how to add video on google map?

IPWT, Delhi, India
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: video

Hello @Sureshbeniwal,

Video uploads to Google Maps are only available for Android users at present time (not iOS or Desktop).  If you are an android user and would like to upload videos, please read this post here that lays out all the details!

I am not available to respond on the weekend

View solution in original post

Solution

Hello @Sureshbeniwal,

Video uploads to Google Maps are only available for Android users at present time (not iOS or Desktop).  If you are an android user and would like to upload videos, please read this post here that lays out all the details!

Level 7

Thanks

Level 7

@BruceDM

Will Google be adding the possibility to upload video through other means than Android phones (preferably desk/laptop)? Although smartphones nowadays give rather good quality, it's no match for an actual camcorder or DSLR, furthermore so since most users hold their phone vertically when shooting video.

Hi @IbanV -  Thanks for your post. The team is working on rolling these features out on iOS and desktop but there is no ETA on when this will happen at this time.

@Sureshbeniwal - If you do have an android device, you are able to post videos to Google Maps. You can read more about it in an post we shared last year.

Level 7

I have 2 failed work-arounds.  #1-Isn't a Chromebook an Android OS?  Answer: Apparently no as far as adding video to Maps.  I could download my .mov Quicktime movie from Drive, but it failed saying the file needed to be a .jpg or other photo file.  #2-I used an old Android phone and took a video of my iOS screen video.  Answer: When trying to add the video to Maps, I DID see the "folder" option, but the new video was not listed as an option.  (Probably an out-of-date version of Maps?)  Also - when I tried "camera" rather than "folder", the camera option would not change to video-mode, only still-mode.  (Again, probably an old version of Maps?)

Level 8

I took a video with my Canon, only 7 seconds long (of flaming food) and added it to my Google photos using my computer. Then I was able to use my phone (Android) to upload it to the restaurant entry on Google Maps. If I recall this was done from the Google photos app, then shared to Google maps from the app.

Level 7

Was the phone you used to upload video  from Google photos android or iOS? 

Android, no surprise. iOS, very big surprise! 

Level 8

Yes it was Android (I have updated the previous entry to make this clear now). This was just was getting around the problem of uploading from a computer in this instance, which is not supported as yet. I did use the computer to upload to Google photos, but from there had to use the Android phone to get it onto maps.