MattM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

I was unaware that 1 TB drive storage was temporary :-(

I worked hard to upload good images and write good reviews.  Now I find that my 1 TB upgrade is temporary.  This is not clear in any of the guide information.  Yahoo gives you a TB for image storage, so I thought this was something similar.

I hear the new upgrade is only 100 gb.

Considering how rapidly the price of storage is falling, that the terms of the agreement are not clearly spelled out & that you have my reviews and images forever,  I find this a poor bargain indeed.  This is really disappointing and I feel your presentation is dishonest.

Edit: Wow, I guess I really am a sucker.  I don't get a TB, I get 100 gb.

8 comments
Googler

Re: I was unaware that 1 TB drive storage was temporary :-(

Hi @MattM. Thanks for taking the time to share the feedback. In the email you receive upon reaching Level 4, there is a note that says "This upgrade is active for 1 year at 100 GB of additional storage. For more information, please see the Local Guides Help Center." The Help Center provides further detail that after free storage expires, "Your files will stay saved in your Google Drive. If you don't have any more storage space, you won't be able to add more files unless you remove files or buy storage." I hope this information has been helpful. 

Regarding the change from 1 TB to 100GB, on July 7, we announced both via email in our monthly newsletter and here in Local Guides Connect that as our community of Local Guides continues to grow, we’ve made the decision to adjust our Level 4 benefit to 100GB of free Google Drive storage for one year. Local Guides who were signed up for the program prior to July 7 and reached Level 4 by July 21 still received the 1 TB offer.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 4

Yep. Like I said. I am the sucker. 😞

Great to know Google appreciates the people who help build it's brand!

Level 7

I still have to agree with @MattM.

As Local Guides, we bust our asses, because we love data. Many of us do thia, because we want to help our local community to become more visible online and some do it to help Google create a powerfull knowledge base.

And 100 gb in 1 year, seems like a bit of a joke...

Level 8

I partly agree with you guys.

It should not be just for 1 year, but for a long time (10 years?) or even lifetime.

But if it is for a long time, i think level 4 just could be 100 GB extra and maybe every level after that also 100GB extra.

That should be enough motivation i think 🙂

Level 6

If it is limited to just one year then I don't feel bad about missing the opportunity to get it. Limiting it to one year is more like a marketing trick. Businesses often provide services such as that with a time limit such as this because they know that during the amount of time provided we will become dependent on the service so then after the time period we are likely to pay for it. The time limit sure feels like that is what Google was trying to do.

Level 10

This is very annoying. I have been noticing that people with low level are upgrading their level by a night for the sake of getting this offer. I don't think that all places are well reviewed. Some people are putting their own image to get the point. About a google offer also, putting a time limit is the problem that those with good excess of internet or those who worked only for point were able to meet the deadline, and those who did their work slowly with proper attention are left behind. It is the condition that may be some tyro guides are awarded and some genuine guides are avoided. Proper guide is such a person who even don't cares about this 100 GB while doing his work.

Level 6

BishowvijayaP, I feel as if you are responding to me since you posted so soon after my post.

I don't understand what "upgrading their level by a night" means but I really resent any implication that I "worked only for point". I assume you meant "points" (plural). I also resent the implication that I did not "work slowly with proper attention". I do not know what "tyro guides" are. You should not say "Proper guide is such a person who even don't cares about this 100 GB while doing his work." because that implies it is wrong to claim whatever extras that Google offers. I resent the implication that you are the only good guide and everyone else is inferior.

Level 10

Hello @SamuelCalifornia, is it that someone posts after you means he is replying you? Do we had met before so that I could know what are you doing on map? Do we have a same workplace? I don't know how you concluded this. This is the place where all can express their thoughts based on their experience. If I had to say anything to you then there is a tagging facility as well. Also the post belongs to @MattM also and other are also discussing in the same topic. Of course, if you don't like my view you can deny. Everyone is good and everyone can have bad in them too. So don't take the things personally if you are not tagged in it. About claiming, google had made an offer and as promised it provided that facility also. Those with beyond time boundary are left out. I am one of them also. So what's wrong. But you are behaving like I am sending you a private message. So be cool & easy.