IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Accessibility Meet-up

This meet up was organized to create public awareness on the use of Google maps for differently able persons. There were five participants in the meet-up. Ahamed, @DilibAjanthM, Charles, Aja, & Dinesh. Ahamed was one of the participants living in Batticaloa who is always eager to know about new things. He was the only one who joined me at my previous meet up. This time Dinesh’s presence was significant.

P_20180106_120242_BF.jpg

Dinesh was a newly introduced local guide who is also a volunteer in Uthayam. He has seen my open invitation on social media somewhere and was there to know more in-depth. He has been the most relevant participants for the meet up this time. He was so excited when I introduced them the Google assistant. He was overjoyed to see such an application which is more appropriate to the blind people whom he is working with at the moment in Batticaloa.

Further, we discussed adding places and updating information on Google maps. Also, I explained to them some of the techniques handles when uploading photographs. Capturing within the grid was one highlight among those. This meet up went two hours long and everyone was contented when they left the place knowing that they have gained something.

P_20180106_114612_BF.jpg

Dinesh further proposed to host a much bigger gathering with more participants at least twice a month in order to create awareness among the society. Also, he emphasized that continuity of such awareness sessions should be ensured in order to sustain the outcome. Having positive hope to bring such a space into reality, we all returned home after the meet-up.

More Photos: Check this Accessibility Meet-up album

Batticaloa, Eastern Province, Sri Lanka
2 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Accessibility Meet-up

Level 9

Re: [RECAP] Accessibility Meet-up

Thank you @ThanulakshanS 🙂