Level 7

missing points

Round about 50 points are missing since yesterday, reason unknown

Karby, Germany
9 comments
Level 8

Re: missing points

Hi @WolfgangD,

Our LG points will be deducted if our contributed contents are removed.  (If the Place is closed permenantly, or contents got flagged as bad.)

If you are sure the point losts are not due to removed contents, please observe the details in your LG homepage: https://maps.google.com/localguides/home for 7 days.  (Please see if points from the 5 sub-types add up to the total, and if any of the counts in each sub-type is not normal.)

Sometimes, our Points and Counts will be not shown correctly due to hiccups while Google doing data sync across the systems.  Which the system will correct by itself in a few days.

In last December, lots of LGs hit by a bug such that our counts and points from Answers sub-type are gone, which should be fixed already.

Please refer to this thread for more details Known Issue: Drop in points (updates shared here).

Level 7

Up to now the nearly 50 points are still gone. No shop or restaurant or museum has permanently closed. I am very disappointed, because it is the second time that this mistake happens within two months.

Level 8

Hi @WolfgangD,

I consider what you are facing is part of our LG life.  As long as the contents are there, the points will be back to where it should be.

Maps is a huge ecosystem having huge number of users.  As Google  keep improving the products - small hiccups here and there are hard to prevent entirely. 

Level 9
Level 9

@WolfgangD wrote:

Up to now the nearly 50 points are still gone. No shop or restaurant or museum has permanently closed.

Hi Wolfgang, there are many reasons points may be removed, you mention places closing, you're correct that's one way. Another reason is that reviews or photos may be flagged and removed on a case by case basis if something is perceived to be wrong with them.

Photos could be of poor quality, or unhelpful etc. May I offer a comment on one of your photos https://goo.gl/maps/GuFC6UQuXZF2 it is associated with the Strandrestaurant Lobster restaurant. One could easily imagine your photo being reported as "This photo is not in the right location on the map" or "This photo is not helpful for understanding what this place looks like" . Your photo is lovely, but really it is an image of the beach near the restaurant, not the restaurant itself. There are some photo tips in this guide

Looking through the rest of your photos https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/103205593853431371011/photos/ I notice that many are associated with geographical areas not specific places. For example you have a photo of some wintry trees associated with the municipality of Karby

24398, Germany

I'm not sure whether it is possible to obtain points for such a photo, how did you add it to the map? Perhaps points were incorrectly awarded then removed, I'm not sure, maybe a Google Mod such as @Corrie @TraciC or the photo expert @AnnaDickson could clarify
Googler

As both @YK1001 and @Pea have mentioned

• Local Guides receive 1 point per place they upload photos to, whether it's 1 photos or 10 photo, though it must be a specific place or point of interest on Google Maps and not coordinates. 
  • Points will decrease/are removed if photo or review contribution does not adhere to Google Maps' policies or if a place that an image or review is uploaded to is completely deleted from Google Maps. Visiting Your contributions tab within Google Maps should prove to be helpful if you're certain your contributions have not violated the policies.
  • Points occasionally do fluctuate and typically normalize after 24 hours or so (though for edits and photos, it's after they've been accepted/approved for points to be awarded).

As I do not know where you think you are losing points and it's been a short period of time, I recommend giving it some time for the points to normalize and if it's still the case next week, feel free to tag one of us Google moderators in to look into your account for you. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Local Guide, 

If you are facing the 'missing points' problem on your Google Maps Contribution profile and you want to know the reasons then stay here and read carefully. Here, you can surely know your reason :- 

a. Let us suppose that you wrote a review of a place, but unfortunately some other local guide marked that place as 'Spam' or 'Permanently Closed' place, and for this activities Google removes that place from Maps, And hence, your earned points for that place missed from your contributions. 

b. If you delete your Google Location History then surely your Points Decreases. 

c. If you unfortunately or mistake by delete any Review or posted photos then it can be one of the reason.

d. Also Points may be breakdown if your contribution is determined to be in violation of the Google Maps content policy.

e. If you wrote an Advertising Review or Off-Topic Review then also it be. 

Level 9
Level 9

Hi @TraciC are you able to comment on the specific part of my post regarding photos associated with geographic areas rather than specific POIs. Do such photos earn points? In Wolfgang's case the example was his photo of trees for Karby 

Googler

Hi @Pea. Yes, as I noted in my earlier reply, Local Guides receive 1 point per place they upload photos to, whether it's 1 photos or 10 photo, though it must be a specific place or point of interest on Google Maps and not coordinates. Karby is not a specific place or point of interest so it will not earn points. cc: @WolfgangD

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

That photo of Karbys church in winter is worth just one poor point. I miss about 50 points. My photos (meanwhile 120.000 clicks) and my reviews/recensions are unique. For weeks I am completely inaktive after about 50 points disappeared. Now all of a sudden I got two points. For what?