Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

♿Join Hands to Help Millions

Join Hands to Help Millions

CAMID

262, Bar Rd, Batticaloa, Sri Lanka

September 23, 2017 @ 10:00 (+0530)

Join hands to help millions in Sri Lanka. This month we all are hosting an accessibility meet-up all around the world. Celebrating the above, Batticaloa Local Guides are planning to make use of this opportunity to facilitate the differently-able people with disability access in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka. As the first step of this process, our team has identified a Non Profit organization who help disabled people from 2011 in Sri Lanka in the Eastern Province after the civil war. With their support, we like to invite disabled people to attend this knowledge sharing session. Our local guides are excited to share their knowledge with the volunteers who help differently-able people from the nonprofit organization. We have arranged a Knowledge sharing session purely targeted to disabled people to share the Google Map knowledge with them. In the Eastern province of Sri Lanka, many disabled people are not aware of this disability information from Google map. This knowledge sharing session will help the disabled people to search the relevant information before they visit. For instance, finding wheelchair access from a shop, a wide entrance way to carry big luggage, restrooms without elevators, places that have to be accessed only by stairs. The people working with differently able people have better knowledge on what is essential for the differently able people. Sharing the knowledge of us Local Guides with these type of constituents of the society is the best way to collate the knowledge and end up with positive outputs. By this, they can help other differently able people from the community who doesn't have enough knowledge on using Google maps. We will be making them aware on how to edit places, adding new places, answering disability-related questions and etc. After the session, we will be going on a Geowalk in Batticaloa City. Mission Area: https://goo.gl/qr7SHS All are invited as this meet up is open for all.

RSVP here

10 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: ♿Join Hands to Help Millions

Knowledge sharing is SO impactful. This is another way to contribute to accessibility and it is amazing, @IlankovanT! This meet-up immediately reminded me of a quote by Mother Teresa, "I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples". Can't wait to hear all about it! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

@IlankovanT great approach to take meetup to a ultimate resource to help or find out the places with accessibilities. 

We are having a idea of hosting one meet up in Hyderabad on the similar accessibility discovery ,so few inputs from your side can help us.

Googler

Fantastic meet-up, @IlankovanT! I can't wait to hear how this goes and am so impressed by your contacts in Sri Lanka and ability to put something like this together! 🙂 Thanks for making the world a better place for everyone!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

@IlankovanT This will definitely help a lot. The Knowledge Sharing is one of the best ways to contribute to Google Maps. Since I am hosting a meetup on same day at Kalutara, I won't be able to attend this one.

Level 9

Thanks @JeslynL It's so inspiring. It has always been a pleasure to work for those in need.

@NarenChandra Thanks for the appraisal. Sure I will share some lessons learned after the session to help you plan and implement it well.

Thanks, @TraciC for the inspiration. I will sure share what I learnt from the implementation. Hoping to help as much as I can while I am able to.

@AnuradhaP Thanks. Hope you can help as much as possible to live a better life eventhoug they are physically challenged.

Level 2

Hello from Jordan this is the first time I'm posting something in this page

Level 10

Hi @IlankovanT

Thank you for caring and sharing this fabulous, extremely well planned outstanding *Join Hands to Help Millions Batticaloa Sri Lanka Accessibility meet-up and Geo Walk. An extraordinarily well thought meet-up in association with the identified Non Profit organization who help disabled people from 2011 in Sri Lanka in the Eastern Province after the civil war. Congratulations on a sensational idea. I am sure it will all be a great day helping many in mapping accessibility places on Google Maps as well as helping people to know how much is available already to help all people with different accessibility needs and showing people how to add more and answer simple questions to make huge difference to help others. 

Kudos

@Justine2807

Level 9

Hi @Audh1969 welcome to local guides connect 🙂

@Justine2807 thanks for the kind words and I wil share the RECAP after the event 🙂

Level 9