anniemac's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

How to give a mixed review without damaging the business

I live in a small town and there is a restaurant that offers breakfasts and lunches using fresh ingredients, homemade breads and unique sandwiches, salads and deserts. The problem is with the staff, who aren't professional, and the service which is sketchy. For example, I was eating breakfast with a sister I hadn't seen or talked to for 3 years, so it was important that our experience there supported this moment. The waitress stood over us and talked about how hard she worked! The bacon was under cooked and when I called her over to ask that it be cooked further, she argued. The bacon came back overcooked. She left our empty plates in front of us for quite a while so my sister moved them to the next table over. Still, she didn't notice we were finished for another long bit. The cafe is small and there were not that many patrons there. I have not gone back since. I wish to encourage this place as it's the only one of its kind in town, which is somewhat economically depressed. Any advice on how to write a review that is truthful but not crushing?

Your Spirit, Your Place, North Main Street, Cheboygan, MI, United States
21 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 5
Solution

Re: How to give a mixed review without damaging the business

The key to writing a good restaurant review: award the restaurant for what they do correct! This does not mean ignore the restaurant's flaws, but at least provide some light to any negative situation (if there is any positive aspect).

I ordered the eggs — they're fresh, locally produced — but they were served cold. The waitress offered to take them back to the kitchen and prepare a fresh dish.

In this example above, it's all fact based, and it highlights the positive and negative qualities of the experience. The cold eggs are a negative aspect of this restaurant, but it's followed by a positive consequence. The language is straight-forward and describes the situation simply. Don't use unnecessary adjectives. If the eggs were soggy or gross or horrid, and it actually merits the use of those adjectives: use them. But if the eggs were just cold, call them cold. It keeps integrity to your review, and doesn't eternally punish the restaurant for its mistake. 

Based on your description of your experience, you present the situation in a very simple, straight-forward manner — perfect for a restaurant review. I recommend transferring most of what you just wrote into an actual review, but, also, include some of the positive experiences at the restaurant.

View solution in original post

Level 6

I would start by talking about the positives and why you think the business should be supported. Mention the bad and then asses whether this was just a one-time thing or a repeating theme amongst multiple visits. Lastly if it's a place I were not to go back to again I'd state why and if I still had an urge to go again after some time has passed in hopes of improvements in the service. 

Level 3

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in a small town and there is a restaurant that offers breakfasts and lunches using fresh ingredients, homemade breads and unique sandwiches, salads and deserts. The problem is with the staff, who aren't professional, and the service which is sketchy. For example, I was eating breakfast with a sister I hadn't seen or talked to for 3 years, so it was important that our experience there supported this moment. The waitress stood over us and talked about how hard she worked! The bacon was under cooked and when I called her over to ask that it be cooked further, she argued. The bacon came back overcooked. She left our empty plates in front of us for quite a while so my sister moved them to the next table over. Still, she didn't notice we were finished for another long bit. The cafe is small and there were not that many patrons there. I have not gone back since. I wish to encourage this place as it's the only one of its kind in town, which is somewhat economically depressed. Any advice on how to write a review that is truthful but not crushing?

Anne, I would reach out to the manager or business owner. Coming from a leadership background, I can assure you that they would be very much interested in getting this feedback. For a business to open a "new" style eatery in a small town means that they stand behind their principles and would appreciate honest, thoughtful information. Stated in factual, bullet point format your feedback should be appreciated. They want to be successful with their new venture, and they may be wondering why their sales aren't growing or why they're not seeing repeat customers. In the off chance that they're not receptive at least you'll officially know never to set foot in or recommend their establishment to anyone else. Good customer service can make or break any business.

~Tee

Level 4

Reviews should be honest otherwise they are no good to anyone.

You could start with the good points (surely there must be some), if there is none then so be it...  

But speaking to the person or their management is how you can change things, you can always update the review later if improvements are noticed.

Level 5
Solution

The key to writing a good restaurant review: award the restaurant for what they do correct! This does not mean ignore the restaurant's flaws, but at least provide some light to any negative situation (if there is any positive aspect).

I ordered the eggs — they're fresh, locally produced — but they were served cold. The waitress offered to take them back to the kitchen and prepare a fresh dish.

In this example above, it's all fact based, and it highlights the positive and negative qualities of the experience. The cold eggs are a negative aspect of this restaurant, but it's followed by a positive consequence. The language is straight-forward and describes the situation simply. Don't use unnecessary adjectives. If the eggs were soggy or gross or horrid, and it actually merits the use of those adjectives: use them. But if the eggs were just cold, call them cold. It keeps integrity to your review, and doesn't eternally punish the restaurant for its mistake. 

Based on your description of your experience, you present the situation in a very simple, straight-forward manner — perfect for a restaurant review. I recommend transferring most of what you just wrote into an actual review, but, also, include some of the positive experiences at the restaurant.

Level 2

Thank you for this response. I have had the same issue recently and you have made tackling it much easier for a newbie!😀

Level 5

@DAngeloC wrote:

I would start by talking about the positives and why you think the business should be supported. Mention the bad and then asses whether this was just a one-time thing or a repeating theme amongst multiple visits. Lastly if it's a place I were not to go back to again I'd state why and if I still had an urge to go again after some time has passed in hopes of improvements in the service.

Thank you for emphasizing the importance of focusing on the positive benefits the cafe offers to the community. That's a very important point. The cafe is

one of a kind and the town needs to keep it. Mentioning that in my review may help support the owner and she may take the criticisms a bit better.

Level 5

@WebbT wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Anne, I would reach out to the manager or business owner. Coming from a leadership background, I can assure you that they would be very much interested in getting this feedback. For a business to open a "new" style eatery in a small town means that they stand behind their principles and would appreciate honest, thoughtful information. Stated in factual, bullet point format your feedback should be appreciated. They want to be successful with their new venture, and they may be wondering why their sales aren't growing or why they're not seeing repeat customers. In the off chance that they're not receptive at least you'll officially know never to set foot in or recommend their establishment to anyone else. Good customer service can make or break any business.

~Tee

Thank you, Tee. It must have taken courage on the owner's part to start this cafe here and to keep it going, at least during the summer. I have a question: do I contact her privately with my feedback or through the review itself?

Level 9

Good question, and one I'm sure most reviewers struggle with.
On one hand, you're not out to bash restaurants for being anything but perfect, but on the other, if you don't have many positive things to say it's hard to do so!
I think the accepted solution answers it well though. To add to it, I always try to think of what brought me to this place in the first place. Was it the decor? Was it a friend's recommendation? If so, see if you can draw on that to take away and share some positive notes.

In your case, I think you had a bad experience, you tried to work it out with the staff, and overall it didn't end up a good experience. By all means I think your review is warranted. See if there's something that would grant this place 2 stars instead of one if that's what you were inclined to leave.

Level 2
Level 2

Goodmorning, you must be honest with your self. She was RUDE to you and your sister. She was not nice at all. She didn't care. So it okay to write a Bad Reviews and experience you both had. Maybe the business Owner will change something with your review. Just be honest