Wazbat's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How do I report a user who is using multiple accounts.

I've discovered some kind of mystery here where someone is using tons of accounts to both destroy one business while supporting another.

Is it allowed to disclose the user publicly? I won't for now until I know.

He seems to be using a load of accounts for this, hell post a very high score review of a boiler company on a construction listing, and rate it as helpful with many other accounts. These reviews are copy and pasted. At the same time, he's uploading edited KFC logos with a terrorist face to "kdc project" listings and suggesting to rename them to "KFC project" (this is how I saw this, with the suggestion to rename)

Hes also using the same other accounts (I believe) to upload irrelevant meme images and general unrelated rubbish.

How do I go about reporting this properly? There's listings appearing on Google maps with his boiler name with promotions in the title, and loads more. A simple review flag doesn't cover everything that's being done.

Cheers guys

United Kingdom
6 comments
Level 7

Re: How do I report a user who is using multiple accounts.

WutWut

like this

Level 9
Level 9

In MapMaker there's a very simple process in such cases, every profile has a link to 'Report user as spammer', unfortunately the Local Guides program doesn't have such a feature, though it really should.

Although all user IDs are public you were probably right not to disclose it here as it would have been redacted by a moderator - I assume the thinking is, innocent until proven guilty. Though when the spamming is as blatant as you describe it's a bit naive to think they might be innocent.

Any individual image or review can be flagged, but you probably already knew that and rightly wanted direct action to kill the problem at source before it goes any further. Probably the best thing is to tag some Mods @TraciC @Corrie and hope for a helpful response 

Level 7

Cheers man. Let's hope for a reply.

I'm not sure if it's one person, or a group doing it. But it's all the same listings.

One even has local guide status due to uploading duplicate images to lots of business aswell as spam images 

Level 9
Level 9

@RICHARDRICKENSONRICHEN MARC wrote:

One even has local guide status

Sadly it's not difficult for a spammer to get LG status. A while back I came across a guy who was a level 5 LG solely based on hundreds of spammy photos - so not only was he damaging the map, he was given 1TB of free storage as a thank you! (All his photos were subsequently deleted but whether he kept the storage we'll never know)

Level 7

Bump

Former Google Contributor

@Wazbat @Pea

Thank you for your vigilance in identifying spammers or malicious Local Guides as well as your consideration in not sharing the information publicly. We conduct our investigation internally and take the appropriate action whenever questionable activities are discovered. Please send a link to the profile/content in question to local-guidesATgoogleDOTcom and we will investigate. 

Thank you!!