Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: NYC Subway Maps Editing Meetup Update

Hi @Anonymous   Thanks for sharing. Great Job guys . Nyc photos

Level 8

Josh was my fave guy for sure... He had the cookies 😉
I would love to do something like this on the London underground.

Level 9

Great job...

Level 8

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing! Gives me tips and ideas for meet ups.
Diana Duangnet
#LGSummit17
www.travelfarglutenfree.com
Level 10

Good job. Thank you for inspiring @Anonymous, @DDuangnet

Level 5

@AnaCristinaN @Anonymous Great!

@AnaCristinaN wrote:

These are great photos! Congratulations @Anonymous, this is amazing! 

Level 5

Looking nice Sir........

@DallasP wrote:

Hi All,

The mission of the NYC Subway Maps Editing Meetup was two-fold.  The first part of the mission was to add all subway entrances and make sure the locations were correct. Because NYC Transit now has free wireless, the underground panoramic views were the anchor photo on Google Maps for the main station and as such, the underground GPS/long/lat signature was in the middle of the block  above ground somewhere.  The second part of the mission and which is equally or maybe even more important is that we need to shine a light on subway stations/entrances that provide no accessibility for our disabled or physically challenged neighbors.

(Original Meetup link: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/NYC-Subway-Maps-Editing-Meetup-on-Saturday-April... )

Here is my favorite photo of the meetup because it has all of us in it:

LocalguidesLocalguides

Firstly, I would like to thank all who attended the meetup, including, Josh Bailey (my go-to runaround guy who came up from Richmond VA), Mike Cullum (budding SEO, computer genius), Becky Curran (just an all-around great person), Jazaida Hall (who came up from Delaware for the day), Traci Cappiello (who helped keep everything moving and has a great wit), Nicholas Stebenne (who waited out in the cold for us before we finally linked up with him and who added to the camaraderie), Daniel M. Eldridge (who was our technical adviser), Corrie Davidson (who blew me away with her energy and free spirit), Sasha Blair-Goldensohn (who is the poster child for coolness), Ron Ruzal (who is local guide level 5 to the 8th power), Mel (who came down from Delaware with Jazaida and was great behind the camera) and of course the cameraman extraordinaire Shafiek (who knows his craft well and was there but not there with his camera).

The purpose of the extensive thanks yous for the participants is to show that I was engaged with all team members and where I was running around, there was something unique that stuck with me about each person.  This is important in putting together a successful meetup.

1. Be sure to arrive early: It sets the tone of your commitment.  

2.Make sure you have a good physical meetup jump off location. Check with management if it is a store, coffee shop/business.  Make sure to add it to Google Maps.

3.Do get some snacks. Think of fruit, bottled water, brownies, mini danish, etc. This gets the sugar content in everyone and provides energy.

4.Do a pep talk before you start out and get everyone excited to be at the event and try and stay on message. Include the whole ideal of #localguides and taking photos of anything.

5.Give out name cards and have people fill out their cards and have a badge holder or something of that nature.

6.Give out a sheet of paper with some guidelines where if available there local laws and ordinances.

7.Arrange an after meetup location such as a restaurant, etc where everyone can wind down and take notes.

8.Create a photo album for everyone to upload their photos/videos and exchange social media contact information, so the meetup becomes the gift that keeps giving.

We started at 2pm and broke camp at 8pm because of all the fun everyone was having. I saw this myself.  The positive energy and karma was exciting and extraordinary.  The zeal and fervor of everyone involved made me very proud and I would do a meetup or event with the team that came out Saturday any time; any day.

Here is the link to the NYC Subway Maps Editing Meetup

I hope this "brief" synapse is helpful to anyone trying to set up a Google Meetup.  Please note that a Google Meetup is not a meetup.com meetup.

