HannahT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Local Guides in London

Hi @HannahT! There are loads of us Local Guides living in London and there are regular meetups, just not official Google Local Guides ones.  Most of us don't use Local Guides Connect to arrange meetups because of how broken it is and a lot of us abandoned the Local Guides programme after they stopped hosting events and killed off all of the incentives.  Google used to host special monthly meetups in awesome venues and one or two big parties a year for London-based guides, with support and encouragement for anyone wanting to organise meetups themselves and lots of incentives to keep submitting good reviews.  Then suddenly Google pulled the plug for support and the Googlers who used to run the community all quit their jobs or were moved elsewhere, much to their dismay, so most of us who were part of the old community are currently in silent protest in support of them. 🙂 

As a result, Meetup.com is currently the best way to join awesome community events in London.  Maybe if Google reinstates some of the perks or starts to put more effort into the community then the Local Guide meetups will pick up again.  Fingers crossed! 

If you want to host a meetup, let me know and I'll share it with the old Local Guide community as despite our protestations we're actually a very friendly bunch! 😄

Level 4

OK Can you keep us all posted if you hear any news then please 

Level 8

@Lexplex Awesome, do you have a group name on meetup? Would be great to meet other guides in London! 

Level 6

Hey @Lexplex thanks l, that was a real eye opener!! I'm already a member of meetup o just haven't attended or hosted anything yet!! I'm actually hosting a meetup through Google local guides which takes place tonight...

It's at BallieBallerson in Shoreditch. 🙂

In the future I'll definitely throw any meetups your way! If there's ever any meetups you know about on meetup with the old guides feel free to throw them this way 😂

Level 6

Hi Hannah,

I am new here so I wanted to check out anything that might be happening in London. Turns out not a lot considering the type of city London is. I am in East London and would be interesting to see what we can do about it!