dogblues's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Fake review

I am a small business owner who has been at my current location for over 25 years and have received a fake review regarding my business.  Nothing written just a 1 star rating.   How do I get this removed?  Somehow it doesn't seem quite right that anyone can sign up as a "Local Guide" and post something absolutely false.  This can potentially hurt my business.  Hopefully someone can let me know how to get this removed and report the Local Guide to Google for appropriate action.

Colorado, United States
56 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Fake review

Hi @dogblues, I absolutely agree with @LucioV. Once you have responded to this review in a positive way, another good idea is to encourage all your happy customers to write nice reviews for you. Your potential customers will see that many more customers are extremely happy with your services.  Also, often a negative review (responded to well), can be more valued than a positive review because it feels really authentic.  Potential customers will see that you really care about your customers when you are genuinely concerned.

View solution in original post

Level 2

I think that people has their own rights to comment, what they do like or do not like about in a particular restaurant, or people. or they might not been happy how the staff serve them, it really depends.. If you want to remove it, why not find that someone who put a bad comment in your business, and give him/her a survey, or talked to him or her what was the problem during his or her stay. The reason why there is reviews, it is not that people want to put your business down, sometimes, they can help for finding a nice place, or delicious meal that it is cheap, etc. It can also give other people a warning that do not go to this establishments as you experience this or not.. A person has a good reviews for sure they will recommend it to their closest friends and families. I hope that you will not misunderstand why i am posting here. If there is a fake review, then i guess that you would directly to talk to that someone ask why is he or she faking it. Post comments or suggestions is not a criminal charge. 

Level 10

Hi @dogblues if you think that the review is against Review rules, you can flag it as inappropriate; follow this KB: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4596773?hl=en

You can't ask directly Google to remove it, and as doesn't contain a description, is hard to prove that is against the rules.

I know this can be frustrating, but it's really common.

If you have claimed your business, you can (i suggest to) reply in a polite way, asking what you could improve in your service(s).

Cheers.

Level 1

Thank you for your response to my concerns.  I would be happy to contact the person who posted the fake review if I knew who they were.  This is the part that is frustrating.  This was posted by someone whom I don't know.  We do follow ups with all our clients to make sure they are satisfied with our services.  Probably why we've been in business for over 25 years.  Again, thanks for your input.  

Level 5

@dogblues wrote:

I am a small business owner who has been at my current location for over 25 years and have received a fake review regarding my business.  Nothing written just a 1 star rating.   How do I get this removed?  Somehow it doesn't seem quite right that anyone can sign up as a "Local Guide" and post something absolutely false.  This can potentially hurt my business.  Hopefully someone can let me know how to get this removed and report the Local Guide to Google for appropriate action.

@dogblues wrote:

I am a small business owner who has been at my current location for over 25 years and have received a fake review regarding my business. 

@dogblues wrote:

Level 8
Solution

Hi @dogblues, I absolutely agree with @LucioV. Once you have responded to this review in a positive way, another good idea is to encourage all your happy customers to write nice reviews for you. Your potential customers will see that many more customers are extremely happy with your services.  Also, often a negative review (responded to well), can be more valued than a positive review because it feels really authentic.  Potential customers will see that you really care about your customers when you are genuinely concerned.

Level 9
Level 9

@dogblues wrote:

a fake review regarding my business.  Nothing written just a 1 star rating.   How do I get this removed?  

If there's nothing written how do you know it's a fake review, they're de facto not saying anything dishonest, it may be their honest opinion? Frustrating as it may be for you as the business owner, that's the nature of review systems, some people will score high, some low and Google will be very unlikely to remove it.

Either way, since you are the owner you should really Claim your listing and ask your question here https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB 

Level 10

@dogblues wrote:

Thank you for your response to my concerns.  I would be happy to contact the person who posted the fake review if I knew who they were.  This is the part that is frustrating.  This was posted by someone whom I don't know.  We do follow ups with all our clients to make sure they are satisfied with our services.  Probably why we've been in business for over 25 years.  Again, thanks for your input.  

Was nice to help you 😉

If you are going to follow the good @BlancheMc suggestion, please remember not to ask your customers to leave a review while they are near or inside, to avoid automatical rejection (same wifi, same mobile cell, etc.).

Level 1

Hi BancheM,  Thanks for your input.  Very good advice.  I am trying to find a link or space to respond to the person who left the review but an unable to do so.  In my opinion, your approach is genius.  Again, thank you.  

Level 8

Awww Thanks @dogblues. To respond to the review, You will need to go into your Maps listing and click on "own this business?" to claim your listing.  Google will usually post you a postcard (in the mail) to verify your address and then you will be able to log in and respond to the review. I hope this helps.