GusMoreira's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to Organize a Map Editing Meet-Up

IMG_3000.jpg

A map editing meet-up is a gathering where Local Guides come together with their laptops and/or mobile devices to add and improve the places they know and like seeing on Google Maps.

The best way to start organizing a map editing meet-up is by finding a place where you can host everyone. Consider checking with your local library, university or even coffee shops to see if there’s space you can reserve for the meet-up. Look for places that have a strong Internet connection so that attendees can map quickly and efficiently. It’s also best to look for a space that has tables and chairs so that attendees can map on their personal laptops (and you have a place for snacks and drinks!).

Once you’ve decided on a date and time and selected your venue, submit your meet-up for us to review. Make sure to include information for attendees so they know what to bring (e.g., laptops and/or mobile devices, chargers, food, drinks) and where to meet. Once approved, your meet-up will appear on the list of upcoming meet-ups and Local Guides will be able to register to attend.

The goal at your meet-up is for Local Guides to map everything within an area or a specific theme. There are a few ways you can do this — you can focus on mapping a certain neighborhood, an entire region, popular/tourist locations in your city or even a particular type of location such as university premises, organizational premises or personal areas. For example, you and your friends can map or fix information for all medical facilities in your neighborhood.

During these meet-ups you shouldn’t add information from printed or published maps. All information should be based on your personal knowledge of the area. The more you know about your area, the more accurate information you can contribute and help millions of Google Maps users, travelers and tourists.

Have you hosted or participated in a map editing meet-up before? Tell us your tips in the comments below.

Happy mapping!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
34 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to organize a Map Editing meet-up

Excelente post @GusMoreira, gracias por compartir todos esos Tips, yo no realice nunca una de estas o participe, pero con esta guía puedo comenzar a imaginar cómo puede ser preparar una de estas. Del todas maneras me queda una duda juntarse a agregar puntos faltantes en Google Maps haciendo con solo el recuerdo de mi memoria, me parece un poco arduo. En particular imaginaba esto, que los agregaba caminando por El Barrio o la zona en cuestión y dando fe de que lo que agregó es lo que veo en el momento, inclusive en ocaciones me ayudó con info que encuentro en otros medios, (internet, mapas municipales , etc) ya que no siempre en la fachada del negocio está toda la información. 

Muchas gracias por los consejos.

Saludos Farid.

Connect Moderator

@GusMoreiraThanks for your Suggestion... 

This tips help my upcoming Maps editing Meet up for the Final celebration of Mapping Your world week.. 

Happy Mapping 

Haappy Guiding 

Level 8

Thank you very much for the write up, @GusMoreira.  It is much needed for us planning for Map your World Week.

During my planning, I asked at Mapping your World board, to see if the targets I wanted adding to Maps is allowed or not.

Although it turned out they are not allowed, it is very valuable lesson! 

It prevented me from asking atendees to map places that will not get published in Maps.

Level 8

@GusMoreiraThanks for this post. it is very helpful for upcoming Mapping Your world week.

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Former Google Contributor

@FaridTDF, it's not only using your memory, of course. You can use any maps or brochures you may have, and you have the Internet at your fingertips to look for missing info. Of course, if you cannot find online any missing info, it can be tougher 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 6

Si tienes razón, la verdad que y pensé que era algo como un #mapatón en el que se va creando una perspectiva ciudadana de la ciudad....y no desde la oficina...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Organize a Map Editing Meet-Up

Thanks for the tips @GusMoreira

Level 8

Thanks for your valuable information @GusMoreira.. This is sure going to help me a lot..

Vellore Local Guides
Level 7

Thank you for sharing this useful post

How can I organise. A meetup in my city as I haven't seen any local guide from Kashmir in lgconnect...?

Basityousuf