TimothyJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

How to Earn Local Guide Points

I am a newly crowned level 3 local guide. I love being a part of the Google community as well as contributing to other users. I am very proud to be a Local guide. I want to acheive better rankings. So far i have only be gaining points by providing reviews and answering questions. I have once added pictures which had a good response. 

I am not earning points very quickly though a do a lot of work for not many return in the way of points. 

Can anyone please give me an indication of the points you receive for each? eg Reviews, Pictures, questions?

Are there any other ways to earn points and how can i do this?

Thanks 

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to Earn Local Guide Points

@TimothyJ Hi

Welcome to Local Guides Connect Forum and Thanks for your Posting on Connect....

There are 5 Different way to earn points as a Local Guides...

1. Rate & Review = 1Point

2. Add Photos = 1Point

3. Answer Question = 1Point 

4. Add a Missing place =1Point

5. Suggest an edits =1Point

U can earn points By thes way.... 

For more explain read these Topics.. 

1. This help post Help u to learn about all Contribution how to do... https://support.google.com/local-guides/answer/2519605?hl=en&ref_topic=6224587

2. Learn how to earn Local Guides points five different ways

Former Google Contributor

Congrats on reaching level 3, @TimothyJ and thank you for making Google Maps better for everyone!

Here's some information about the awarding of points:

Each type of contribution is worth 1 point, with a maximum of 5 points per place. For example:

• Upload 1 or more photos to the same place = 1 point
  • Upload 2 photos + 1 review to the same place = 2 points
  • Write 5 reviews of 5 different places = 5 points
  • Answer 1 or more local questions about the same place = 1 point
  • Make 1 or more edits to the same place = 1 point
  • Add a new place = 1 point

About Local Guides is a super helpful section that I recommend checking out. There you'll find several threads that will guide you on the best ways to contribute to Google Maps.  

Meanwhile, I am moving your post to "How do I... ?". 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

@ShafiulB you beat me to this! 🙂 We were probably writing our replies at the same time. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 3

Yeh excellent responses guys . Thanks 

So basically 1 point per action. 

I would suggest that Google look to overhaul the scoring system based on the information they need the most for each spacific location. For example. If a location has 90 reviews and a lot of questions have been answered but no photos submitted Why doesnt google then rate the scoring as follows. 

review 1 point 

questions 1 point 

Photo 5 points

This way it will give people more reason to contribute as well as content needed but lacking. 

Food for thought. 

An alternative might be for the first reviews questions etc at each location add 2 bonus points to the first guide for getting things kicked off. 

Anther scale could be a bonus points pack for people who answer 5 questions add a review and add 2 photos. + 6 points. 

Would love to hear what peoples thoughts are on my idea? I would love even more so for this to be implemented as it is my dream to work for google as head of local guides world wide. 

I know i could be giving away good ideas a little bit early but there is plenty more like them in my mind. 

Connect Moderator

@TimothyJ hi

The Local guides program point rule is that which our moderator @JeslynL replay....

This is for all ...

This is not interesting that 1 photo = 5 points, that is the matter that we all do something for make a better mapping world by Local guiding .

Thanks 

Happy guiding...

Level 3

Sorry mate, @ShafiulB

I think you might have missed my point. I am not asking for 5 points for 1 photo

I am simply making a suggestion of different ways of doing things. I would love to hear everyone's feedback on the idea. I would love to hear what @JeslynL thinks. 

My advise is that you re read what i am saying because i haven't asked for 5 points for 1 photo. 

Please review and comment again. 

Hi @TimothyJ, thanks for taking time to share such your feedback in such details.

I like your intention of encouraging contribution where it is lacking, and that of having bonus points for new Local Guides. Very constructive feedback indeed. 🙂

Yes, currently it is "1 point per action" as you have put it and as I have explained in the breakdown for you in my previous reply, but the Local Guides program is constantly evolving based on users' feedback. 

I recommend to log your feedback in Feedback and Feature Requests, where more community members can find your post and weigh in on your suggestions.