MihaiD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Embed content from Local Guides to my site

I am starting a new niche website that will recommend certain places, events and so on. I would love to be able to list places information from Local Guides and not needing to duplicate the work.

I am running on wordpress and have moderate coding skills. Is there a plugin that could generate new posts based on places info?

Romania
3 comments
Level 8

Re: Embed content from Local Guides to my site

@MihaiD this is probably not advisable as the content is about and for "Local Guides Connect." Some areas are restricted to Local Guides at specific levels. No logos, branding marks, nor other materials can have Google/Local Guides affixed or posted with your content. 

Hopefully this has helped. 

Level 10

Hi @MihaiD

Beside possible copyright issues (which I do not want to go into now), you cannot embed content from LGC as it is disabled in the site's .htaccess file. Have a look at the http status headers below: 

GET
Request Headers
Accept
Accept-Encoding
Accept-Language
Cookie
Referer
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests
User-Agent
Response Headers
Cache-Control
Connection
Content-Encoding
Content-Length
Content-Type
Date
Expires
Pragma
Server
Set-Cookie
Vary
X-Frame-Options

The very last line; "X-Frame-Options" shows that content from LGC can only be embedded by localduidesconnect.com itself. 

Beside embedding however, nothing (neither copyright nor technical issues) may prevent you from referring (linking) to relevant topics or posts. Have fun with Wordpress, indeed it can be easy enough for a non-coder and flexible enough for a programmer.

Level 8

Hi @MihaiD,

It is not totally clear to me what content you actually mean related to "places".

Example:

If you have an article in let's say the Photos and Discovery section, that relates to the content of your own website and if you would like to auto-publish or manually select and publish contributions to this specific Forum Thread on LG Connect on your own site, the set-up with Word Press is in fact very easy. All you need to do is look for a plugin that uses RSS/XML feeds and use the RSS subscribe link in the menu of that thread.

When we are talking about the Google My Maps of 48 hours in a certain city, I do believe you are able to embed the My-Maps in your website.

Unfortunately if we are talking about sharing lists of places in Maps, the only way to share those at the moment is with other Map users. There is a feature request in the forum that asks for a plugin to share these lists outside maps and hopefully the Maps API will cover it in the future or it is solved by providing us with an RSS/XML feed for this Map Content.

Once I find the link to this Feature Request, I shall come back to you, so you can support and/or contribute to this specific feature request 😉

Happy Mapping,

Jeroen