IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 9

[RECAP] Attidiya Birds Walk 🐦🐀

This time the intention of the meet up is to create awareness among local and foreign travelers about the species of birds existing in this park and to share the importance of their existence through google maps. 

Banner template for meetups.jpg

Last Saturday at the Maharagama photo walk@IsurangaD@Amilamadushan@ThamaraKandabada promised that they will be joining me at this and proposed me to have it in an early morning time. Even though, I got the event scheduled at 9:00 am. As you all know, I am a nature lover, I thought to go to the meet-up spot little early to see the sunrise and some bird tweets. Then Isuranga, Amila & Thamara all three said they can also join early with me.

I woke up early (even though that was a Sunday :P) I reached the meet-up spot at 6.50 am and enjoyed the morning breeze from the bridge. I was waiting for others who said they will be coming early and no one came.

Then I started to walk little inside the waterbody and found some fancy dragonflies. Yes, I took some gorgeous clicks of them from my camera. When I walked further in, I saw a lot of birds and was watching their early morning activities. Yeah! I could see them starting their day with much enthusiasm for catching fishes and bugs. How blessed they are? I had a thought and walked further.

DSC_2112.JPGDSC_2100-Edit.JPGDSC_2134.JPGDSC_2141.JPGDSC_2153.JPGDSC_2222.JPGPANO_20180701_070636.JPG

Then after everyone joined and there are more fun stories. I’m going to tag our participants and let them share their experiences. Also, there was a particular story about two buffalos and that was fun run! Wait! someone is going to share their story!!
@IsurangaD@Amilamadushan@ThamaraKandabada

More photos please check this Album

Attidiya Bird Sanctuary, Colombo - Horana Road, Boralesgamuwa, Sri Lanka
14 comments
Level 10

Re: [RECAP] Attidiya Birds Walk 🐦🐀

Its pleasure to be lost in the vicinity of nature. I wish to see video from other participants. Thanks for being nature lover and presenting us this lovely recap @IlankovanT

Level 8

ooking forward to hear their stories.

too bad i missed this due to illness 😞

Level 8

This was a fun meet up! Although we didn't get to see as many birds as we would have liked to see, I certainly took home some fun memories.

@IlankovanT@IsurangaD, and @Amilamadushan were already at the location when I arrived. They had already started walking down the path along the canal and through the sanctuary.

Now, there are two things you should know: these three guys are experienced photographers and they had several DSLR cameras, lenses and other gadgets on their person; I know nothing about photography and as I always do, I was only carrying my phone. So naturally, I was not expecting to capture any good photos of birds. I had come to terms with this reality, and I joined the meet up only to take as many photos of the landscape as I could in the hope of adding them to Google Maps.

A couple of minutes after we stared walking down the path, we were confronted by two buffaloes. They were casually grazing, but the sight of us must have startled them, for they started advancing towards us in a subtle but aggressive manner. These are big beasts, and they're not to be underestimated. They could run you down to the ground with the least effort, if they intended it.

@IlankovanT tried his best to scare them away with his monopod, but it didn't work. He did however assure us (after a prompt Google search) that we could outrun the buffaloes if it came to that.

The the buffaloes finally got tired of our antics and went away. We were free to go about our business, so we did. It was a hot day under the perpetually-blazing Sri Lankan sun, so we refreshed ourselves with some Thembili afterwards. I have some decent photos from this meetup, so I will post them below. I also have two videos of the epic showdown of @IlankovanT versus the buffaloes, to which I will link at the end.

IMG_0621.JPGIMG_2644.JPGIMG_3158.JPGIMG_4591.JPGIMG_5374.JPGIMG_7096.jpgIMG_7097.jpgIMG_7103.jpgIMG_7109.jpgIMG_7121.JPGIMG_7124.jpgIMG_7128.jpgIMG_7317.JPGIMG_7100.jpgIMG_7111.jpg

Here are the videos!

Level 9

Thanks @ThamaraKandabada for interesting pfotos of wild life!

Video is nice and funny too.)

Buffaloes may be waiting for you say'' Hi'')

Level 9

Level 9

Thanks for always sharing such amazing photos @IlankovanT!

I really like the bird with the blue tail in the fourth photo. Are you familiar with what kind of bird it is?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

It's a Kingfisher πŸ˜„

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingfisher

Connect Moderator

@ThamaraKandabada

@IlankovanT

This is an outstanding nice recap.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

i like your photography and text! I love that you took us into your world.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

Thank you @BishowvijayaP, @NalinK πŸ˜Š