KarenVChin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: My San Francisco: Being a Local Guide for Another Local Guide

@PaulJahn, be sure you list being a Local Guide as a "volunteer" in Community Activites in LinkedIn or on your resume.  

As a Local Guide, we are non-paid. Not employed by Google as per official Local Guides Program rules:

You must not at any time represent yourself in any way as a Google employee or a representative of Google or its products or services.

Cheers,

Karen

@PaulJahn wrote:

Hi Andrew, I'm sure others will chime in with more details but I'll give you my quick experience and 2cents. I know the benefits come and go and believe they announce them here under the News and Updates section. When I joined, I was lucky enough to do it when they offered a free TB of storage which was huge! Outside of that, I think there was 3 free months of Google Play once although I passed as I use something else.

I do really consider the indirect benefits though. Having the fact you're a LG on places like LinkedIn (shoot, need to do that) and other places can certainly help give extra authority if you have clients, considering a job, etc... Plus, I do get enjoyment of being in the community. I've only had positive experiences here with people and have had a few questions answered quickly as well. Just happened today actually. Hope this helps! 

Connect Moderator

@AndrewR, great question. I have been a Local Guide since March 2015.  Perks are based on what level you are at, what country or city you live in, and, in general, run for a limited time only.  Not every country gets the same perks (special discounts, partner offers, event invitations) and you are not automatically enrolled. You do have to sign-up for it if you are eligible. 

I live in the United States and a Level 8, the perks I have been made aware are either by being active here on Local Guides Connect and I see a particular Perks post OR what I receive via Local Guides email. In 2017, I was eligible to sign up and receive 3 months free use of Google Play and a 3 month free online subscription to The New York Times. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, there was Google Home Mini pop-up event with a chance to win a Home Mini and get a free cup of coffee via Google My Business if I was interested in showing up during a work day.

Be sure you’re signed up for email updates by reviewing email preferences on your Local Guides settings page. 

With email preferences, you will need to check off the "Perks" box to be updated about special discounts, partner offers, invitations to events, etc.

For the past two Local Guides Summits, being a Level 5 or higher gave me the opportunity to apply to both Summits,  There will be LGSummit18. Application details will be announced in the next couple of months.

Feel free to add Local Guide to your LinkedIn profile or your resume, but please note you cannot state you work for Google.  None of us Local Guides are monetarily compensated by Google.  We are a volunteer-based global community look at ways to help improve it be making Google Maps better.

Per official Local Guides Program Rules:

You must not at any time represent yourself in any way as a Google employee or a representative of Google or its products or services.

Cheers,

Karen

@Andrewr wrote:

Hi @ErmesT and @KarenVChin great post, I like all your pictures and great stories. I have been a local guide for a little while now and I was wondering if you could help give me some insight on the program particularly about the rewards and benefits. I have yet to receive any kind of benefit and Google hasn't been clear as to what the benefits are. Have you received any benefits from Google for being a local guide yet and what were they? Thanks, cheers and happy new year!

Level 9

@KarenVChin   Wow Great  wonderful post

Level 10

Yayyyyy @KarenVChin!!!!!!!! I'm glad to be part of @PaulPavlinovich’s 36 Photowalk. Here are my favourite photos

SanyaOdare with a clown at Fisherman's WharfSanyaOdare with a clown at Fisherman's Wharf20171010_153938.jpgKaren V Chin & SanyaOdareKaren V Chin & SanyaOdare20171010_154527.jpgJulien & SanyaOdareJulien & SanyaOdareErmesErmes

Level 9

Hello everyone

Thank you @KarenVChin

For your nice post great job

Iam more than happy to see more photos for @ErmesT

Hopping one day I meet this kind of man I hope in the next summit 2018

Thanks again

Cheers

Saudi local guide 

Level 9

Hello @KarenVChin and @ErmesT

Weldone for this detailed and amazing information. I loved the whole of it.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Connect Moderator

Ahh @SanyaOdare, I clearly remember these photos! And, in particular, because it was taken by someone with short arms and came from my phone. I wonder who?!

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

@KarenVChin  wow you so much adventure really thanks for sharing but after viewing all these [Recaps]  I'm

@KarenVChin wrote:

@Ermest riding his first San Francisco cable car ride@Ermest riding his first San Francisco cable car ride

@ErmesT - one of the Local Guides Connect Living Legends

Here in the Local Guides Connect @ErmesT, Italy Local Guide, is the most popular and friendliest Local Guides Connect Moderator in our online community. 

Ermes is the most active of the Connect Moderators. He is usually online:

• Welcoming new Local Guides.
  • Helping and answering related Local Guides questions.
  • Writing posts on Connect about his beloved Treviso and homeland, Italy. 
  • Sharing his passions for clouds, wild mushrooms, photography, and bringing awareness and the rebuilding efforts of crumbling ancient Italian buildings after the recent devasting Norcia Earthquake.
  • And, finally, hunting and getting rid of spam.

One of many selfies taken during LGSummit17One of many selfies taken during LGSummit17

I can tell you that Ermes is exactly like this in person. I was very lucky to finally meet him in my hometown last October during the 2nd annual Local Guides Summit - LGSummit17. It was his first time in San Francisco and to be in California.

@Ermest getting ready to take lots of photos as we walk through Chinatown@Ermest getting ready to take lots of photos as we walk through Chinatown

When Ermes told me he was only able to stay for just the Summit (October 10th - October 13th) because he couldn't take more time off work, I knew I had to be his Local Guide. I created a highly customized 4-hour tour during our free Tuesday morning / early afternoon so that he can maximize his San Francisco sightseeing time. 

Local Guides Connect Moderator @PaulPavlinovich had planned his 1st Annual 36 Photowalk Summit Edition around Fisherman's Wharf & Pier 39 to happen that late afternoon that many LGSummit17 attendees were looking forward to finally meet-up in person.

@Ermes experiencing Molinari Delicatessen, the oldest Italian delicatessen in San Francisco@Ermes experiencing Molinari Delicatessen, the oldest Italian delicatessen in San Francisco

My only advice before I met Ermes was to "wear your most comfortable walking shoes" because I planned for us to literally walk across San Francisco and back in a short amount of time.

My plan was to take him on a fast-paced tour through two famous San Francisco neighborhoods - North Beach (Little Italy) and Chinatown, including lunch at my favorite Chinatown dim sum restaurant, City View Restaurant.

@Ermest experiencing yummy SF Chinatown dim sum for lunch@Ermest experiencing yummy SF Chinatown dim sum for lunch

Want to see more photos & read what we exactly did for 4 hours last October, click my Google Photos album

My San Francisco: Being a Local Guide to Another Local Guide 

Interested in taking my 4-Hour Local Guides San Francisco North Beach & Chinatown Walking Tour yourself?

Click & save my Local Guides Google Maps Trip link.

Interested in seeing what Italian gift Ermes gave me at LGSummit17?

International Wine Exchange: Local Guides Style

Cheers,

Karen

#Local Guides

#ongooglemaps

#LGSummit17 

going to summit on the mind till summit time  lolz

Level 8

Re: Discovering San Francisco - a local Local Guide guiding a Local Guide

Woww Nice click can i have a chance to visit here..

Level 8