cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Connect Live 2018

Dear fellow Local Guides & Backpackers 

Am Venkata Sai Gowtham from India currently staying in Mumbai

Travelling and exploring new places is a part of my life .I travel a lot for my personal interest as well as for my professional work. I work for a MNC as a Sale and Business development manager .Few years back when i started using smart phone, google maps was new to me and i tried it to solve my navigation problems to desired destination. However sometimes i couldn't find my destination place in maps as it was not created in it then i came to know from one of my friend that we too can add places  and contribute  to maps by adding  missing or new places and that is how my journey as a local guide started and reached level 8 now .

Local guide is now a part of my daily routine , whenever i feel a need to update some information  be it a review or pictures i do it instantly .No one can deny that Google maps is now a  very integral part of our life and Local guide program is exactly which makes a progressive development in it .I had captured a lot of pictures of every new place i travel which help other  google searchers/ travel enthusiasts  to have a view of it before planning trip  .All my pictures got a cumulative views of more than 2 Million !! This includes pictures of Medical stores, Medical clinics, Shopping malls, sign boards of Toilet for Handicapped etc which also provides crucial information.

One more important learning being a local guide is that we too can be a part of support system for Handicapped people. In this local guides program i get questions about availability of parking, staircase, Toilets etc for physically handicapped person and i answer them with utmost care so that it helps a lot of required people .I make sure that whenever i visit a proper commercial place or building i take note if that Shopping mall has a wheelchair accessible ramp, toilet for handicapped etc.

If i have to conclude my experience about Local guides in one statement then it is a " collaborative effort from each local guide / traveller for making better mapping and easy navigation and it is the most practical and progressive tool in our current civilization “. Even though i never got a opportunity to participate in a meetup i am all excited for it and hope I can attend one too.

I am happy to be Local guide and to explore world with help of Google maps 

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
1 comment
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Connect Live 2018

Good luck l.