LuisRG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

How to create My Maps with beautiful custom icons

To help Local Guides explore their own cities and beyond, we’ve created 48 Hours in… My Maps that highlight places in cities that Local Guides recommend on Google Maps. These My Maps have become so popular that many of you have created your own My Maps for the cities you know and love and we want to help you to create beautiful My Maps, too. — and there are more to come!—.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 2.06.09 PM.png

Starting with the Best of Barcelona My Map the Local Guides team created in January 2016 for the Mobile World Congress, we shared a link to the My Maps icons in our newsletter. For your mapping pleasure, we present to you the My Maps icons.

So, how do you create a My Map? Easy. Follow this step-by-step process:

• Visit My Maps on your computer or with the Google Maps app on your Android phone
  • Click on “Create a new map” or on the + symbol to start with an empty map
  • Add a title and a description to your newly created map.
  • Change the name of your only layer (that currently has no title)
  • Add up to 10 layers in total to distribute your places as you see fit
  • Start looking for places and add them to the map by clicking on “+ Add to map”

As a reference, for our 48 Hours in… My Maps we used these layers: Dining out, Cafes & Bakeries, Nightlife, Accommodation, Tourist spots, Arts & Cultures and Shopping, to give every visitor to these cities a glimpse on what’s best in the city to enjoy it for 48 hours (or more!).

How to personalise your places on the map

Once you have added a place to your My Map, you’ll see a blue pin, but there’s much more that you can do. See the three options we’ve marked in the screenshot below? With the bucket icon (first one on the left) you can change the style of the icon, with the pencil icon you can change the name and add a brief description of the place and with the camera icon, you can add a photo of that place, although if you don’t add one, My Maps will show you one from that place’s Google Maps listing.

mymaps.png

Let’s focus on how to add those beautiful icons.Click on the bucket icon to change the icon style and you’ll see a popup that lets you select the icon colour and the icon itself. But in this case, we are going for something different. So click on “more icons” in that popup. You’ll see something like the following screenshot, where you’ll find a lot of different shapes and categories for icons. In most cases, these are more than enough to create beautiful and useful My Maps.

customicon.png

If you want to add an icon not listed there or you want to personalise your map, click on “Custom icon” and in the next screen, select the icon from your computer (or drag and drop it), and you are all set. In the example, I added the suitcase icon, as you can see. After clicking “ok”, the place you just saved in your My Maps will have this new icon.

suitcaseicon.png

And once you have added an icon for the first time, you don’t have to re-upload it again for other places that share the same icon. But if you start a new My Maps, then you’ll have to follow the same process as listed here.

As a tip, try not to use too many different icons. Maybe one or sometimes two per layer is enough. As an example taken from our own 48 Hours in… My Maps, we’ve used one for all restaurants, two different ones for cafes & bakeries (depending on the specialization of the place, whether it’s coffee or cakes), two different ones for nightlife (depending on the type of venue, whether is a general one or a live music place), one for accommodation, two for tourist spots (one for general spots and another one for parks), one for arts & culture places and one or two for shopping.

So if you have already created a My Map of your area, you can change your icons or maybe you want to create a new My Map using this beautiful icon set.

Whatever’s the case, please create a post in the “Travel and Advice” board with your My Maps, so we can all benefit from them!

Official 48 Hours in… My Maps created by Google Local Guides

48 hours in...My Maps created by Local Guides community members

Other My Maps created by Local Guides

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
99 comments

Re: How to create My Maps with beautiful custom icons

@TomohiroT - you may be interested in this! 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

Thanks, @LuisRG! I have been playing around custom maps (and also stuff on GE which is very related). Nice and concise summary!

Level 9
Level 9

@LuisRG Excellent demonstration of what My Maps can do. This could also be a great way to show Local Guides that not everything belongs on the base map - a custom map can often serve purposes for features which would otherwise be unmappable. Could you include a few features not on the base map for your next 48 Hours?

Thanks for your input @Pea. Unfortunately, the next My Maps are already done but let's see what the community makes out of this 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

Creo que esto te interesará @FaridTDF, que preguntaste hace tiempo por los iconos para los My Maps 🙂

@FeliN I remember you asked about the custom icons we use in our My Maps, right? Here you have them 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hola @LuisRG, gracias, si ya estaba trabajando en eso, por dos lados diferentes uno  CesarP me pasó el pac de iconos que se utiliza y por otro, directamente tome uno de los mapas que ya existía, lo copie, y comencé a trabajar sobre el, eliminando los sitios anteriores y cargando los nuevos, como ya tenía la plantilla de iconos y capas, solo es eliminar los antiguos y agregar los nuevos en las distintas capas, pronto estara listo el de Ushuaia, y lo podré compartir por aquí. Con respecto al logo central, como no lo encuentro por ningún lado lo tome de uno de los que existía y elimine la foto de fondo, creando una nueva, con la que yo deseo, en esta parte tengo una duda, ya que el logo central utiliza el globo, que es de Google, pero como vi que otros lo utilizaron y no lo objetaron, estoy utilizando ese, muchas gracias Luis.

Level 8

This is great and Good Idea ..

Level 10

Thanks for sharing the mymaps asset file @LuisRG! I usually design my own icons for maps, but this could be very useful as reference! I will share this HowTo in my communities!

Thanks a lot!