TimBull's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

A local Local Guide guiding a Local Guide [Recap] #LGsummit2017 - Part 15 (By Tim)

Post guide: Here (links to all other 14 recaps!)

Thanks to @ErmesT 

I was signed up to a lovely group of friends (called team Yosemite!) to write a post/recap of the summit 2017. However being the typical laid-back guy I am I thought I can totally do this in a few days and then forgot completely. So better late than never half a year late.. here it is..
Also considering there is now an epic group of 151 people going in 2018 I thought I should share my experience of last year so I can add to the massive amount of excitement you all have already have about going!!!rps20180620_204158.jpg

Me and @AdrianLunsong from the UK.

Last year I was one of the very luck ones to be invited but I only got the invite 30 days before the conference... Yes this can happen if sadly others can't get visa's etc. However ith this panic mixed with excitement I set about trying to organised my trip very last minute!! My advice at this point for anyone booking flights... Is to book for as long as you can get. Hotels are expensive out there but it's totally worth going a few days earlier and meeting some of the other local guides in advance!! Even saying a few days after and hang out with some of your new found friendsrps20180620_203942.jpg

I managed to get signed up on a pre Yosemite trip! 2 magical days in one of the most picturesque places on earth and only 4 hours drive away from SF. And I got to go with an amazing group of local guides. 

@YK1001 @Badruddee @MuhannadK @RohithaF @AinurZ @Andras_H @SoniaK @MariaFernandaS 

We have the most amazing time exploring the Valley and seeing the sights. I can highly recommend it. And Finding @Lachlan_M_Wells bag! (I think we drove around for at least a hour trying to find it!)

rps20180620_204023.jpg

After the trip we went back to the hotel which Google had put us up up. Which I can only say was a dream after sharing a bedroom with 6 other people the night before.
The evening party was amazing, meeting 150 over local guides another Google staff is an experience in itself. If a little overwhelming. However I seem to got to know people  quickly and soon felt that part of the Gang.rps20180620_204051.jpg

The next two days where just a whirlwind. It's it's so hard to describe because I was enjoying every second. Constantly chatting sharing your experiences discovering new things. It was also really nice to feel like I giveing back to the local guides scheme in the small groups and brainstorming sessions that the Googlers is it put on. 

If you feel like that's going to be all too much don't worry there was one afternoon off when we got to go see the Golden Great Bridge.rps20180620_204140.jpg

The evening parties or just Google Madness, you would not believe how they managed to get brightly coloured objects from the Google theme into so many things, like the Epic balloon Ballroom!!!

If you are one of the 151 getting to go this year you are in for a treat.

Afters.
Of the conference @@@KarenVChin@@ the awesome person she is had arranged a boat trip sailing around Alcatraz and not only that an extra tour to see some of the Google buildings how's your wangled that one I have no idea.rps20180620_204215.jpg

Make sure you get a ride on the cable cars while you're in town and maybe a trip to Alcatraz for Sunrise to which I know Adrian did and loved.

I then had the honour of staying an extra week after the conference with my family exploring San Francisco and surrounding area.

I can only say it's one of the best experiences of my life, its was amazing opportunity to go to America for the first time see the sights and experience it all with local guides from all around the world. Just how epic is that. rps20180620_204245.jpg

Sadly I've got not got a place this year however and wishing the 151 all the best, it's your year and don't worry I will get applying next year!!

Manchester UK Local Guides: https://goo.gl/tBYxXm (Come Join us!)
15 comments
Level 8

Re: A local Local Guide guiding a Local Guide [Recap] #LGsummit2017 - Part 15 (By Tim)

@TimBull wrote:

Post guide: Here (links to all other 14 recaps!)

@Thanks to @ @ErmesT 

I was signed up to a lovely group of friends (called team Yosemite!) to write a post/recap of the summit 2017. However being the typical laid-back guy I am I thought I can totally do this in a few days and then forgot completely. So better late than never half a year late.. here it is..
Also considering there is now an epic group of 151 people going in 2018 I thought I should share my experience of last year so I can add to the massive amount of excitement you all have already have about going!!!rps20180620_204158.jpg

Me and @AdrianLunsong from the UK.

