ChrisAlbertson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

How to enter signage data to map database

I notice google Maps routes quite a lot of traffic straight through an intersection that has a sign reading "Left or Right Turn ONLY".  People drive straight and every morning there is a police officer on foot who points to them to line up at the curb and wait for a ticket. He gets dozens of violations.   The signs are really big and obvious and there are multiple signs on both sides of the road.   These are all people who don't live in the ares that are following ne of the GPS based car navigation apps.

How can we enter signage data like this so that Google will not route cars there?     I know I could "fake it" by making one block after the sign one way but that is not accurate.

Next, what if the sign as a time limit like "No Left Turn 3:00pm to 6:00pm"    

YES,  I do know what a driver should do. The need to notice the sign themselves and ask the app to reroute.   But apparently this is not happening, as I said dozens of tickets 

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to enter signage data to map database

Hi @ChrisAlbertson welcome to Local Guides Connect. Firstly drivers are responsible to follow local laws when navigating so if they get a fine its their own fault.

You can actually fix the issue though as it will help with more efficient routing. Go to the place in Maps and select Send Feedback, Report Other Problem then describe the issue and include map screen shot.

maps routing update.JPG

Note this is desktop, the mobile experience is similar.

Regards

Paul

Level 1

How does the map engine work?  Or, what I means is what kind of data can it store and what can the router use?  Does the router look at time of day restrictions?    I don't want to bother entering data that can't be used.

For example many streets say "Gross Weight over 12,000 pounds prohibited" but I know the drivers have no place to enter the size of their vehicle so I'm betting the router does not consider vehicle weight

What about time of day?  Signs lie "no left turn 7:00am to 9:00am"  

Yes I know drivers need to read, but it is a waste of time if the router leads you to a place you can't go then you have to backtrack.    Many drivers are confused by the seemingly contradictory directly, there GPS nav app saying "turn left" and the sign that says no.    I know of a place where a dozen tickets are issued because of this.

Level 10

@ChrisAlbertson wrote:

How does the map engine work?  Or, what I means is what kind of data can it store and what can the router use?  Does the router look at time of day restrictions?    I don't want to bother entering data that can't be used.

I do not believe there is time of day restrictions in the maps engine. I know prior to the closure of Map Maker in March, that was a frequent feature request, but never added that I'm aware of.

For example many streets say "Gross Weight over 12,000 pounds prohibited" but I know the drivers have no place to enter the size of their vehicle so I'm betting the router does not consider vehicle weight

Google Maps was never intended to be used for commercial vehicle routing, so as far as I'm aware, there is no weight limit or "Truck Route" parameters in the engine.

Yes I know drivers need to read, but it is a waste of time if the router leads you to a place you can't go then you have to backtrack.    Many drivers are confused by the seemingly contradictory directly, there GPS nav app saying "turn left" and the sign that says no.    I know of a place where a dozen tickets are issued because of this.

Turn restrictions can be reported, if they are full-time, although instead of using @PaulPavlinovich's method, I would highlight all of the road segments leading to the intersection by way of the "Send Feedback" -> "Edit the Map" function, but leave the check boxes unmarked and add detailed information under "Other". This will make sure that your feedback gets to those who can make the appropriate edits at Google.

Hope this helps.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Connect Moderator

Good tip @MWJones I wasn't sure that was public yet (the editing of road segments). 

There are providers with supplementary data sets that sit over the top of the Google Maps routing data that do commercial routing @ChrisAlbertson it is something that I wished really was there in the everyday product. I would like to know about bridge limits, road limits and height restrictions. Car park height restrictions would be good to know too. I often tow my caravan which needs a bit of clearance and I sometimes drive bigger vehicles. It sucks when you get to a bridge that you can't go under because you're too high or too heavy to go over. Then you have to hold everyone up doing the 1000 point turn to get out of there.

Regards

Paul