Chipshill's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Sponsored ad using MY store name

I occasionally type my own shop name into Google to see where it is listed, how the reviews are etc. Recently, an opposing store of the same nature has my business name in their sponsored ad title so they're getting more hits based on my shop. How is this allowed?

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Sponsored ad using MY store name

You can post your query over Google my business forum mate @Chipshill

Connect Moderator

@Chipshill business names unless they are a world wide trade mark such as Coca-Cola are generally only unique to their own locality. Governments are usually the holders of business name registries so if the business is in your same locality/precinct/city/state (however it works for you) then you could talk to them about your grievance. This isn't an issue that Google Maps control or have input to.

Regards

Paul

Level 2

Ah okay I'll go find the right place.

@mhjn wrote:

You can post your query over Google my business forum mate @Chipshill

I was linked here directly by Google on twitter so I just assumed I was in the right place. Cheers

Level 2

That's where I have the issue. My shop name contains my very local area name so people know I'm local, the website using the name in their ad are online only as far as I can see, and based over the other side of the country so are not related at all.

Again sorry if this is the wrong place, I was linked here by Google official account on Twitter

Connect Moderator

I'm surprised that they sent you here @Chipshill.

Have you claimed your business with Google My Business (GMB)? https://business.google.com you may be able to get some help through them.

If your business is officially registered with the name you may wish to engage a lawyer to discuss your local legal options with the other business.

Regards

Paul