

[RECAP] How We Marked the Lagos Worldwide Map Edit

02-33-56-large.jpg

While we never had an inkling on how the meet-up would go, we still kept planning for it alongside @HelloSamsonR@OSAMA and @Osaka78forTRUMP who were solidly creating awareness and engaging with more cities to participate. Well, good to say, Lagos was the first to mark the Worldwide event on Friday 21st July, 2017 because of the grassroot elections that would happen on the next day which was initially the stipulated day for the event. 

Our meetup began at 3PM Nigerian time with first some cold creams to help with the hot weather (recorded at 32 degrees Celsius) and a brief walk around the mall. Our map edit had started right from inside the mall already, lol.

Moreso, we had selected a particular region of Lagos to map out, which was the Yaba area. There are lots of businesses, schools and organizations located there. Interestingly, many of them are located within the streets and hadn't been added yet. We took out time to really put these places on the Google Maps despite the sunny weather and busy traffic on roads. For a quick one and for efficiency sake, we split into two groups/team. Team A headed for the Westward part of Yaba while Team B descended on the Eastward section of the town. This we needed to do to cover more grounds and add more places.

Furthermore, at the end of our edit,  we had successfully walked a distance of over 6km in total; placed more than 20 businesses, several photos (I lost count), although some other edits we made are still pending for review from the Local Guides team - so the figure could be more at the end of the week depending on how fast our edits are approved. These figures may not be the largest but we earned some real good points and as well; made new friends from interactions with business owners; learnt a few tricks on using the GPS on maps and we're leveling up, that's the good part of it.

Shortly after, we settled for a brief discuss and took some memorable images and video briefs of the team. In attendance were wonderful folks including @HelloSamsonR who traveled more than 500km to Lagos just to join in our meetup. We really appreciate his efforts. @SanyaOdare helped with the Lagos Local Guides Flag which we used for recognition sake. Meetup ended at about 6PM Nigerian time. That's about some 3-hour meetup. 

Our photo album can be found here 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8ALKwpVzywFds8uG2

There are a few pictures pasted below for your view. 

As well, our video Recap can also be found here 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QebPQsuIPonYFRKt1

We are thrilled by how much contributions we were able to make and thanks to all members of the Lagos and Nigeria Local Guides Community as well as all wonderful members of the Local Guides Connect who have all been part of this project. We are happy with the turnout from over 30 cities of the world for this event. 

We wish every other city and participants a successful meetup and map edit. See you all on the next one.

@TraciC, @HelloJess You have the floorOut on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)Out on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)

The female team were equally not left behind.The female team were equally not left behind.

Hello from Local Guides, Lagos - NigeriaHello from Local Guides, Lagos - Nigeria

Still with flagStill with flag

Out on the streets with Team B (Eastward)Out on the streets with Team B (Eastward)

Group photo shortly after our Map EditGroup photo shortly after our Map Edit

Venue of our meetup (Rendezvous point)Venue of our meetup (Rendezvous point)

Isaac
Lagos, Nigeria
38 comments
Level 9

Re: How We Marked the Lagos Worldwide Map Edit

@Mayford , @HelloSamsonR and all team look great , and the most important the spirit up up and motivated ,πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

I open the album very nice photos and videos I like when you all talk together very very nice and make me very happyπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Am very happy of your Meetup 😊😊😊

Keep it up , it our turn now 😁😊😁

Level 10

Well done @Mayford and a big thumbs up to @HelloSamsonR for pulling all the strings to make the "Worldwide Map Edit" a great meet-up across the globe.

@Mayford wrote:

While we never had an inkling on how the meet-up would go, we still kept planning for it alongside @HelloSamsonR@OSAMA and @Osaka78forTRUMP who were solidly creating awareness and engaging with more cities to participate. Well, good to say, Lagos was the first to mark the Worldwide event on Friday 21st July, 2017 because of the grassroot elections that would happen on the next day which was initially the stipulated day for the event. 

Our meetup began at 3PM Nigerian time with first some cold creams to help with the hot weather (recorded at 32 degrees Celsius) and a brief walk around the mall. Our map edit had started right from inside the mall already, lol.

Moreso, we had selected a particular region of Lagos to map out, which was the Yaba area. There are lots of businesses, schools and organizations located there. Interestingly, many of them are located within the streets and hadn't been added yet. We took out time to really put these places on the Google Maps despite the sunny weather and busy traffic on roads. For a quick one and for efficiency sake, we split into two groups/team. Team A headed for the Westward part of Yaba while Team B descended on the Eastward section of the town. This we needed to do to cover more grounds and add more places.

Furthermore, at the end of our edit,  we had successfully walked a distance of over 6km in total; placed more than 20 businesses, several photos (I lost count), although some other edits we made are still pending for review from the Local Guides team - so the figure could be more at the end of the week depending on how fast our edits are approved. These figures may not be the largest but we earned some real good points and as well; made new friends from interactions with business owners; learnt a few tricks on using the GPS on maps and we're leveling up, that's the good part of it.

Shortly after, we settled for a brief discuss and took some memorable images and video briefs of the team. In attendance were wonderful folks including @HelloSamsonR who traveled more than 500km to Lagos just to join in our meetup. We really appreciate his efforts. @SanyaOdare helped with the Lagos Local Guides Flag which we used for recognition sake. Meetup ended at about 6PM Nigerian time. That's about some 3-hour meetup. 

We are thrilled by how much contributions we were able to make and thanks to all members of the Lagos and Nigeria Local Guides Community as well as all wonderful members of the Local Guides Connect who have all been part of this project. We are happy with the turnout from over 30 cities of the world for this event. 

We wish every other city and participants a successful meetup and map edit. See you all on the next one.

@TraciC, you have the floor.Out on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)Out on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)

The female team were equally not left behind.The female team were equally not left behind.

Hello from Local Guides, Lagos - NigeriaHello from Local Guides, Lagos - Nigeria

Out on the streets with Team B (Eastward)Out on the streets with Team B (Eastward)

Level 10

@OSAMA, when is Worldwide Map Edit scheduled to hold in Jordan?

@OSAMA wrote:

@Mayford , @HelloSamsonR and all team look great , and the most important the spirit up up and motivated ,πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

I open the album very nice photos and videos I like when you all talk together very very nice and make me very happyπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Level 9

Hello my friend @SanyaOdare , it's today on 6 pm 😁😊😁

@SanyaOdare wrote:

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 10

@OSAMA Haha, thank you and we can't wait to have your city's after-meetup story. :))

@OSAMA wrote:

Isaac
Level 10

@SanyaOdare thank you very much 

@SanyaOdare wrote:

Well done @Mayford and a big thumbs up to @HelloSamsonR for pulling all the strings to make the "Worldwide Map Edit" a great meet-up across the globe.

@Mayford wrote:

@TraciC, you have the floor.Out on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)Out on the streets, doing the Map Edit with Team A (Westward)

Isaac
Level 9

@Mayford , 

@HelloSamsonR motivated all the globe 😁😊😁😊

@Mayford wrote:

Haha, thank you and we can't wait to have your city's after-meetup story. :))

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 10

Great @OSAMA! I look forward to your recap and stunning pictures.

@OSAMA wrote:

Hello my friend @SanyaOdare , it's today on 6 pm 😁😊😁

@SanyaOdare wrote:

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 10

@OSAMA Lol

@OSAMA wrote:

@Mayford , 

@HelloSamsonR motivated all the globe 😁😊😁😊

@Mayford wrote:

Haha, thank you and we can't wait to have your city's after-meetup story. :))

@OSAMA wrote:

Isaac