Oscar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Multiple accounts, how to use only one?

Hi all,

I have three Google accounts on my phone and google maps is seemingly at random asking me to supply information about places i visited. I never know for which account it's linking to, unless I dismiss all the questions all together and open the maps menu. So my points and reviews are now floating around all over these three accounts and I also get asked the same questions about the same places at least three times. 

How do I set a single account to use with local guides? Does anyone know? 

Thanks in advance! 

36 comments
Level 5

Re: Multiple accounts, how to use only one?

Similar troubles with me; how to select one of the accounts as being the sole authorized for this task? 

Level 5

Does anyone have an answer for this? It is reallllly annoying! 

I tried joining local guides on my other account and then cancelling it... but the contribute part still comes up for that account. 

How do I turn it off?! I've actually stopped contributing because I don't want anything going on that other account. 

Level 7

Try these steps to see if it helps:

1. Go to any Google site (google.com, gmail.com, etc) in a non-private browser window (this is so that a cookie can bet set)
  2. Log out of any and all Google / Gmail accounts, this is done by clicking on your avatar icon in the upper right corner of a Google page and choosing “Sign Out” from the menu option
  3. Now go to Gmail.com, and log in with the account you want to set as the default or primary account – this is important, the first account you log into becomes the default when multiple sign ins are used
  4. Once you’re logged into the primary/default account, click on the avatar icon in the upper right corner of a Google page and choose “Add Account”
  5. Add the second, third, and any other Google accounts as necessary

Again, be sure to log in to what you want as the default / primary account first. Then, you can add new accounts that you want to be other options available in the accounts menu. Hope this helps!

Level 8

Hi @Oscar @TinaV @PaulZ,

What @IanLeslie mentioned will help.

However, when we have multiple accounts enabled in the same Browser / Mobile, ultimately, we have to be carefully check which account is being active for a specific action.

I find it helpful to:

1.  Have different profile picture for each account

2.  Define separate Brower profile for each Google Account

3.  Similarly, separate Mobile User profile for each Google Account

Personally, I find switching User profile in Mobile is too slow, thus I am relying on the Google Profile Picture more and more.

Level 5

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try asap but I'm rather overwelmed today and tomorrow.
In the mean time, please note:

1. In my case, this mixup is happening on my Android mobile but never on my Windows PC.
  2. I already had -and still have- the same mixup with G Maps: it's also annoying when you save a place and don't find it later, because it was saved on an other account...
  3. The first account that I setup is always, everywhere, my main private account, anyway. 
  4. In fact, I have 3 accounts on my mobile: my private one that should always be the only one used for Maps ou Local Guides and then two pro accounts only used for Emails. 
  5. It would be very comfortable to simply have a clear "Main/Default" setting in the accounts, like there is for Printers, where you can choose the default one. (A further option, useless in my case, being to be able to define the default account apps by apps (GMail, GPhoto...)

Thank you very much anyway for those progresses,
Cheers,
Paul

Level 6

It isn't currently possible to merge separate Google Accounts.

It isn't currently possible to merge separate Google Accounts. However, if you'd like to transfer your data from one account to another, this may be done on a per product basis. Or, to start using a new product, you don't have to create another Google Account. Just sign in with your existing Google Account, and visit this list of products to get started.

If you don't have Gmail, you can add it to your account at any time.

If you signed up for Gmail and didn't add it to your existing account, now you have two separate accounts.

Note: if you're adding a new Gmail address to your Google Account, you can't choose an existing Gmail username (even if you delete the other account with Gmail, you can't reuse the Gmail username.)

@Oscar wrote:

Hi all,

I have three Google accounts on my phone and google maps is seemingly at random asking me to supply information about places i visited. I never know for which account it's linking to, unless I dismiss all the questions all together and open the maps menu. So my points and reviews are now floating around all over these three accounts and I also get asked the same questions about the same places at least three times. 

How do I set a single account to use with local guides? Does anyone know? 

Thanks in advance! 

Level 6

Hi and thanks, Lani - this doesn't seem to work for me. I also have a few (four) Google accounts and although I logged out of all of them (on my phone - should I have done it on my computers as well?). I logged in again - I need all four synced to my phone. I was careful to start with my local guide one, the order is irrelevant for gmail. Google photos is the only part that actually lets me upload all photos to a single account - rest seems quite random - maps would like me to review a place using a different account - I did it a few days ago. I'm new to this, really - but what drives me crazy is the location history.

Do you or someone else know of a way to switch location history on for just one account on a phone? This way, with all four having it either on or off, activities get randomly assigned to various accounts, if not switched off for all. 

I hope I've been clear enough and will sincerely appreciate any help and advice. 

Level 5

The only thing that worked for me was going to admin.google.com and disable Google Maps service for all accounts I'm not using as Local Guide. 

Level 5

Oooohh, I'll give it a shot