Shasi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Changing Village or City name

how to change the location name and Pin code. There are lots of places that are shown under wrong location/village/city and pin code.

Manipur, India
6 comments
Level 3

Re: Changing Village or City name

Yes. Very true. And more often than not, it can be a gigantic pain in one's a**. There must be a way for us to correct those names.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Shasi and @One_is_All generally village, town, and area names come from official sources and are unlikely to be changed. However, you can use the Send Feedback feature within the App and desktop Maps for these sorts of changes.

Regards Paul

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich in Google map more than 80% of location or business establishment are showing wrong postal address. If anyone is referring the address shown in the Map to reach there, they could never find the place. What I mean to say is, even if we marked a place at correct location, due to the wrong address provided by the Google Map, the address shown is of other places. 

I have no idea from where Google fetch the data for village name and pin code as they are different from official record.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Shasi Google Maps has physical addresses not postal addresses.

I think you're making a bit of a generalisation with your high percentage but I'm not in your country so I can't check what you say. I know the results local to me are fairly good. The addresses that are in Google have either added from many different sources including:

• Local Guides like you and I adding them
  • Map Maker users adding them (when Map Maker was available)
  • Google My Business
  • Interpreting Street View Images/Videos
  • Business Directories
  • etc.

If they are wrong and you're certain that they are, you're welcome to suggest edits via the Maps App and Maps on desktop.

Regards Paul

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich may you please elaborate the difference between Physical and Postal address.

If you are planning to visit my place by referring the address provided by Google, you will never reach. Address shown in the Google Map is of a very far away place of different route. 

Level 9

Hello @Shasi

Village is a one kind of polygon and polygon feature is disable on google maps at this moment. So you can't rename your village name by yourself. You need to report to Google Developers Team from Send feedback options and Google Developers Team will reviews your feedback then take appropriate steps for that. So please follow the steps:

Step 1: Open Google Maps and make sure you're signed in,
Step 2: Search for the place or tap it on the map
Step 2: In the top left, click the Menu, scroll down and select Send feedback.
Step 3: Choose Other feedback
Step 4: Describe your feedback and include a Screenshot of the area.
Step 5: Click Send.