Note:  Whole Foods Union Square is on Google Maps and we thank them for letting us use their property.  I have attached random photos of the meetup

Regards,

Dallas Plummer

14th Street Union Square Entrance next to Whole Foods14th Street Union Square Entrance next to Whole FoodsMike and Shafiek trading notes.Mike and Shafiek trading notes.I dont know why this was all maleI dont know why this was all maleThe LocalGuides TeamThe LocalGuides TeamLIRR Accessibility at Penn StationLIRR Accessibility at Penn StationNote the Solid Green Bulb. It means somethingNote the Solid Green Bulb. It means somethingTraci at the 14th St/8th Ave Station ElevatorTraci at the 14th St/8th Ave Station ElevatorWheelchairs get caught on these, canes, high heels and  white canesWheelchairs get caught on these, canes, high heels and white canesIMG_9880.JPGNotice the Partial Green/White Station Bulb. It means something too.Notice the Partial Green/White Station Bulb. It means something too.Josh administering the browniesJosh administering the browniesThanking Cool Sasha for his support todayThanking Cool Sasha for his support today

Level 5

A good concise summary! well articulated. 

Cheers to the team!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The mapping of the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Subway">New York City Subway</a> system continues. Here are the panoramic views of the 10 subway stations/stops/entrances on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens New York, where there are only TWO (2) <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accessible_New_York_City_Subway_stations">accessible</a> stations. That means that since the Rockaway Peninsula is a Level 1 evacuation zone, every must evacuate in the event of a major storm. If someone lives alone, has no family, friends or caregivers, they may be stranded in a life threatening situation. This scenario is obscene and the MTA can do better. Here then are the panoramic views with each station labelled via Google Maps.

Far Rockaway Mott Avenue Station - Accessible StationFar Rockaway Mott Avenue Station - Accessible StationFar Rockaway Mott Avenue StationFar Rockaway Mott Avenue StationAccessible Far Rockaway Mott Avenue StationAccessible Far Rockaway Mott Avenue Station
The photos above are of the Mott Ave - Far Rockaway station which is accessible and is the last stop on the A train.

IMG_20170408_075042.jpgIMG_20170408_075049.jpgIMG_20170408_075130.jpgIMG_20170408_075202.jpgIMG_20170408_075535.jpgIMG_20170408_075608.jpg
Here are photos of the <span style="font-size: x-large;"><strong>Beach 25 Street - Wavecrest Station</strong></span>. Please note: This station is NOT accessible.

No ElevatorsNo ElevatorsNo AccessibilityNo AccessibilityNo accessibilityNo accessibilityBeach 36 Street Underwent a renovation but no elevatorsBeach 36 Street Underwent a renovation but no elevatorsNo AcessibilityNo Acessibility
The Panoramic views above are of the <span style="font-size: x-large;"><strong>Beach 36 St - Edgemere Station</strong></span>. This station is NOT accessible.
I will add more stations over the next few days including Washington Heights which I did yesterday.  My goal is to personally index and map the NYC subway system over the next few months so that 1.  I can enjoy all of the spots that each neighborhood has to offer  2.  Get a great cardio workout by climbing stairs, escalators, platforms (all lawfully)  3.  Provide this great insight to my impaired neighbors  and 4.  get Google Maps to add a rail category so these photos and panoramic views are positioned correctly.  We will still be doing as many meetups as we can, so that we can build this sense of community with exercise, a great cause and camaraderie building and interaction.  This will be fun.  Why not try and make this a global effort?

I couldnt get the panoramic views to display in this discussion but I did add these to my blog and where I don't mind getting traffic to my blog, I posted this to show everyone how easy it is to take 360 photos, how to post them on a Wordpress blog and how to learn a little bit about photography.  It is fun!

Here is the link to the Panoramic views of Far Rockaway Train Stations with and without accessibility:

https://dallasplummer.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mapping-nyc-subway-system-rockaway-peninsula-nyc-subw...

Let me know your thoughts

Level 4

This is very helpful! Thank you, Dallas!