RajievR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Colombo Harbor Geo Walk

I held my first meet-up on 10th June at Colombo Harbor. I chose this location because although it is a key landmark in my country, there were lots of editing to be done. Even though passenger ships/passenger liners come to harbour, most of the places are not photographed and only a few places are marked on Google Maps. Since I have never participated in a meet-up, hosting one without any experience what so ever was a huge challenge. Hence, I limited the participants to 6 people. Although the seats were taken quickly only 2 other people showed up.

20180610195304-01-01.jpeg

I was kind of expecting a low number because I read some recaps of @IlankovanT and @AnuradhaP. Thanks a lot for @AnuradhaP for warning about low attendees in advance and things to do when you are hosting a one. 30 minutes before the meet-up time, it started raining and it got me really worried. However, it didn’t last for long and left a beautiful blue sky with awesome clouds

360 fun360 fun
We met near Chaithya Road and briefly introduced ourselves and discussed a strategy to cover the huge area of harbour premises (nearly 600 acres they say). @Miyuru seemed to be the man with a plan. He has already plotted a path and what’s missing and what to add. So we Started at the north-east corner. We decided to use the car as the distance between places makes it less practical for walking.

Here is the list of some of the places we could edit  https://goo.gl/maps/MGpgEneftpz

Prince Vijay QuePrince Vijay Que

Saram gate With Radio Active Materials detecting PortalsSaram gate With Radio Active Materials detecting Portals

A Ship being repaired at a DRY DockA Ship being repaired at a DRY Dock

A ship approaching a pierA ship approaching a pier

New Trucks Waiting for deliveryNew Trucks Waiting for delivery

Cement StorageCement Storage

We took pictures, marked places, wrote down things to be added later. Athri was the designated driver and seemed to be quite good at it 😊

Although I planned to go till 7.00pm one of the participants asked whether we could finish early. Since we have covered almost 50% of the premises and there was no way we could finish the whole harbour on the first day, we all decided to call it a day.

It was quite a "WALK" 15.9kmIt was quite a "WALK" 15.9km

All three of us had fun and it was a nice change of phase to the busy work life we have. Can’t wait to do my second meet-up and also the 2nd part of the harbour meet-up.

"Official"  Selfie"Official" Selfie

Here is the picture album.

Some 360 Videos I took ( I bought a  Xiaomi Mi Sphere especially to get 360 pics for Google Street View and this was the first day I used it)
Colombo Port North Pier 360 VR

https://youtu.be/XnhmVXVi98c

PS: when you do a meet-up and find edits / missing places together, who gets to do those? How to divide those news edits among the participants?

Colombo Harbour, Colombo, Sri Lanka
10 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Colombo Harbor Geo Walk

Thank you @RajievR to organize and invite me to this valuable and memorable event.  Furthermore your photos, encouragement too. Finally happy about your report and hope to see you again at another meet-up.

Level 9

Thanks @Miyuru for your support 👍🏻✌️👏

Level 8

Fantastic recap @RajievR @Miyuru

Nice to see the harbor getting in to shape. 

Cheers

Connect Moderator

Thank you very much for your interesting recap and the nice pictures @RajievR

@Gio51x my friend, I do believe that you like these pictures (especially in the photo album), therefore I tag you.

Edits and so on should be shared by all participants...

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

Tagging of @IlankovanT and @AnuradhaP went wrong @RajievR. Look if they appear blue after posting.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

@RajievR 

congratulations for the images of the port, cranes, containers, silos, I am very fond of these issues, I'll keep you 'in my posts.

@TorM  thank you for having tagged me, if you see other profiles with technical and architectural interests, art, innovations, tags, me, hello, dear friend, thank you!

Level 8

@RajievR nice recap 🙂

too bad i badly wanted to come unfortunately you have closed the registration when i saw this 😕 

hopefully next one

Level 10

@RajievR Nice to see the recap of your first meetup. Try organize a meetup where all of us can participate. 

Regarding the editing and adding missing places during the meetup, normally we all add the details. You must take extra care to add the correct place on Google Maps.

Level 9

@AnuradhaP wrote:

You must take extra care to add the correct place on Google Maps.

Thanks For your help again @AnuradhaP. Did we mess up ?