Pranav78657's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

how do i add a natural waterfall to google maps?

I want to add a natural waterfall location to google maps. But when I try to add it via Maps android app, it does not have waterfall as a category.

Should I use google mapmaker for this? It said that mapmaker willbe retired in march 2017. can I still add new places using it now?

Taipei City, Taiwan
16 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: how do i add a natural waterfall to google maps?

Hi @Pranav78657,

For the Waterfall itself, definitely we SHOULD NOT add.  Please use the "Send Feedback" in Maps to report this to the Maps team.

@Pea - 

For the "Observation Points", to my understanding, 3 categories can be used:

1.  Scenic Spot

2.  Observation Deck

3.  Tourist Attraction

Depends on the details specific to the viewing point you are adding.

How do you think?

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @Pranav78657 You can add a missing place from inside the Google Map app or by visiting the Google Map website.

But if you can not find the exact category of "water fall". Then you can use this category "Tourist Attraction". But if the waterfall is just a regular place rather than a visiting site, then it is not mandatory to add that place on map.

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Level 8

Hi @Pranav78657,

Waterfall is s water feature which editing is not open to public.

Furthermore, it is considered as NOT an establishment, so it is not mappable.

But the observation points for the waterfall is mappable.

Level 9
Level 9

@YK1001 wrote:

the observation points for the waterfall is mappable.

Are you sure about that? What would be the category?

Level 6

Thanks for information.

How about 'Scenic Spot' category? 

Btw I wanted to add Cuifeng Waterfall (on Tianmu trail, near Chinese Culture University). I was surprised to see that it was not yet on google maps hence wanted to add it.

Level 8
Solution

Hi @Pranav78657,

For the Waterfall itself, definitely we SHOULD NOT add.  Please use the "Send Feedback" in Maps to report this to the Maps team.

@Pea - 

1.  Scenic Spot

2.  Observation Deck

3.  Tourist Attraction

How do you think?

Level 9
Level 9

@YK1001 wrote:

1.  Scenic Spot

2.  Observation Deck

3.  Tourist Attraction

In the specific case that that Pranav brought up of a waterfall, you advised that "the observation points for the waterfall is mappable", which category were you expecting him to use for the 'observation point'?

I doubt any of these could be used and I'm concerned you may be advising LGs to add unmappable features, without giving them clarification. If every waterfall can have an 'observation point' then why not every bend in the river, every hill top, every building with a nice view out the window. Here is a MapMaker forum posting about spots which are scenic https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/map-maker/ZmfPYc29r-0/7VWpIKvJCwAJ

Level 8

Hi @Pea,

First of all, please do not quote out of context.

@Pranav78657 ask for mapping of a waterfall.  My advice is, Waterfall is not open for editing for public.  Do you have any concern about this?

Secondly, I say Observation Points are Mapping.  You asked which Category can be used (about the observation point), I provided 3, saying depends on the details of the points to be added.  Do you understand the difference with the Waterfall itself and the points that we can View the waterfall?  Please re-read the thread and if needed, ask for clarifications.

I do not got how you will compare the Mapping of a Observation point to the Mapping of "bend of river", "hill top".  Please educate us further.

The thread in Mapmaker forum you quote is long.  Please point the specific reply / message it is relevant to this discussion.

If you want to accuse people providing wrong advice, please give a more solid evidence.

Please feel free to esculate my advices given in this thread to the Mapping Experts.  Their view point regarding this will be very help to lots of fellow LGs.

Level 9
Level 9

Hi Sampson, very sorry but I don't think I quoted out of context. You said "Waterfall is s water feature which editing is not open to public. Furthermore, it is considered as NOT an establishment, so it is not mappable. But the observation points for the waterfall is mappable." So you have told the LG not to map the waterfall [good advice] but that they can map an observation point for the waterfall [possibly doubtful advice]. I've re read your thread several times, I can't see how I was quoting you out of context? My apologies if I've misunderstood, but to me it reads like you have advised that this waterfall can have an observation point. Is that not what you were saying?

The reason I mentioned bend in the river etc is to say, not everything which is simply a nice view in the opinion of the LG, is necessarily considered mappable. Standing in front of a waterfall or on a hill top will provide lovely view but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a mappable observation point/deck/scenic spot.

Here's the important part from the MM forum post: "Please be aware that the Scenic Spot category is not for you to add spots you found to be scenic, but is for adding the signed lookouts along the road and other similar spots that have some sort of official status. Such places need official names, you cannot use descriptions in place of names and a POI will not show on the map or in search without a name"

By the way, I think we are all trying our best to give advice and help based on the information we have to hand. Unfortunately it is a complicated business with rules that evolved over time and those rules are sadly not all in one easy reference place. Even senior mappers like Regional Leads sometimes disagree or make mistakes, ultimately it's about helping each other spread best practice. 

Level 8

• PhilipF wrote:
  • Hi Sampson, very sorry but I don't think I quoted out of context. You said "Waterfall is s water feature which editing is not open to public. Furthermore, it is considered as NOT an establishment, so it is not mappable. But the observation points for the waterfall is mappable." So you have told the LG not to map the waterfall [good advice] but that they can map an observation point for the waterfall [possibly doubtful advice]. I've re read your thread several times, I can't see how I was quoting you out of context? My apologies if I've misunderstood, but to me it reads like you have advised that this waterfall can have an observation point. Is that not what you were saying?

I said observation points of waterfall is mappable.  Only when they are mappable in general, we need to study under what condition a specific point is mappable or not and by whom.  Once I know Waterfall is not mappable by public, then I fall back to use Send Feedback.  As I belive Waterfalls can be included in Maps. 

• The reason I mentioned bend in the river etc is to say, not everything which is simply a nice view in the opinion of the LG, is necessarily considered mappable. Standing in front of a waterfall or on a hill top will provide lovely view but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a mappable observation point/deck/scenic spot.

For the other side of the coin, it also do not mean every observation points are NOT mappable.  I appreciate to your attitude that not doing an edit unless 100% sure it is correct.  I hope all Google Reviewer has this  attitude, then there will not be so many bad contents in Maps.  

For me, I add a feature with a belive that it is mappable.  I depends on the Approver to tell me when I am wrong.  And learn along the way.

• Here's the important part from the MM forum post: "Please be aware that the Scenic Spot category is not for you to add spots you found to be scenic, but is for adding the signed lookouts along the road and other similar spots that have some sort of official status. Such places need official names, you cannot use descriptions in place of names and a POI will not show on the map or in search without a name"

Again, with suitable conditions Scenic Spot / Observation Decks / Tourist Attraction can be mapped.  I give the benefit of double to the Mapper.  Once an edit is submitted, reviews can be done with all the included details in the edit.

• By the way, I think we are all trying our best to give advice and help based on the information we have to hand. Unfortunately it is a complicated business with rules that evolved over time and those rules are sadly not all in one easy reference place. Even senior mappers like Regional Leads sometimes disagree or make mistakes, ultimately it's about helping each other spread best practice.  

That's why when I have enough belive it is mappable, I add the feature and wait for the final review results.