Kwasijam's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Local guides Caribbean

Seeking to find local guides near me in Jamaica and even the Caribbean islands. 

Kingston, Jamaica
8 comments
Level 2

Re: Local guides Caribbean

Hi Jacob! 

I've been working on a project to really and truly show the Caribbean to the world also, but not necessarily (or exclusively) through google maps.

For a couple months now, I've been working on Cariway (get it? The Caribbean Way :D). If you're interested, maybe we can work together to get Jamaica on?

I think it also helps that this is an actual Caribbean developed project

Level 7

I'm a level 7 going level 8 local guide who just started contributing to google maps in January. I would be glad to help as I have brought picture and proper details to several areas in Kingston, in particular Manor Park, Liguanea and some parts of New Kingston. I have been looking to have a meetup with other local guides with big ideas like these. Direct Message me if anything as I would be glad to help out with this project. 

Level 6

Most definitely can work to get our places out there. Let me know the format you want to use for the collaborations. 

Level 2

@DR11 wrote:

I'm a level 7 going level 8 local guide who just started contributing to google maps in January. I would be glad to help as I have brought picture and proper details to several areas in Kingston, in particular Manor Park, Liguanea and some parts of New Kingston. I have been looking to have a meetup with other local guides with big ideas like these. Direct Message me if anything as I would be glad to help out with this project. 

Brilliant! I have direct messaged you.

Level 1

this mean

Level 1

that's great

Level 2

@Kwasijam wrote:

Most definitely can work to get our places out there. Let me know the format you want to use for the collaborations. 

Great! I'd absolutely love to have Jamaican experiences on the platform. Experiences that for instance, may or may not be offered by 'conventional' tour operators. 

It can be something as simple as going to a local shop to get the best jerk chicken, or something as complex as going zip lining (are there zip lines in JA?) The most important thing, is for JA to really be represented through authentic experiences that you as a local have in your everyday life.

I've realized that things I take for granted in St. Vincent (which has striking similarities to Jamrock, I've been told) are things that foreigners know nothing about... simple things like a plate of pealou (brown rice and chicken, idk if JA calls it something different). A true representation of our cultures, as closely as possible, is what Cariway is all about. 

You can definitely help by placing experiences on the platform as a host, or maybe getting tour operators you know to place experiences on the platform.

Level 7

There are zip lines in Jamaica and several attractions on the north coast. The southern coast is more like an off the beaten path experience. We have rice and peas (brown rice with peas) with chicken as well in Jamaica. I like the idea of Cariway still.