DavidMcMahon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Help with Fact Checking for Business Names

Need help on checking facts using Google Map.

I was doing fact checking on the local business around me, I got a questions I not sure if I have answer correctly. It was for a national mobile phone company that has 100s of stores across Australia. 

Locally I would call this business "X <Location>" (ie "Yes Optus Southport") but their legal name is X (ie "Yes Optus").

Fact Checking on Google Map is asking me if the name is correct. It look like this

download (20).png

Should  I answer

A) Yes because I know the legal name to be "Yes Optus"

B) No because the local people like me would call it "Yes Optus Southport"

Any feedback would be awesome?

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: Help with Fact Checking for Business Names

@DavidM wrote:

Locally I would call this business "X <Location>" (ie "Yes Optus Southport") but their legal name is X (ie "Yes Optus").

The location should never be in the name field, chain stores should have the same name everywhere. The legal name is not really of interest to Google, the map reflects the name users know it by

For example, Starbucks should be as such everywhere, not Starbucks Coffee or STARBUCKS CORP or Starbucks Southport 

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hii @DavidMcMahon

As your choice

But please check before choosing  it's Category  is it a "Outlet Store" or a "Mobile Phone Shop"

If it is a Outlet Store choose "Yes Optus" ✓

If it is a Mobile Phone Shop choose "Yes Optus Southport"✓

This is my opinion.

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

@DavidM wrote:

The location should never be in the name field, chain stores should have the same name everywhere. The legal name is not really of interest to Google, the map reflects the name users know it by

For example, Starbucks should be as such everywhere, not Starbucks Coffee or STARBUCKS CORP or Starbucks Southport 

Level 9
Level 9

@UmaShankarB wrote:

This is my opinion.

@Umashankar this information is wrong, please be careful offering advice. If you're not sure please leave a question for someone else. 

Level 10

@Pea wrote:

Exactly. Although this help center article is about Google My Business, the naming guidelines apply here as well: 

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

(Please, scroll down to the name part and click on the "Learn more" accordion)

Level 10

@Umashankar Thanks for the observation.

@DavidMcMahon

@Pea

@UmaShankarB wrote:

Hii @DavidMcMahon

As your choice

But please check before choosing  it's Category  is it a "Outlet Store" or a "Mobile Phone Shop"

If it is a Outlet Store choose "Yes Optus" ✓

This is my opinion.

Level 7

sir

my business   .....best opsen

Level 8

@Pea

I am definitely obey your advise

Your Kind Words always motivated me.

Thanks for your advise.

Level 7

Thanks very much for this info, @Pea 

I am faced with a similar situation where I live, coincidentally also named Southport, but a full days airline flight east of the one in Queensland.  A business with the name Martin Self Storage is adding a slash and a short slogan to the GMaps place names of several of their facilities.

Since these places are controlled by a Google My Business account, I figured that trying to edit them directly was a waste of time and will just hurt my trust score, so I posted in the Spam & Policy forum of the GMB site:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Spam-Policy/Slogan-added-to-business-names/td-p/1129458

Level 7

@Csaba, Thanks to you also for the info provided here.  It made me think to use the Google My Business website to get input or even action taken to remove the slogans on some business names in my area.