DomenicoP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Not my real name

Hi, Can I write a review using a nickname or , I can contribute to local guide program without show my real name to all people? I linked LG to my Gmail account but I don't like to live my name around " internet". 

9 comments
Level 2

Re: Not my real name

I get what you're saying, but I think using real names adds to the authenticity of the reviews. Total anonymity with screen names can make it too easy for typical internet trolling behavior, like on YouTube comments.

Level 10

As Clint has said, reviewing with Local Guides is all about real users leaving real reviews. It is a very good way to help stop fake reviews.

By having everyone use their own name, it also helps to ensure that reviews are respectful and truthful.

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Level 10

I agree with the gentlemen above about authenticity and trustworthiness. Also there's no (technical) way to "hide" behind a nick name so the question is a bit academic. All you could do is to create a fake Google Aaccount and start reviewing from that one but then of course, you could not claim your reviews and credits with your existing LG account.

Level 6

It also makes it very easy for people to create a profile on your habits. A little stalker security would be nice too.

There are other ways to reach the goals authenticity and troll prevention. 

Level 2

I think that the issue is crystal clear to me:

I will not contribute to the program any more if I cannot hide my real name. I own a business (with my real name on it) and I do not want other people to retaliate because of my negative reviews.

This "real name" policy encourages positive reviews, but I think that negative reviews are more valuable to the end user.

You can buy and sell on eBay without displaying your real name, you can review places on Tripadvisor without showing your full name, even I am hiding my real name now to write this message!

Google, you do not get reviews because people are concerned about privacy and safety!!

BAD MOVE, GOOGLE

Level 8

See you are contributing even hiding your name mate and it's not eBay or TripAdvisor it's Google map with such a great policies and rules different from others. @Prusiano

Level 6

That's exactly what I'm frustrated with. I'm searching this thread because a bad business I reviewed looked me up messaged me and can now review my businesses poorly even though they have never been. This is garbage

Level 2

Real name.

Hello.

Does anybody know how to use a nickname instead of real name, if I post pictures,  if I rate places etc on google maps?

I would post more, but I do not like if evefybody sees "aded by Real Name" on the pictures.

Thanks, guys.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Real name.

Hi @Monochrome and welcome to Connect!

In here you will find how you can edit your name account in Google.

Since you are new to the program, here are some tips on how to use Connect. You can start by going through Help Desk and Tips: Using Local Guides Connect. As it suggests there are plenty of ways to have fun and engage as a part of the community. You can share photos and experiences, give feedback, meet and connect with other local guides. Sounds exciting, right? You can start by sharing a bit about yourself on this month's Introduce yourself topic. If you have any questions, first search in the community as others may have asked your question (and received an answer) already.

Hope that this was helpful!

P.S.: Since this topic was already discussed here on Connect, please note that you post was merged with this thread.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!