UchechukwuEnem's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

International Day of Culture || Let’s spread the cultural diversity around us to the globe.

[RECAP] Geo walk for International Cultural Day for Awka

It was a fun filled day at our first meet up for international cultural day for Awka. It was held on 20th May at St. Patrick’s Catholic Cathedral, Awka, which happens to be one of the biggest Cathedrals in Nigeria.

We took a walk round the cathedral, inside and outside the cathedral to appreciate nature and the sculptural works of the Saints in the building. It was really exciting especially with the live streaming video with some local guides.  I felt so fulfilled.

We arrived at the venue 40 minutes earlier before the fixed time at 2.20pm. It gave us the opportunity to move round the cathedral and to start up a live streaming on hangout. I enjoyed every bit of the moment with other Awka Local Guides like Chuks Onyeka Okoye, Emeka Okoye and Amarachi Okpunobi.

Emeka and Flozy at Ije Art Exhibition in Nelen Studio, Udoka Estate, AwkaEmeka and Flozy at Ije Art Exhibition in Nelen Studio, Udoka Estate, AwkaFlozy at St. Patrick's Cathedral, AwkaFlozy at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Awka20180520_160403 rrr.jpgAwka local guides admiring some traditional art worksAwka local guides admiring some traditional art worksA selfie at Nelen Studio and Ije Art Exhibition TheatreA selfie at Nelen Studio and Ije Art Exhibition TheatreAwka Local Guides in Group PhotographAwka Local Guides in Group PhotographWe sang and danced to our cultural music at the recording studioWe sang and danced to our cultural music at the recording studioUceey10 in her fulll cultural attire. The marks on my face is called 'Uli'often referred to as mascara.  My Cap is called ‘Ókpu’ in igbo language My Waist bead is called ‘Jigida’ in our local language The beads on my neck is generally called ‘aka’ in igbo language The cloth on my body is generally called ‘Ogodo’ in our local language. The black hair that looks like a horse tail is called ‘Nza’ in  Igbo languageUceey10 in her fulll cultural attire. The marks on my face is called 'Uli'often referred to as mascara. My Cap is called ‘Ókpu’ in igbo language My Waist bead is called ‘Jigida’ in our local language The beads on my neck is generally called ‘aka’ in igbo language The cloth on my body is generally called ‘Ogodo’ in our local language. The black hair that looks like a horse tail is called ‘Nza’ in Igbo languageL-R Uceey10, Chinelo & FlozyL-R Uceey10, Chinelo & FlozyL-R; Onyedika Okoye, Chinelo and Emeka OkoyeL-R; Onyedika Okoye, Chinelo and Emeka OkoyeIMG_9453 rrr.jpgUceey 10 &Onyedika OkoyeUceey 10 &Onyedika Okoye

At 4.25, we left to Nelen Studio at Udoka Estate, Awka, where we have the Ije Art Exhibition, to appreciate arts and culture. It was really a lovely experience. We couldn’t do a live streaming video because of poor network that area.  Ije Art in Nelen Studio was really exciting as artists were there to welcome us and to take us round to some of their drawings, paintings and many more.  Some of them are Chinelo, Chima, Moses, Dike and many others. It was very beautiful as many art works made with ‘uli’ referred to as ‘mascara’ in English language is a symbolic way of communicating with nature and our Igbo heritage.

My Cap is called ‘Ókpu’ in igbo language

My Waist bead is called ‘Jigida’ in our local language

The beads on my neck is generally called ‘aka’ in Igbo language

The cloth on my body is generally called ‘Ogodo’ in our local language.

The black hair that looks like a horse tail is called ‘Nza’ in  Igbo language.

Check out our Photo video:

Check out our video at :  https://youtu.be/n5ZdvEHC5Xo

Thank you Local Guides: Chuks Onyedika Okoye, Flozy Okpunobi, Emeka Okoye, Chuks DN, Imelda Ikwuamaeze, for making this great!. Thank You

Awka, Anambra, Nigeria
12 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: International Day of Culture || Let’s spread the cultural diversity around us to the globe.

Hey @UchechukwuEnem,

I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our spam filters run 24/7 and they can be pretty harsh at times.

We have a very good article that is going to give you some more insight of how spamming works here on Connect - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: International Day of Culture || Let’s spread the cultural diversity around us to the globe.

@UchechukwuEnem this really colorful and nice. Thumbs up.

Level 10

WOW! This is wonderful @UchechukwuEnem. Thank tou so much from the team of Nepal to your team for hosting the meetup there and making it very successful. 

I felt sorry that you couldn't do a live streaming but I can see the beautiful video footage in your recap. Its my pleasureto see you all decorated with cultural dressups. A heartiest thanks toceach and everyone of you.

Thanks a lof foe this brief recap also where I can learn some of the typical names of your cultural costumes. 🙂 😃

Level 10

What an awesome recap @UchechukwuEnem. It was so nice exploring the Nigerian Culture. Thanks for sharing.

Level 10

Some people take cultures more serious than others and it really is important we cherish our values as it keeps us strong as a community. Wonderful job you guys did from the Eastern part of Nigeria. I'm so so happy to see you dressed well in these attires. Let's keep guiding and helping the community. 

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Connect Moderator

@UchechukwuEnem gush. You just blew my mind completely with the music and details of your attires. I'm proud of you. As an "Ofoala" and "ama ala" you have done something worthy by sharing your rich culture with fellow local guides all over the globe. 

You just made my day awesome!

Xoxo

'Emeka Ulor

Level 7

@UchechukwuEnem, thanks for hosting our meet up.  I really enjoyed it.  #proud of Igbo,  proud to be an African #

Level 9

@UchechukwuEnem this is so colourful.

Job well done.

Nigeria  
Level 10

Hello @UchechukwuEnem

Thank you for sharing your absolutely amazing, beautiful International Day of Culture in Awka.

It has been such a wonderful event to be a part of the experience with you via Hangouts on YouTube LiveStreaming was really fabulous!

The colours and spirits in all the outfits and the people wearing them was super bright and I love the patterns on them too, plus all your matching jewellery and the head wear is a really lovely stylish finish to the outfits for the international Day of Culture

Your whole team for Google Maps Local Guides Connect Awka are an amazing happy group of people. I love all the pictures by the art and with the instruments as well. You looked incredible! The art looks like the artist has captured the creative spirit of Awka and made it real in their painting. 

The trip to St Patricks was exceptional as well. The largest chapel in Awka is very cultural, and so so big! Thanks again for letting us share your superb Local Culture in Awka too. 

With kind regards

@Justine2807