SethS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Posting photos

How do I post a picture from my DSLR camera to google maps? I only know how to post photo spheres.

Westford, MA, United States
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Posting photos

Former Google Contributor

Hello @SethS.  Welcome to Local Guides and our Connect community forum. We are happy to have you here. Be sure to explore the many sections of the site and check out the conversations happening among our Local Guides. 

As @LucioV said, you will need to download your images from your camera. Then you can upload them right to the places you took them at on Google Maps. You can find the instructions for adding photos to Maps from your computer here

Bonus Tips for getting started here in the community:

This section of the site has some good tips on how to use the community and interact with your fellow Local Guides. 

• Search the community before posting as others may have asked your question (and received an answer) already. 
  • Use a descriptive title for your post to make it easier for people to know whether they should open it. 
  • Use the Location field to geotag your post to a specific place, but make sure its important to the content of the post.  
  • Don't share personal information on the forums, check out the private messaging option instead. 
  • This area has helpful information about the Local Guides program in case you have more questions. 

Level 10

Hi @SethS

Yes, you definitely have to download your photos to your computer first. 

Beside uploading directly to Google Maps, you can also upload your photos to Google Photos. Here you can make some basic editing like straightening and cropping your photos, color and light correction etc. 

Then add your photos to albums and when in the Map, select to add a photo to a place and you can browse your photo collection there. 

your-photos.png

There is also a handy tool that lets you upload to Google Photos easily in the background: 

https://photos.google.com/apps

Note that photos up to 2048 pixels on their larger sides will not count against your initial 15 Gb quota. The desktop uploader will allow you to set the size to upload and will automatically resize the images it uploads.