LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

How to load and connect photospheres on Maps: my Workflow with DSLR

Hi all

I will share with you my personal workflow for businesses loading.

1) Take DSLR shoots: i use a Nikon D300 with a Sigma 8mm fisheye, mounted on a Nodal Ninja R10 panoramic head (mounted on a Manfrotto ball head just for leveling)
2) I shoot at least 4 shoots, each at 90° (for HDR, in previous SV|T program we were required to take 12 shoots, +2, 0, -2 each position
3) I shoot in Raw
4) I use Adobe Lightroom to get the best from my shoots (opening shadows, reduce highlights, increase sharpness)
5) I use PTGUI to stitch the photos and obtain an equirectangular panoramic photo (i use standard parameters for PTGUI, only increase sharpness and, sometimes, adjust the exposure controls); sometimes, depending on the structure of the business, i need to add some control points to stitch
6) I use PTGUI to extract the six faces (left, right, rear, bottom, up, front) and i use Photoshop to edit nadir on bottom face (remove tripod, eventually add logo) (Tools->extract->6 separated faces->100% quality)
7) I use PTGUI to project the bottom face to the panorama equirectangular projection, the same size of the original pano
😎 I use Photoshop to add the projected bottom to the uncorrected equirectangular, i merge levels, the pano is ready
9) I repeat for all the panos of the business
10) I load all the panos to Street View editor in prestitched mode, as i'm an old SV|T photographer, otherwise i load the prestitched photos to Google Photos, in a new folder i call PANO|(businessname)|prestitched
11) I wait for the panos to be loaded
12) I open the SV app, i choose the yellow button on the right bottom corner, and i choose the Import sphericals photos option, then i choose the Google Photos source and i search for the uploaded photos
13) I open each single pano, and i long click on it to add blur for privacy reasons (faces, plates, personal details)
14) I choose a Google Map location for each pano (you can easily add the location to all the loaded panos selecting all after have selected one), then i choose Publish to maps
15) After the images have been published, you can long click on a single image to add a link to another image or you can select all and choose from the menu the option to link every image, the new link editor will open.

Screenshot_20161013-195716.png

I will write a to-do for the link editor.

10 comments
Level 8

Re: How to load and connect photospheres on Maps: my Workflow with DSLR

Hi @LucioV,

Thank you very much for sharing your business secret to us!

Looking forward for your next write up about the new Link Editor!

Level 10

Level 4

Good stuff! Thanks for your contribution as it will be helpful to my business. Can't wait to hear more about the link editor

Level 10

Level 10

Thanks @LucioV, That's really great and helpful guide by an expert

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 9

@LucioV I really enjoyed the article and to find a process to do 360 street views. I understand much better what is going on now.

I would love your opinion on To get started I have almost all gear and software to follow this work flow. My question is as a new person to 360 and I want to get experience with it.  Here is my situation would you recommend starting out with buying the  Samsung Gear 360 2017 and being ready to go almost right away. Or I can use my Nikon D7100 with 18-105mm lens get the Nodal Ninja R10 and PTGU  I would need to shoot more shots due to the lens and the do the edits in your work flow. 

Either selection I can afford. I would like towards being a trusted photographer if I can learn it and do well for small business, not high glamor projects

What would end quality difference you expect? 25% less with Samsung? or what range?

Average small business acceptance of Samsung vs Nikon end product?

Time variation to get a project completed has to be big?

Which has a bigger market demand Samsung end product vs Nikon end product?

Which do you think a person can make a greater profit doing?

I would love to hear your ideas on this as well as others!  Should this be a seperate post?

Level 10

@davidcox wrote:

@LucioV I really enjoyed the article and to find a process to do 360 street views. I understand much better what is going on now.

I would love your opinion on To get started I have almost all gear and software to follow this work flow. My question is as a new person to 360 and I want to get experience with it.  Here is my situation would you recommend starting out with buying the  Samsung Gear 360 2017 and being ready to go almost right away. Or I can use my Nikon D7100 with 18-105mm lens get the Nodal Ninja R10 and PTGU  I would need to shoot more shots due to the lens and the do the edits in your work flow. 

Either selection I can afford. I would like towards being a trusted photographer if I can learn it and do well for small business, not high glamor projects

What would end quality difference you expect? 25% less with Samsung? or what range?

Average small business acceptance of Samsung vs Nikon end product?

Time variation to get a project completed has to be big?

Which has a bigger market demand Samsung end product vs Nikon end product?

Which do you think a person can make a greater profit doing?

I would love to hear your ideas on this as well as others!  Should this be a seperate post?

Hi @davidcox, long question and topics, may require another thread!

Anyway i will try to answer at my best.

I suggest you to buy a fisheye+nodal ninja kit, you can find something used too! It will cost around 600 €, versus 400 € for an all in one camera.

With some practice, you will be able to shoot faster and stitch easily; you will have more control on your images (shoot in raw, develop, stitch, remove undesired objects, correct nadir) and you will be paid more.

Businesses are often not aware of differencies in shooting, but will appreciate more quality; i still offer the very-low budget option, but only for near and easy places.

Please, explain better the last threee questions!

Level 9

Thank you, i will get going and practicing.  You hit the spot with the information and then the comment about being paid more for better pictures. That really is what was behind my questions. Now I have a selected direction. Thanks for the guidance.  For the very-low budget option do you use different equipment or less time in post production?

Level 10

@davidcox wrote:

Thank you, i will get going and practicing.  You hit the spot with the information and then the comment about being paid more for better pictures. That really is what was behind my questions. Now I have a selected direction. Thanks for the guidance.  For the very-low budget option do you use different equipment or less time in post production?

For little vt (ie around 5 pano) i directly upload from my Ricoh Theta S to the business placepage and, then, i connect live, so the result is delivered in an hour and the customer could pay at a glance.

Sometimes i postprocess the Theta shoots with Lightroom, then i upload to gothru for better control on moderation process, and when i have more than 5 pano to connect.