Last year I was one of the very luck ones to be invited but I only got the invite 30 days before the conference... Yes this can happen if sadly others can't get visa's etc. However ith this panic mixed with excitement I set about trying to organised my trip very last minute!! My advice at this point for anyone booking flights... Is to book for as long as you can get. Hotels are expensive out there but it's totally worth going a few days earlier and meeting some of the other local guides in advance!! Even saying a few days after and hang out with some of your new found friendsrps20180620_203942.jpg

I managed to get signed up on a pre Yosemite trip! 2 magical days in one of the most picturesque places on earth and only 4 hours drive away from SF. And I got to go with an amazing group of local guides. 

@YK1001 @ @SampsonF @Badruddeen @MuhannadK @RohithaF @AinurZ @Andras_H

We have the most amazing time exploring the Valley and seeing the sights. I can highly recommend it.

rps20180620_204023.jpg

After the trip we went back to the hotel which Google had put us up up. Which I can only say was a dream after sharing a bedroom with 6 other people the night before.
The evening party was amazing, meeting 150 over local guides another Google staff is an experience in itself. If a little overwhelming. However I seem to got to know people  quickly and soon felt that part of the Gang.rps20180620_204051.jpg

The next two days where just a whirlwind. It's it's so hard to describe because I was enjoying every second. Constantly chatting sharing your experiences discovering new things. It was also really nice to feel like I giveing back to the local guides scheme in the small groups and brainstorming sessions that the Googlers is it put on. 

If you feel like that's going to be all too much don't worry there was one afternoon off when we got to go see the Golden Great Bridge.rps20180620_204140.jpg

The evening parties or just Google Madness, you would not believe how they managed to get brightly coloured objects from the Google theme into so many things, like the Epic balloon Ballroom!!!

If you are one of the 151 getting to go this year you are in for a treat.

Afters.
@Of the conference @@@KarenVChin@@ the awesome person she is had arranged a boat trip sailing around Alcatraz and not only that an extra tour to see some of the Google buildings how's your wangled that one I have no idea.rps20180620_204215.jpg

Make sure you get a ride on the cable cars while you're in town and maybe a trip to Alcatraz for Sunrise to which I know Adrian did and loved.

I then had the honour of staying an extra week after the conference with my family exploring San Francisco and surrounding area.

I can only say it's one of the best experiences of my life, its was amazing opportunity to go to America for the first time see the sights and experience it all with local guides from all around the world. Just how epic is that. rps20180620_204245.jpg

Sadly I've got not got a place this year however and wishing the 151 all the best, it's your year and don't worry I will get applying next year!!

Hey Tim - We will hopefully make it next year.

Cheers mate.

Level 9

Re: A local Local Guide guiding a Local Guide [Recap] #LGsummit2017 - Part 15 (By Tim)

Thank you very much  @TimBull .. 😊 

Yes ...it was amazing  ..

Level 9

Yes it really was!!! Miss u bro!

Connect Moderator

Hey @TimBull

better late than never, you said?

I would say that you are in the perfect time for posting, with all the LG super curious about what will happen in Connect Live.

We cannot talk too much about LGSummit 17, but of course we have a lot of stories about pre/post summit activities so ...

Your post in on the index of course

Ermes

Connect Moderator

@TimBull, great recap! It’s never too late to write and share your travel experiences here on Connect.

I did not realize you were what I call a LGSummit17 waitlisted attendee. I’m sure you were both estatic and stressed to figure how to arrange your life with a month’s notice to come and join us for Summit 17.

As for the impromptu Google SF tour, my secrets are my secrets = )

Nice spending the extra time with you Friday for most of the day too!

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

OK @TimBull

You don't miss me? 🙂 You are missing only @MuhannadK LOL

Cheers mate.

Level 9

@ErmesT wrote:

Hey @TimBull

better late than never, you said?

I would say that you are in the perfect time for posting, with all the LG super curious about what will happen in Connect Live.

We cannot talk too much about LGSummit 17, but of course we have a lot of stories about pre/post summit activities so ...

Your post in on the index of course

Ermes

@ErmesT@ Always better late than never! 

And yes I thought it was good timing also. All these newbie's wondering what they are going to!

Level 9

@KarenVChin wrote:

I did not realize you were what I call a LGSummit17 waitlisted attendee. I’m sure you were both estatic and stressed to figure how to arrange your life with a month’s notice to come and join us for Summit 17.

@KarenVChin I'm hoping for the same thing this year. 

It was so good that you were so welcoming. 

I was sad u did not come the zoo with us. It was a really good shout! 

Level 9

@Badruddeen wrote:

OK @TimBull

You don't miss me? 🙂 You are missing only @MuhannadK LOL

Cheers mate.

@Badruddeen totally miss u! @MuhannadK and the rest of the crew.