LincolnHo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What is the 'Local Guides community'?

I'm applying for that Local Guides conference like everyone else here, but what exactly does this prerequisite mean?

- Each Local Guide must submit a post on Local Guides Connect with an introductory message and more insights into his or her experience with the program

The Local Guides Connect is quite new and to me it started right after Google decided to shut down the map communities. Does this count as a post? Because I'd love to actually learn how to use this at the actual conference. It's like the chicken and the egg. Is it too little too late to be scrambling to get my application in if there's no hope due to this prerequisite for application?

How do I use this? Is there a separate app outside Google Maps? How do I get alerts on my phone or email? 

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: What is the 'Local Guides community'?

@LincolnHo

hello,

A Local Guide Community is a platform where local guides are introduce him/her self. it is a place where local guides share their travel experiences, Photos, Ideas and many more.

when any local guide have any problem regarding google maps they can submit their questions and every local guide and google team will help them as soon as possible.

if you want to know About Local Guides visit here. 

hope it helps you.

Happy Mapping 🙂

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@LincolnHo

hello,

A Local Guide Community is a platform where local guides are introduce him/her self. it is a place where local guides share their travel experiences, Photos, Ideas and many more.

when any local guide have any problem regarding google maps they can submit their questions and every local guide and google team will help them as soon as possible.

if you want to know About Local Guides visit here. 

hope it helps you.

Happy Mapping 🙂

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 8

I thought more than one solution could be accepted. Not all my questions were answered. 😞

Googler

@LincolnHo You can unmark a solution you've accepted as the answer and I'm sure @iDepp would have been happy to answer more questions if you tagged them back into the conversation because Local Guides love sharing (Maps + Connect + everywhere, haha) but I'm happy to provide official answers.

First to answer your post subject "'What is the Local Guides community'

Answer: It's the global community/program known as Local Guides. Community is used a number of different ways but it's defined in the FAQs in this context "Consistent involvement with the Local Guides community such as being a supported community moderator, Connect moderator, meet-up host and active Connect contributor." So basically, it's being involved within Local Guides. 

I'm applying for that Local Guides conference like everyone else here, but what exactly does this prerequisite mean?

- Each Local Guide must submit a post on Local Guides Connect with an introductory message and more insights into his or her experience with the program

Answer: The introductory message you are referencing is included in our FAQs (in case others come across this and wonder where it's from) and we're asking Local Guides to include a link to a post on Connect that introduces themselves to the community and talks about why they are a part of the program or about their experience within the program. It can be whatever you want it to be. 

The Local Guides Connect is quite new and to me it started right after Google decided to shut down the map communities. Does this count as a post? Because I'd love to actually learn how to use this at the actual conference. It's like the chicken and the egg. Is it too little too late to be scrambling to get my application in if there's no hope due to this prerequisite for application?

Answer: This does indeed count as a post but for a post you include with your summit application, you may want to include more information about yourself to help the team reviewing applications get to know you a bit more as well as other Local Guides reading your post. This community was created to be a single, online community where Local Guides all around the world could connect with one another no matter where they are and no matter what language they speak. It's not too late to submit an application if you're just discovering Connect as applications are being reviewed on a number of criteria as defined in the FAQs

How do I use this? Is there a separate app outside Google Maps? How do I get alerts on my phone or email? 

Answer: LocalGuidesConnect.com is a standalone website and there is no app. Alerts are not sent from Connect, though you can set up your profile preferences to send you email alerts as well as subscribe to specific threads (like this one you started) to get email alerts by going to the top right corner of the thread and clicking on the three dots, navigating to "Subscribe:"

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.25.30 PM.png

As you're new to Connect, allow me to share some information you may find helpful in making your experience here on Connect much more enjoyable and easier to navigate, which I often share with others:

• This post includes tips on searching, posting and interacting with the community

• Google Translate is enabled across Connect, so please feel free to communicate in the language you feel most comfortable 

• Using the Forums contains a number of threads which you may find helpful for navigating Connect in general

• If you're looking for more information on how to contribute great content to Google Maps to make the most of your Local Guides experience, I recommend visiting About Local Guides

• My favorite board is Share Your Photos & Discoveries where you can share a photo or a place that's special to you in your local area or a spot you've discovered in your journeys

• When responding to someone, be sure to tag them (by writing @ before their name) in a post so they receive a notification that you are communicating to them

I hope this information has been helpful and I look forward to seeing more of your posts here on Connect! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

@TraciC @LincolnHo

if there any problem in my answer i apologize for that. 

Googler

@iDepp There was no problem at all with your answer, thank you for answering. I read the subsequent response as @LincolnHo wanting more information as well as answers to each question in his post which is why I added on more information. I happened to see it so I figured better to share more information to try to help out. @LincolnHo, please do let us know if we've helped or if you need more help. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

@TraciC

many thanks 🙂

now i will try to improve my answers 🙂