PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Melbourne White Night Meetup & Photowalk

I thought I'd recap our meetup from last night for White Night. White Night was started in Paris France and is celebrated now by 20+ cities around the world. It's a single night running from dusk (7pm) to dawn (7am) and celebrates many different forms of the arts. You can find out more about Melbourne's White Night on their website https://whitenightmelbourne.com.au/ I've been to all of them over the last five years, the first was simply unexpected and amazing with the others never living up to the hype generated by the first one until this year, I think the organisers got the balance right and the spread of arts and exhibits was good and it was possible to escape the crowds easily to move from place to place.

The official walk was from 12 midnight to 7am finishing with breakfast. I went in early with a good mate and we started with dinner at The Pumphouse Hotel in the Monkeybar.

pumphouse.PNG

The food was good and for the most part the service was good and pleasant although it was tempered by the initial greeting.

After that we did a scouting walk to see where the main exhibits were before the main walk started. First up we headed into Melbourne Museum which had selected exhibits open for free as part of White Night including this one about Australia's indigenous Aborginal people called Bunjilaka. The exhibit is excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking to understand more. One of the exhibits is this animated bird that is lit via projection and moves to a voice over explaining the stories and history. You can find out more here https://museumvictoria.com.au/bunjilaka/whats-on/First-Peoples/

whitnight-P2180015.jpg

We took our time and checked out quite a few of the arts on offer taking part in an interactive piece called Purple Rain in honour of Prince

whitnight-P2180033.jpg

We wandered some more and were joined by another Melbourne Local Guide then headed back to the meeting point for the midnight walk to start.

White Night is divided into several precincts and I'll convey just a few of the images here

impromptu congaimpromptu congafairytalesfairytaleslove Melbournelove Melbournetechno house cubetechno house cubemedusa jelly fishmedusa jelly fishgiant rabbit gardengiant rabbit gardenthe arts precinctthe arts precinctpurple rainpurple rainstate library fascadestate library fascadehouse vs religionhouse vs religionthe shot tower in its preserving domethe shot tower in its preserving domestatues of famous men as cross dressersstatues of famous men as cross dresserspixel treepixel treeexhibition buildingsexhibition buildingsperesphone - fire driven musicperesphone - fire driven musica touch of early morning jazza touch of early morning jazz

We finally finished up in Melbourne's famous DeGraves Street which is a narrow crowded alley with around 20 different cafes to choose from. At 6.30am only one was up and running so we went to that once. Pleasingly they had a Big Breakfast (eggs, bacon, ham, tomato, mushrooms, spinach). It would have been nice to be more choosey because we knew they only had an average of 2.1 and I have to say their food didn't disappoint - that 2.1 is about right although I was generous and gave them a 3.

expressmondo.PNG

In hindsight I was probably too generous, but I'll leave it stand for now. 

The last of the people in the meetup made their way to Flinders Street Station (our main railway hub station) to make our separate ways home. After catching up on socials and a few microsleeps I made it home safely and judging by the posts so have the others.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 comments
Level 9

Re: Melbourne White Night Meetup & Photowalk

Thanks for this beautiful Recap @PaulPavlinovich

Former Google Contributor

@PaulPavlinovich Looks awesome. I went to Sydney last year and am so bummed I didn't go to Melbourne at the same time. I'm dying to visit!

PS. I find myself using "nothing to write home about" a lot in my reviews. It seems to capture the feeling of "meh" perfectly!

Connect Moderator

Thanks @IlankovanT

February is an awesome time to visit @HelloJess as long as you don't mind hot. Most years it's not unusual to have 40C days in Feb. The up side is we have White Night. If you want to visit the bush I would come along around October/November/December as bush fires are unusual and the weather is usually great.