s_cdas's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

What to become a map maker?

I am a local guide level 7. I am previously in mapmaker program of google as well as in Open Street map program. I like to do this kind of stuffs. But, as google local guide doesn't let me add or edit road it become a bad program 4 me.. i would like to work along google in this project.. my contribution will be use for my community as well us teavellers come to my area. Suggest me something. If now i will go to Open street map.. i like google map so much

Kerala, India
12 comments
Level 10

Re: What to become a map maker?

Connect Moderator

@s_cdas Hi !!

At present you no need to be a Map maker !!! Its a Google retired Program !!!

You can now edit roads using Google maps and with Local Guides Program.

So its time to be a great Local Guides only not for map maker !!

Red these Forum Updates about Road edits on maps

Happy Guiding!!!

Level 6

You didn't not answer my question brother. I know google maps very wel. I want to add roads myself. All the request made by me didn't accpt. And i know my job. I am asking about any projects

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

Hi @s_cdas to know how to fix a road please visit this article: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/News-Updates/Report-a-missing-road-on-Google-Maps/ba-p/266970

Level 10

Hi @ShafiulB thank you for providing those useful links to @s_cdas, as I was having problem with my browser couldn't get much to write for him. Hi @s_cdas you have your answers by @ShafiulB

Level 6

Thanks guyz,

But, it is not my style to wait for someone to accept my road request as i put effort in it and not accepted. Sending feedback is not a 100% success. Cause to draw a road you have to know the place. Sitting in a chair and looking in a request won't do the real road. John Senex travel the world for making maps. Not sit on a table and saw the world.

@ShafiulB wrote:

@s_cdas Hi !!

Happy Guiding!!!

Thanks guyz,

But, it is not my style to wait for someone to accept my road request as i put effort in it and not accepted. Sending feedback is not a 100% success. Cause to draw a road you have to know the place. Sitting in a chair and looking in a request won't do the real road. John Senex travel the world for making maps. Not sit on a table and saw the world.

Connect Moderator

@s_cdas Hi!!

@s_cdas wrote:

Thanks guyz,

But, it is not my style to wait for someone to accept my road request as i put effort in it and not accepted. Sending feedback is not a 100% success. Cause to draw a road you have to know the place. Sitting in a chair and looking in a request won't do the real road. John Senex travel the world for making maps. Not sit on a table and saw the world.

@ShafiulB wrote:

@s_cdas Hi !!

Happy Guiding!!!

Thanks guyz,

But, it is not my style to wait for someone to accept my road request as i put effort in it and not accepted. Sending feedback is not a 100% success. Cause to draw a road you have to know the place. Sitting in a chair and looking in a request won't do the real road. John Senex travel the world for making maps. Not sit on a table and saw the world.

Its better you create a My map. where you will able to made 100% Edits.... whatever you want.. https://mymaps.google.com

Happy Guiding.

Level 9

Hie @s_cdas,

If you do not wish to wait plz refer to the information provided by @ShafiulB. Create your own map and edit it whenever you want. 

But here you have to wait until your edit got approve. Don't take it personally please but conditions applies for everyone. 

Make sure all details you have submitted are correct as @HelloSamsonR mentioned. 

You have to wait minimum 6 months. 

If your edit got accepted you'll receive an email. 

Happy Mapping 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

Hi @s_cdas the others have given correct information but I will add something more. The retirement of Map Maker left a bit of a hole in the Mapping effort. Map Maker was old and clunky. The most important features of Map Maker are gradually being implemented into the Maps app. Recently editing existing road segments was added. I imagine the other necessary features like adding new roads will come along too. 

You should note that even in Map Maker changes still had to be reviewed unless you happened to be a region lead. Instead of region leads, updates are now peer reviewed by other Local Guides (via Check The Facts) and Googlers. One of the challenges with Map Maker was that it was not available everywhere and the review pool was very small and very busy. This new approach widens the initial pool to many many people.

I would suggest that you stick with Google Maps as the functionality should come.

Regards

Paul

Level 10

While we have the options to edit road segment and report missing road using the send feedback feature on the app, I must admit that it's no match to Google Map Maker's road editing capabilities. This is coming from a guy who spent hours adding kilometers of roads to Maps, correcting the alignment of the roads once the satellite imagery is updated, updating the road attributes (road priority, number of lanes, average speed, road surface, elevation, road condition, bicycle lane etc to name a few). Period

And, everyone who's suggesting My Maps to @s_cdas, is failing to see the valid concerns put forward by him. He is one among us who wants the Maps to be better for everyone. 

Let me list few shortcomings, in no particular order :

- The average turnaround time is high. 

- Where I come from, we've many interior roads which are obscured by trees and not visible in Satellite View. The way it is now, unless someone provides a GPS log file from mobile or a GPS device, I wonder how the Google Reviewers verify the existence of the road!  @GusMoreira, story time? 😉

(Back story : I used to rely on GPS logs from MyTracks app (a brilliant app by Google which was shut down few years back) as a reference to add them to Google Maps. And I remember sharing the links to pictures of the road and GPS log file using the GMM's comment section so that it's easier for the Google Reviewers to review my edit)

- There is no way to follow up an edit/report and provide additional information if necessary. Earlier, reviewers could ask for more information from the user.

- The road attributes can no longer be edited. 

Let's hope all the features from Google Map Maker makes it way to Google Maps soon. And I wouldn't be complaining if they introduce some new features! *wishful thinking*

🙂