Amr_A's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

What to do when a Level 5 Local Guide's entire contributions are purely spam?

Hello Fellow Local Guides,

I've encountered multiple local guides accounts here in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia that are level 4 or 5 and SOLELY post spam content. And no, I am not talking about accounts that add contributions against policies in a good-will kinda of way. 

One of the accounts I've encountered uses a "special-op" profile pic that contain the text "another mission" which obviously mean online op and in this case "Spamming the Maps" (We're talking about pure vandalizing here). Other accounts add contributions of businesses against polices like Private Drivers and Car Tow trucks. I tried to reach these mysterious accounts on G+ with some luck finding some but no response.

The pictures are spam. The reviews are spam. I can only imagine that all the tow trucks and drivers additions are also added by them or similar accounts. I have reported these actions directly to email and by reporting pictures and only some of the pictures I reported went down. There is no way for me or anyone to report over 3k photos. 

Spam reduce the overall quality on the maps and question the integrity of many information provided though useful features like Working Hours. Spam becomes more dangerous when a spammer has a local guide badge from Google. My city is plagued with spam and I have no doubts that Local Guides team will not allow intentional vandalizing to take down the morals of new local guides.

I will not post these accounts here due to privacy concern but I am willing to provide links when requested to. However, please take a look:

Private driverPrivate drivertow cars that work privately. i.e NOT companies or shopstow cars that work privately. i.e NOT companies or shopsScreenshot_20170115-125111.pngSame pic posted in at least tens of placesSame pic posted in at least tens of placessame picsame picagainagaina pic of a hypermarket uploaded multiple timesa pic of a hypermarket uploaded multiple timesa pic of a restaurant uploaded multiple timesa pic of a restaurant uploaded multiple times

Thank you,

Jeddah, Makkah Province, Saudi Arabia
28 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: What do do when a Level 5 Local Guide's entire contributions are purely spam?

Hi @Amr_A. Thank you for not sharing the information publicly. I'll reach out to you privately with information on how to escalate to the team. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Re: What do do when a Level 5 Local Guide's entire contributions are purely spam?

Unfortunately there's no direct and easy way to flag LG spammers in the same way there is in MapMaker. However by tagging a Google Mod eg @Corrie they will hopefully reply and you can begin a process of reporting the spam accounts

Level 8

Hi @Amr_A,

Please mention one of our Google Moderator, they will contact you privately.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Using-the-Forums/Meet-the-Google-Moderators/td-p/88603

Thank you for respecting other people's privacy.

Level 9

@YK1001, Thank you!

@TraciC, I know you are extremely busy. I'll be glad if take a look at this post. Thank you in advance. 

Googler
Solution

Hi @Amr_A. Thank you for not sharing the information publicly. I'll reach out to you privately with information on how to escalate to the team. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

you did the right thing! thumbs up for you!

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Level 9

Experiencing the same here. What should I do

@TraciC wrote:

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 6

Spam is one of the most concerning issue of LG. It decline the overall quality of map and other hard working LG.

Not applicable

Hi @TraciC

I've also uncovered a spammer in my city. Seems the user has just been driving up and down the highway leaving ratings or something. Over 25,000 ratings left, never a written comment, and also recycling photos.

I'd be happy to leave the account information with a moderator!

Googler

Hi @DeanW. I'll send you a private message.